Synergistic Research PHT- Phono Transducer

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Similar to the Walker Audio stone that you are suppose to attach to your cartridge. I would think that all of these tweaks would just add vibrations/coloration to the cartridge. Whether or not some will find the result appealing I do not know. Seems counter productive to me. I have no personal experience with them though.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think the Walker stone effects the magnetic fields or something. This SR product looks like it resonates like a bowl at some frequency and they describe eight different variants of this tiny bowl, I presume each having a slightly different flavor. Or perhaps it effects how the cartridge resonates in the head shell. Perhaps each of the eight has a slightly different weight and will thus sound different if the user forgets to adjust the VTF. I'm sure it's clear I have no real idea about this thing. Just pure speculation.

Resonating objects can have interesting effects. I tried one and it excited a frequency in my room to the point that it drew a lot of attention to itself, and I took it out of the room. Very subject thing, IME.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Cartridges are pretty sensitive to vibration. I have no doubt they will do something to the sound. There is not much harm in trying them out.

The price of these are a bit much IMO. I would not buy them, but if someone brought them over I would try them out.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Anybody spent any $$ and taken the 30 day no risk money back guarantee?

Do they do anything?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I hear there is a rave review coming out by a very respected reviewer.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I use a "clone" of the Walker Audio method on my headshell, consisting of a brilliant cut stone of black tourmaline. Both VTA and VTF need to be adjusted to insure proper tracking. I do adjust VTA for every LP by its weight.

My results are neither negative or positive to date. Still too early to tell. My cost: less than 6.00.....

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It's pretty remarkable to me that all the highly regarded, high end tonearm and cartridge manufacturers have all missed or ignored what SR's devices will do for their tonearms and that this ONE little device will make all the tonearms better.

WOW! I had no idea that Walker, Clearaudio and all the other high end tonearm and cartridge designers had no idea what they were doing!

Nice going SR! :p

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I would love to see what SR could do for the perforce of my car!:D. I am sure the folks at MB would be interested!

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I bit the bullet after Fremers review, my girlfriend and I both felt they detracted from the sound. I am going to return them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing