Kharma Veyron

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
The Kharma Enigma Veyron System will come with 4 Monoblock Power Amp , Pre-amp , 8 units Subwoofer , DSP , Power Distribution ,.....:eek:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What is interesting...is that it is smoothing out and starting to look like an Arrakis. Instead of 2 front-firing woofers, the Arrakis has create 2 separately angle side chambers for dual 15" woofers. I have auditioned them in HK, and remember thinking I would love to have a pair of matching Rockport subs to just FILL the space. It was a remarkable experience in any event, but that enveloping sense that comes from endless bass (dual bass towers, etc)...is just something special for bass freaks.

...and it seems like that is what Kharma is suggesting here...

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
KHARMA ENIGMA VEYRON SYSTEM:)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How much? :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
How much? :b

Seven figures for sure. Unlike $250K amps, I see seven figures worth of "value" here, in terms of design and build cost, considering extremely small production runs. Ironically, $250K amps will be selling in far higher numbers, not for lack of people that can afford to throw a mil at their speakers (the same crowd that is buying the $250K amp), but for lack of people that are both rich and serious enough about their audio hobby to build the type of room needed to accommodate this type system.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
What is interesting...is that it is smoothing out and starting to look like an Arrakis. Instead of 2 front-firing woofers, the Arrakis has create 2 separately angle side chambers for dual 15" woofers. I have auditioned them in HK, and remember thinking I would love to have a pair of matching Rockport subs to just FILL the space. It was a remarkable experience in any event, but that enveloping sense that comes from endless bass (dual bass towers, etc)...is just something special for bass freaks.

...and it seems like that is what Kharma is suggesting here...

the concept for the Veyron is similar to what Von Schweikert is doing with the VR111XS (which is similar to the Evolution Acoustics MM7's) except with adding DSP, each subwoofer in a separate cabinet and adding monoblocks.

i suppose the idea of separate subwoofers and dsp is to allow for separation of the subwoofers for best room integration. my point would be that anyone with this type setup would have a custom room to begin with, and would not want subwoofers everywhere asthetically. a separate bass tower instead of separate subs would allow for time alignment for optimal waveform launch. seemingly difficult to do that with 8 separate subs.

i wonder if these monoblocks also are class D like the other Kharma amps?

knowing Charles Von Oostrom i'm sure the fit and finish is over-the-top.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
except with adding DSP, each subwoofer in a separate cabinet and adding monoblocks.

This would be a huge difference, because I assume running through a DSP involves digitization of an analog source signals, which would be a cardinal sin to purists......

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
This would be a huge difference, because I assume running through a DSP involves digitization of an analog source signals, which would be a cardinal sin to purists......

while i agree that that is an issue......the megabuck Asian markets this is aimed at are not as sensitive to that issue as more rabid audiophiles might be.

they like great sound, but they love bling bling.

the guy stroking the check for this is likely not at your monthly audio club meeting.;)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
while i agree that that is an issue......the megabuck Asian markets this is aimed at are not as sensitive to that issue as more rabid audiophiles might be.

they like great sound, but they love bling bling.

the guy stroking the check for this is likely not at your monthly audio club meeting.;)

The upshot is you can probably save yourself half a million by buying just the towers, getting a SOTA digital crossover, (potentially with DRC), and use an array of JL Gothams (or equivalent). Big compromise on the aesthetics though....

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The upshot is you can probably save yourself half a million by buying just the towers, getting a SOTA digital crossover, (potentially with DRC), and use an array of JL Gothams (or equivalent). Big compromise on the aesthetics though....

yes; but the whole idea here is that it's a plug and play system where the dealer sets it up and the buyer does not have to decide about synergy, he just says yes. then he changes tracks on his (likely) CD player or server and adjusts volume. it's that simple.

another 'system' like this, but maybe more for the more esoteric audiophile is the full-tilt boggie big Genesis Dragon with the Genesis amps and crossover. Gary avoids dsp and uses a bass tower instead of 8 subs. Genesis does not build their own preamp, but i know Gary has his favorites. but it does eliminate the customer from having to think about amps and set-up.

these type systems are aimed similarly.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
yes; but the whole idea here is that it's a plug and play system where the dealer sets it up and the buyer does not have to decide about synergy, he just says yes. then he changes tracks on his (likely) CD player or server and adjusts volume. it's that simple.

another 'system' like this, but maybe more for the more esoteric audiophile is the full-tilt boggie big Genesis Dragon with the Genesis amps and crossover. Gary avoids dsp and uses a bass tower instead of 8 subs. Genesis does not build their own preamp, but i know Gary has his favorites. but it does eliminate the customer from having to think about amps and set-up.

these type systems are aimed similarly.

Probably, but the chances that this Kharma dealer happens to be an expert in DSP/DRC and mains / sub integration are pretty slim. I would say getting say a 16 channel digital Trinnov processor with digital in/out, and using an array of SOTA dacs + and "commodity" subs AND have the system setup and calibrated by someone that does this type of project for a living (typically in complex HT applications), will get you better results than getting some Chinese ultra expensive audio gear dealer to set up an all Kharma system. Moot point, because the Asian prospective owner of this system would probably rather commit hara kiri that suffer the humiliation of taking this plebeian approach.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Probably, but the chances that this Kharma dealer happens to be an expert in DSP/DRC and mains / sub integration are pretty slim.

that system would be set up by Charles Von Oostrom.....not a dealer.

i owned Kharma Exquisite Reference speakers for 4 years, and spent time at a few audio shows with Charles, the owner/designer of Kharma. Brilliant guy, and his products are outstanding if a bit over priced for most markets. if Charles designed dsp into his system then i'd bet he has got a serious handle on it.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
that system would be set up by Charles Von Oostrom.....not a dealer.

i owned Kharma Exquisite Reference speakers for 4 years, and spent time at a few audio shows with Charles, the owner/designer of Kharma. Brilliant guy, and his products are outstanding if a bit over priced for most markets. if Charles designed dsp into his system then i'd bet he has got a serious handle on it.

OK. That makes sense. Never underestimate the Dutch - very quick learners.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Is it just me, but do those photos look super imposed or fake?

It does not look like a real room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is it just me, but do those photos look super imposed or fake?

It does not look like a real room.

agree...it looks like a CGI to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing