Anyone using an Active Crossover?

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Is anyone using an Active Crossover in their system?
I have been thinking about using one for my sub. Or maybe hooking one up in 3 way mode, connecting the the sub, and then two amps to drive the speakers.

If you using one, which one are you using?

Why do you like one over the other, if you have shopped around.

Thanks

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Because I listen mostly to vinyl, I use analog active crossover Accuphase F 25. I am not saying that digital crossovers are worse or better, I just like to keep my front end in the analog domain. Other good choices for analog active crossovers would be Accuphase F 15/15L (bargain for sound quality) or the Marchand active crossovers with choice of tube or solid state types.
The digital active crossovers come in a dizzying array of prices/options. I have never used one, so I can't comment, but if your system is all digital, there is no reason not to preferentially go with the digital crossovers.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I'd venture a guess that everyone using a subwoofer has an active crossover somewhere in their system. As for me, while I have used active crossovers to biamp my speakers (and feed my sub) in the past, at the moment I am using just the crossovers built in to my subs (Rythmik F12s).

I used mostly custom crossovers in the past, with brief time spent with an ARC (tube) unit, a Soundcraftsman, and a variety of professional units I robbed from my live sound system to try out over the years. I always seemed to find it easier to just roll my own with the exact specs I wanted using the minimal circuits, and also because I often went for soft slopes (did not need high slopes) and phase-linear (constant group delay) designs to improve transient response.

I had never heard of "passive biamping" until recently and it still mystifies me somewhat.

Of course, a lot of things are still a mystery to me... :) - Don

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
As Don said, if you have a sub you most likely have an active crossover there. In my living room home theater I use Mackie 624 active speakers, which are bi-amped. And in my home studio (different room and system) I have large old-school JBL speakers which are bi-amped with just over 1 KW from a pair of Crown PowerBase amplifiers. That system uses a Rane active crossover.

Active speakers are typically bi-amped, which often yields a cleaner sound with less distortion. And bi-amping offers more ways to optimize the crossover performance because it uses active rather than passive components. Also, the power amps will be well matched to the speakers, they won't have a fan, and the wires from amp to speaker are shorter which improves damping. But to me the overwhelming advantage, as implemented in the Mackies anyway, is that the woofer cone's motion can be included within the power amp's feedback loop to reduce distortion by a significant amount. But even with separates, bi-amping can lower distortion significantly.

--Ethan

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Yes I am using active an active crossover to manage my multiple subs in my system. Now I am going to use a word that the "audiophile" community seems to just love to hate. I use a Behringer DCX 2496 for my sub management. It gives me the ability to set the crossover points as well as set the delay and phase settings as well as many other options for each of my 5 subs independently. Also for what its worth I also use Behringer amps to power the subs. I have found the DCX 2496 to be an excellent unit to manage the subwoofers, I have had the unit for over 5 years but just recently started using it, I've had it in storage for a couple of years now.

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I am going to dip into these crossover waters with a Rane AC23s units.
I know someone who has the Bryston 10B unit, that seems to work very well, but I want to test the waters with something a little less expensive at first.

so far you folks have given me some good info to chew on.

Thanks

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
For subs, the little Behringer units are a good deal (there's also a cheaper model than the 2496 for single channels) and provide lots of flexibility for helping tame room modes. Some programs, like RPlusD, will even calculate the coefficients to feed into the unit after analysis.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For subs, the little Behringer units are a good deal (there's also a cheaper model than the 2496 for single channels) and provide lots of flexibility for helping tame room modes. Some programs, like RPlusD, will even calculate the coefficients to feed into the unit after analysis.

I second (third?) the BehringerDCX 2496 as a sub Active crossover, infintely flexible although the learning curve is rather steep. Really cheap unit at less than $300 with a bewildering level of flexibility...

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I have 3 active crossovers I use in my HT. I have a 3 way active system in my HT for the front 2 channels and use 3 active sub-woofers as well They are JBL M552 and M553 24db L/R analog crossovers. I also use a BX-63A for my LFE sub-woofer.

In my stereo set up I have a JBL DX-1 crossover for bi-amping 3 systems. They are L250TI Jubilees, XPL200A and 4344 large format monitors. The DX-1 is also analog and uses custom built crossover cards for the correct voltage drives for the system being Bi-amped.

Rob:)

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
I'm pretty sure REW has just added the dcx 2496 to the supported units.

I have not had a lot of luck with the dcx, guess that goes with the territory...cheaper price means maybe more quality control problems?? Get a unit that works and is stable, then yeah go for it.

I never knock behringer. And, if you fear the results of the behringer in the main chain (fair enough) I would have no problems on subs. Tome delay, (limited but substantial) eq. I think it was frantz that mentioned a steep learning curve?? I would agree to a degree naturalee haha.

If you use the manual, arrgghhh, forget it! Being a bit of pro gear it presupposes a lot of knowledge from the user.

And it is really confusing to use the front panel of the unit.

there is a much better way yo go, and can be done without an actual unit, ie you can just play with it on your computer and get the feel.

It is the computer interface (when used between the computer and the unit you use the old RS 232 link, or whatever it is called)

The GUI with that (free download from the behringer site) is real intuitive and easy to use, I think anyone would find it a cinch to use and just forget the manual.

I have an active four way with two pairs of subs, run by two deqx units. The only comparison between units I have done is the dcx 2496 which, whilst good and excellent value, is not anyway close to the deqx. (ha! reckon the dcx has a steep learning curve!) So cannot really help you much further.

But yes, check out the dcx. Almost cheap enough that you can simply get it for experimentation purposes.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Terry, you can't really compare the two unit with each other as they are two completely different pieces of equipment that have two different functions. I own both of the units but only use the DCX 2496 right now, and I have had no trouble at all with either unit. The DCX 2496 is a speaker management device that while it can do some EQ duties its main design and purpose is as a digital active crossover system. While the DEQ 2496 is designed to be a digital equalizer...Graphic,Parametric,and Dynamic, it also has a real time analyzer. So to say the DCX 2496 is not anyway close to the DEQ just isn't a fair or correct comparison. Both units are extreme bargains at their prices and are both very versatile units when used for their intended design.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
DWR

The DEQX is a completely differently system from this company. A digital room, speaker correction and active crossover. Much more sophisticated than the Behringer and a lot more too. Two different animals

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
no worries DWR. That confusion happens all the time! Anyways, how does the toe jam taste today?? hhahaha.

All i meant abour the dcx and it's problems, were reliability issues. I have had two, both have had fifferent problems.

Others have had the dcx with no problems, that was all. The actual functionality and capability I was not questioning. Tho, esp in the more refined systems, maybe it is not the ideal ticket. Subs in those systems?? no worries I reckon.

Re the deq 2496, others have had problems with that unit, whereas I have not!! So, I simply put that down to some bad apples sneaking thru every now and then, which probably reflects their asking price?

In fact, I use the deq on my suns WITH the deqx (not deq 2496, that other one). I had sealed subs sitting around unused, which did not have the frequency response I needed. I spent a lot of time doing sims and calculating what type of bandpass to build with my drivers, to get the response I wanted.

THEN, I realised I could make the subs do that response if I used the deq 2496, and save all that hassle of building a big bandpass. Talk about slow eh?

So now I tailor the subs to do exactly what I want first, then run it all with the deqx.

So in fact I use both ends of the quality spectrum.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Oh I know the Behringer quality issues are pretty well documented, it is nice to see some people using equipment from both ends of the price spectrum here. And yes I agree with your comment on their asking price.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing