RMAF 2014 - rooms and set-ups

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Would be great if some could share some insight of rooms and what their set-ups will consist of this year, it's right around the corner.

Anyone going to listen too something specific, if so what.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve,

will you be attending, I read you mentioned you were in for your second knee surgery yesterday. Hopefully everything went well for you and you will have a speedy recovery.

You took allot of great pics last year and shared which was appreciated.

Hi David

As I lie typing this from my hospital bed this will be the first RMAF I will have missed in years. It is my favorite North American audio show.

Enjoy the show and your room has taken on a new level with that gorgeous TT

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Now that I'm moving to Calgary, a visit to RMAF in the near future is becoming mighty tempting since I'll be a lot closer. I've only ever attended the SSI shows in Montreal and TAVES in Toronto, and won't be attending any in Western Canada as there are none (sadly). Well, at least none that I'm aware of. In the meantime I'll just follow this thread and wait for the opinions, observations and pictures of this year's show.

Hope you all have a great time!:)

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
At the bottom of the Exhibitor page is a link for a spreadsheet of all the rooms and exhibitors. This is helpful for seeing what other exhibitors/products are in a room. For example, if you wanted to see VTL Amplifiers you would see they are in Rm 2030. Checking the spreadsheet lets you know that Wilson Audio is also in that room.

The Floor Plan page is also very helpful. You can see where the rooms are on the floors and hover over the room to see the primary exhibitor. You then can quickly see what other exhibitors are on the same floor.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi David

As I lie typing this from my hospital bed this will be the first RMAF I will have missed in years. It is my favorite North American audio show.

That's too bad, was looking forward to finally meeting you. Appears to be a few not attending that I was looking forward to meeting and listening to their set-ups - too bad.

Thanks, my personal favorite source to date. I see you have been having allot of fun "ear opening experience" with isolation devises, it's amazing until we have heard it for the first time in our own system to realize what we have been missing all along.

I liked your old room but this one is also very nice. All the best

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
At the bottom of the Exhibitor page is a link for a spreadsheet of all the rooms and exhibitors. This is helpful for seeing what other exhibitors/products are in a room. For example, if you wanted to see VTL Amplifiers you would see they are in Rm 2030. Checking the spreadsheet lets you know that Wilson Audio is also in that room.

The Floor Plan page is also very helpful. You can see where the rooms are on the floors and hover over the room to see the primary exhibitor. You then can quickly see what other exhibitors are on the same floor.

Thanks, I opened that and it looked a little funky on my end, I'll try again - maybe it just didn't open properly.

How long would you say it will take to walk the entire show, popping into each exhibit for a bit.

Once done then one can back track to the rooms that really peak their interest to spend more time.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi David

I hope you have a speedy recovery Steve. I understand that PT for knee replacements is rather painful.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Now that I'm moving to Calgary, a visit to RMAF in the near future is becoming mighty tempting since I'll be a lot closer. I've only ever attended the SSI shows in Montreal and TAVES in Toronto, and won't be attending any in Western Canada as there are none (sadly). Well, at least none that I'm aware of. In the meantime I'll just follow this thread and wait for the opinions, observations and pictures of this year's show.

Hope you all have a great time!:)

That's quite the move Johnny. I hope you enjoy your new surroundings near BC.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Was about to go there, I wanted to meet some of you of yo uys and to hear some new gear ... Not this time again... Being too busy to just dart and go ... Bummer :(

it seems the RMAF has become th best High End Audio show in the US. I will try as well to go next year .. and to Munich too.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Hi David

It figures the first year I get around to setting up a room one of the most familiar faces I know at RMAF won't be there!

Best of luck with the recovery. Your presence will be missed. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's quite the move Johnny. I hope you enjoy your new surroundings near BC.

Thanks Christian. I'm sure I will as I've lived there before so I know what to expect.

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
Thanks, I opened that and it looked a little funky on my end, I'll try again - maybe it just didn't open properly.

How long would you say it will take to walk the entire show, popping into each exhibit for a bit.

Once done then one can back track to the rooms that really peak their interest to spend more time.

The spreadsheet is a database dump. Formatting is almost universally terrible when that is done, but all the data is there.

Here's how I handle the show:
Beforehand, I use the listings to figure out which rooms are of definite interest to me. I try to keep this list short, and it is mostly comprised of rooms with gear that I would consider purchasing based on reviews/word of mouth/budget.

On Friday I check in, grab a directory, and head to the top floor. I stop in each room and sit down for 2-3 minutes. I mark the room in the directory based on my initial impression. An X means I don't want to come back. An - means I'm ambivalent to the room. A ~ means come back if I have time. A * means definitely return. A blank room means I couldn't make an evaluation (room too full, too much talking, door closed for whatever reason).

On Friday night I redo a room list with the starred rooms and the rooms from my original list that I still want to see. I'll hit those on Saturday with my own music, if at all possible. I bring a burned CD of select classical tracks, and a CD of select non-classical tracks. What I listen to depends on what I hear in the room as I go, while I try to figure out what the strengths and weaknesses of the system are. Depending on how many rooms are on the list / how long you spend in each room, this can easily take the full day and spread into Sunday.

On Sunday I stop by CanJam and revisit my absolutely favorite rooms for some additional listening time.

Even with a good set system like this, I always end up seeing pictures and descriptions of a room that I overlooked and probably would have enjoyed, but oh well.

I don't bother with any of the seminars. I went to one the first year and determined that it's much easier to gather industry information and advice through online forums.

I will be attending this year, albeit only for Friday/Saturday. I plan on hitting the happy hour across the street, so hopefully I'll meet a few of you guys.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I will be there all three days and will be spending time in 1100 (AudioKinesis), Lupine (Atma-Sphere - Ground floor), and 412 (Bricasti), as well as getting around to see the show. Hope to see many of you there.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It figures the first year I get around to setting up a room one of the most familiar faces I know at RMAF won't be there!

Best of luck with the recovery. Your presence will be missed. :b

Hi Mark

You finally get a room at RMAF and for the first time in 5 years I won't be there.Knowing you Mark it will sound wonderful. Best wishes and I hope it goes well Mark

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Hi David

Hope you have a speedy recovery Steve. Will certainly miss your photos and coverage for RMAF on WBF.

Please, can someone else be a good audiophile samaritan on behalf of Steve and put some pics up as the show progresses.

Thanks,

Neville

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Steve,

Wishing you a speedy recovery :cool:

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Hi Mark

You finally get a room at RMAF and for the first time in 5 years I won't be there.Knowing you Mark it will sound wonderful. Best wishes and I hope it goes well Mark

I was in this room today and found it quite impressive. The speakers aren't the eye candy that some are, but the imaging, depth and soundstage were among the best of any room I heard today. Very impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing