Wilson WP and ARC

thearcfan

Sep 27, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all,

New here - just got my second set of Wilsons. The first set was a pair of Cubs with the Sound Anchor stands - I loved that sound, but grew tired of having to have a subwoofer :cool:

Now I finally found the funds for the speakers I had longed for since the early nineties - Watt/Puppy - the speakers that most other speakers are compared to.

I found a pair of 6'es in Biarritz White in Germany, negotiated a decent price and had them shipped in Sascha boxes, no less :)

wp6-i-kasser.jpg W_P6-5.jpg

To drive them i use Audio Research all the way, VTM-120SE mono blocks, LS16MkII pre DAC7, and PH5 - all in all a pretty happy camper at the moment.

thearcfan

Sep 27, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks, Steve - I have had them for about a month now, and the grin on my face is growing day by day as I get them tuned in to the room.

I had a guy with a microphone a the knowledge of using it and the software - amazingly enough I only had two peaks at around 50 Hz and 650 Hz - put a filter into JRiver and badabing softer, more pleasant bass. And I really don't need basstraps or diffusors, they play very linear in my living room :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations on a great system.

I see you are a knowledge audiophile - you bought the best value for money in used Wilson speakers - the 6's are significantly better than the 5's I have owned long ago and are much less expensive than a pair of 7's that followed them.

thearcfan

Sep 27, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am in the process of getting new cables for my system - not that I don't like the ones I have, pure sliver from Duelund, but I read all over that Transparent is the way to go with ARC and Wilson :) Only question is which TA's?? My budget doesn't allow Opus :) but there must be something in the maybe Premium Series that come close? Are Ultra twice as good as Super?? Or are there minimal differences? Anyone know which are in the WP 6?

Thanks
Henrik

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I am in the process of getting new cables for my system - not that I don't like the ones I have, pure sliver from Duelund, but I read all over that Transparent is the way to go with ARC and Wilson :) Only question is which TA's?? My budget doesn't allow Opus :) but there must be something in the maybe Premium Series that come close? Are Ultra twice as good as Super?? Or are there minimal differences? Anyone know which are in the WP 6?

Thanks
Henrik

I just went through this when I changed Wilson speakers. I believe the minimum you start at would be the "Super" line of cables. They are "up-gradable". The jump from Super to Ultra is not as big as Super to Reference. You can always buy Super at the new Gen5 spec, or save money and buy Reference at MM2 spec if available? Just a thought. Enjoy the Watt/Puppy, it's a fantastic speaker.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I am about to try a signal cable loom of Ref MM2 in my own Wilson Alexia / ARC rig. My dealer is offering their prior demo cables, and the price I am paying will allow me to trade them for more than I am paying when/if I move to gen 5. He said Ultra Gen5 will outperform RefMM2, but if I plan to move up the line I'll get the most value starting with these demo cables. I also get to audition the full loom for a week. (And, he'll make sure they send optimized for my rig.)

I hope to get a loom of Shunyata Anaconda from the Cable Company to compare them to.

As people are moving up to Gen5, used Ref MM2 and above is becomming available at good prices.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am about to try a signal cable loom of Ref MM2 in my own Wilson Alexia / ARC rig. My dealer is offering their prior demo cables, and the price I am paying will allow me to trade them for more than I am paying when/if I move to gen 5. He said Ultra Gen5 will outperform RefMM2, but if I plan to move up the line I'll get the most value starting with these demo cables. I also get to audition the full loom for a week. (And, he'll make sure they send optimized for my rig.)

I hope to get a loom of Shunyata Anaconda from the Cable Company to compare them to.

As people are moving up to Gen5, used Ref MM2 and above is becomming available at good prices.

I have been disappointed by the supply of used Ref MM2, and have not observed a drop in price. What ballpark discount are you getting on the demo's if I may ask?

I compared the Transparent Reference with Shunyata (SC + ICs), and ended up selling the Shunyatas.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have been disappointed by the supply of used Ref MM2, and have not observed a drop in price. What ballpark discount are you getting on the demo's if I may ask?

I compared the Transparent Reference with Shunyata (SC + ICs), and ended up selling the Shunyatas.

About 50% of retail. I am told since they're just one generation back, if I trade them in I'll get 60% of the original retail price towards new Gen 5 stuff. Good to work with my dealer in this case vs. buying on Agon.

thearcfan

Sep 27, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
There seems to be a new Transparent distributor here in Denmark - I'll see if he will let me borrow af few different ic's and speaker cables.

Are you, in the US, normally paying full retail for cables?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing