ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Windoze 8 is so terrible, MS wants people to believe their next OS is TWO versions beyond the abortion that Windoze 8 is.

Remember Longhorn? It was dumped because they couldn't make it work, so they came out with Vista, another abortion. Finally, they came out with Windoze 7 which is a stable reliable OS.

Maybe they were working on Windoze 9 and dumped that too.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is not much mystery behind skipping "9." Nine is a bad number in Japanese culture and with that market being third largest for Microsoft, they would never use that for a product name. I suspect Apple will skip over 9 for iOS for the same reason.

By the way, Windows 7 is a cleaned up version of Vista. All the heavy lifting was doing in Vista. Windows 7 was simply two years of cleaning and optimization which made it market ready. All the innovations and major rewrites occurred in Vista. That history not being remembered caused folks who led Windows 7 to become heros, only to have their time of reckoning come when they screwed up Windows 8. That team had no experience developing Windows and copied the model from Office which was an entirely different animal.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I never understood all the hate for Windows 8. We have it on three machines at my house and have no issues.

We installed Classic Shell as well to boot to the desktop but use the new Start screen, too.

Looking forward to Windows 10 - always fun to learn something new.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Another thumbs-up for Classic Shell! :D. I won't be upgrading as I'm due for a new desktop next year.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Windows is the core Microsoft product and they can't seem to consistently release acceptable, or even stable upgrades. It always seems to take a couple of tries. It is an absolute marvel that they're still in business. No, it's really not. They have a near monopoly. If there was ever an argument in favor of stronger anti trust enforcement it is Microsoft. It firmly supports the notion that a guaranteed market guarantees mediocrity. I used to think they just didn't care about the customer, but this last boner, a result of trying to merge tablet and PC operating systems, was all about the customer experience. It was just hopelessly clueless. These dudes are seriously out of touch. We are way past time for an alternative OS.

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There is not much mystery behind skipping "9." Nine is a bad number in Japanese culture and with that market being third largest for Microsoft, they would never use that for a product name. I suspect Apple will skip over 9 for iOS for the same reason. . . . .

As I recall from ancient computer history, Apple had OS 9 prior to OS X and there was another company whose OS name was OS 9 and they were unhappy that Apple called their (at the time) new operating system, OS 9.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Windows 8.1 is actually 8+1=9. :)

I load Classic Shell immediately on all Windows 8 computers I build for others and for our company. The Windows 8 experience is completely seamless for them coming off Windows 7 or Vista. I left Classic Shell off my latest Haswell-E build for myself just to see how "bad" the Windows 8 experience really is. After a couple of days I really liked it, especially all the app integration for e-mail, weather, etc. There is also easier and quicker access to many control panel settings.

I bought my first Android phone back in April (Samsung Galaxy 4G). It was actually my first phone that didn't just make calls. The learning curve for Android is much higher than transitioning from Windows 7 to Windows 8. However, once you get used to a smartphone you really can't imagine being without one.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was not aware of the Number 9 Japanese superstition... So we have unlucky numbers 4, 9 and 13; any others?. Apparently lucky 8 didn't work well for Microsoft. And #9 is apparently an auspicious number for the Chinese - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture
You learn something every day.

PS: By the same token, there shouldn't have been an IE9

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I recall from ancient computer history, Apple had OS 9 prior to OS X and there was another company whose OS name was OS 9 and they were unhappy that Apple called their (at the time) new operating system, OS 9.
Ah yes, they did have Mac OS 9. Their share of business in Japan though was pretty small then. I they own 1/3 of smartphone market in Japan now. Any such naming would have to pass muster with the powerful carriers there.

Ultimately it depends on who is in charge of such things. In some companies it is automatic exclusion. In others, not so much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing