Putting out feelers to sell one or two Studer A807

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
I have a customer that just dropped off two Studer A807 w/meter bridge and genuine Studer roll around stands. I have not looked at them yet, but can tell you the following:

-both came from the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) when they went digital. THey liquidated a bunch of Revox and Studer stuff, I've seen at least two others through here.
-heavy use, lots of razor cut marks around the splicing block. Really bad on one deck, moderate on the other.
-play only deck, no record electronics or heads installed.
-one had the pinch roller disintegrate when the customer touched it. Will need a new one or a build by Terry's Rollers.

Keep in mind that even if these had heavy use, the CBC generally kept their equipment in good running shape. I haven't even powered up yet, but the customer has indicated that he wants to sell at least one, if not both of them. I know there's lots of gurus and tweakers here, so as a playback only deck, you can mod these to your heart's content. My customer bought these with the hopes that he could add a record section, but it would be cost prohibitive, so he has no use for these.

I will check these out this week, and can post back, but want to see what the interest is here prior to putting them on eBay for him once I know the condition of the deck. Customer knows that an offer of $150 won't fly, but he's not trying to get top dollar either. Pls post here with your comments, etc. BTW, I am in Vancouver, Canada, but can deal with customs and ship from Blaine Wa, 98230 so anyone in the US sees the decks as a domestic shipment.

thanks!
Curt

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Well, I bought the one sans pinch roller, as I had a spare here at the 'Casa El Harvo'
It's newer than mine, much better cosmetically, but man oh man was the tape path ever dirty... The things been sitting awhile I guess.
When I played a reel it sounded like a blender or something. All of the spinning parts needed attention. It's running like a champ now, however, brakes and tension need adjusting.
Thanks for the heads up Curt.
It's nice that these military grade transports can still be had on the cheap!
So... Two reproducers... Now all I need is a recorder!
Never ends

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Weird, must be tapes he ran through, as I completely cleaned the tape path when it left here. Glad you got one. All I did was do basic frequency response checks, I told him that it was flat to 20Khz, but that it did need transport work..

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Weird, must be tapes he ran through, as I completely cleaned the tape path when it left here. Glad you got one. All I did was do basic frequency response checks, I told him that it was flat to 20Khz, but that it did need transport work..

Oh!! I bought the one with no pinch roller;
All it needed was a little love. It's running just great with an outboard preamp
Happy 2015

carlosraj

Oct 22, 2017
I have a customer that just dropped off two Studer A807 w/meter bridge and genuine Studer roll around stands. I have not looked at them yet, but can tell you the following:

-both came from the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) when they went digital. THey liquidated a bunch of Revox and Studer stuff, I've seen at least two others through here.
-heavy use, lots of razor cut marks around the splicing block. Really bad on one deck, moderate on the other.
-play only deck, no record electronics or heads installed.
-one had the pinch roller disintegrate when the customer touched it. Will need a new one or a build by Terry's Rollers.

Keep in mind that even if these had heavy use, the CBC generally kept their equipment in good running shape. I haven't even powered up yet, but the customer has indicated that he wants to sell at least one, if not both of them. I know there's lots of gurus and tweakers here, so as a playback only deck, you can mod these to your heart's content. My customer bought these with the hopes that he could add a record section, but it would be cost prohibitive, so he has no use for these.

I will check these out this week, and can post back, but want to see what the interest is here prior to putting them on eBay for him once I know the condition of the deck. Customer knows that an offer of $150 won't fly, but he's not trying to get top dollar either. Pls post here with your comments, etc. BTW, I am in Vancouver, Canada, but can deal with customs and ship from Blaine Wa, 98230 so anyone in the US sees the decks as a domestic shipment.

thanks!
Curt

Hi,

Are there any left for sale.

Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing