Tube amp recommendations for TAD R-1

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Longtime lurker, but first time poster here.

I've been upgrading my system from pretty good to pretty fantastic. I've recently addressed my analog front end and have it almost where I want it. I'd like to address my speakers and amp next. Love the look of the R-1's and what I've been able to read. Just need to find a place to listen to them.

I'd really like to stick with tube amplifiers. I'd be stretching my budget on the R-1's, so I'd like to stay in the $10K-20K range on amp. Used is fine. Any suggestions?

Anything I should know about the R-1's and pairing it with other equipment?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
You should hunt down Joeinid for his thoughts- he's the TAD expert.

Thanks Keith,

I'm no expert but tried more than a few amps when I had the TAD CR-1's One of the better amps is the Music Reference RM-200T mark II. If 100 wpc is enough (it is for me), please try and listen to one. The other amazing amp, for my taste, is Conrad Johnson ART monos. I suspect the ARTsa would be awesome too. Just beautiful music coming from the TADs with these amps. My taste is on the warmer side of neutral for maximum enjoyment. To me, the TADs are like spotlights and need a little taming.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Keith,

I'm no expert but tried more than a few amps when I had the TAD CR-1's One of the better amps is the Music Reference RM-200T mark II. If 100 wpc is enough (it is for me), please try and listen to one. The other amazing amp, for my taste, is Conrad Johnson ART monos. I suspect the ARTsa would be awesome too. Just beautiful music coming from the TADs with these amps. My taste is on the warmer side of neutral for maximum enjoyment. To me, the TADs are like spotlights and need a little taming.

Having auditioned the TAD Ref Ones in Japan at TADs room, I would be inclined to agree that my personal preference/instinct would have been to put some seriously powerful tube amps behind them like CJ ARTs. I don't know the ARTs but have owned 4 CJ pieces over the last 14-15 years, and feel like they are definitely worth a try with the TADs.

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
Having owned first the M1 and now the R1, I've tried a few amps with them over the years, but always sticking to solid state. They do like power and can be very unforgiving if the amp is even slightly bright. The R1 is much more forgiving. Currently I have the Constellation Performance Series monos and the new Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC. The sound is truly amazing, even when the source is my Samsung TV. If watching a show you hear a phone ring, or vibrate as they now do, it's hard to tell whether it's the TV or a real phone ... On high resolution material or good CDs they are insanely good.

I've not heard the more economical Constellation Inspiration series, but I would think you may want to give them a try. Even though these are solid state designs, the timbal coloring these amps offer is amazing. My concern is tubes may not control the large ported woofers in the R1 and could glare a bit with the beryllium tweeter, but I'm sure there are some excellent tube amps that sound great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing