Best Brands in Everything!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. I have an idea that requires participation from majority of the membership to work. So I hope you contribute :).

The idea is this. What are the top-3 brands in products that we may be interest in? If I wanted to build a fish tank, what the top brands in pumps? What are the top brands in binoculars? Golf? Skiing? Appliances?

The idea is not to make the list definitive but rather, provide rather safe choices that are one of the best. Take cars. I think we can all agree that BMW and Mercedes would be two such brands. If someone knew nothing about cars whatsoever and had just inherited a pile of cash, those would be the two brands they should look at if they don't want to spend ton of time researching the field.

Let's take major kitchen appliances. There I would say Subzero is a safe choice in high-end fridges. Miele and Bosch are top premium brands in dishwashers.

For smartphones, that would be Apple and Samsung. Yes there are lots and lots of other brands but if you want to know the safest choices without doing your own homework, those are it.

I have had this problem as I jump into new hobbies. It is hard to know what are the well-knowns and well-respected manufacturers where if money was not the issue, they would have high chance of satisfying their needs.

It would be fantastic to have a library of such brands for each product area. I am happy to organize and maintain the list. Everyone is free to pick a new area and propose their top brands. We can then have a discussion from people who are knowledgeable in that area and we agree on the top-3 brands.

This idea has been in my mind for quite a while but I could not resolve one critical flaw in it: that is, what are those three brands for audio? I am confident we could not get consensus on that. So my solution it to punt that :). Let's focus on other areas first and make quick progress so that I know which lawnmower, power washer, toaster oven, boat, etc. I should look at before resolving that.

So what do you think guys? Can you pick one of your other hobbies and quickly give the top brands in them? I see that zz post such a list in the tree pruners thread:

Bahco - Great
Felco - Great
Silky Saws - Great
All trimmers need proper cleaning & oiling after use.
I also keep the cheaper units around for trimming near dirt [sheetrock saw, etc.].

zz.
I had not heard of any of these brands as I never researched that area and rather go by recommendations like this than spending a ton of time researching for something that I need just now and that may be it.

---------------------------------

Here are the nominations so far. Thanks for everyone who contributed:

Binoculars: Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica

bicycles:
Racing:Eduardo Bianchi.

Cars: Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Bentley

Clarinets
Rossi by Louis Rossi
Fox by Steven Fox
Buffet

Fish Tank Pumps:
Eheim, Fluval and Marineland

Golf Clubs: Ping, Nike, Taylor Made

Irons

1. Fourteen 930 and 777
2. Tourstage X-Blade (By Bridgestone - manufactures for Nike)
3. Titleist CB and AP2

Putters

1. Bettinardi B8
2. Scotty Cameron TC Newport II
3. Taylormade Ghost

Drivers

1. Titleist 913 D2
2. Taylormade Jet Speed
3. Fourteen G Long D

Balls

1. Titleist Pro V1x
2. Titleist Pro V1
3. Callaway Hex

Shafts

1. Tour AD YS Series
2. Fujikura Speeder Series
3. Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki Series

Piano's: Bosendorfer, Steinway, Bechstein, Fazioli
Smartphones: Samsung, Apple, (no #3)
Watches: Breguet, Blancpain, Patek Philippe

Whisky
If I have to hit a label "blind"
- Springbank (10, 15 but especially the 18 and 21)
- Ardberg (Supernova)
- Lagavulin 16, 21
- Macallan (18, 30)...a bit too many commercialized bottles now
- Yoichi (20)
- Sazerac 18-yr Rye (Bourbon made of rye...18-yr is particularly stunning)

Rum
- Diplomatico (Reserva 12)
- Demerara Rums (older vintages...1975 insanely good)

Vokda
- Kaufmann Pvt Reserve
- Konik's Tail
- Russian Standard Platinum
- the first two are like clear nectar, no burn, slightly thick and you can drink it with a straw. Its that good...like nothing in vodka ever
- The first is stupidly expensive...but I would take the Konik's Tail over anything I have ever tried up to the Kauffman Pvt Reserve price point.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Well, for binos I would certainly say Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica. There are for sure other brands that is top notch but these three "alfas" can never ever be a bad choice (from a quality perspective). I have the mighty Swarovski 8,5x42 EL Swarovision and the quality and optics are so insanely good...It really does feel like an extension of your eyesight.

For refractor telescopes (well, I am a amateur astronomer) I must say that Astro-Physics and TEC is SOTA (both american made) with the Japanese brand Takahashi as a close third.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
There are so many luxury items that are all about personal preference, look and feel and many times boutique, vs those that are well known luxury brands and have more "popular" of a following. Ror instance, nobody would question whether Rolex was a well regarded luxury brand, but I personally feel that it pales in comparison with Breguet, or Blancpain, or Vacheron Constantin, or Patek Philippe.

Same with Golf clubs, what works for a pro will certainly not work for a 20 handicap player. Much of what works best is also customized and fitted to the player. So it's more than brand, it's also individual models.

So we coould get a list of things we personally like, but I think it might mean as much as a Rolling Stones Magazine "best of" list.

Rant over, so what I like ...

Watches: Breguet, Blancpain, Patek Philippe
Cars: Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Bentley
Golf Clubs: Ping, Nike, Taylor Made
Cellphones: Samsung, Apple, (no #3)
Piano's: Bosendorfer, Steinway, Bechstein

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Masterchief and Bob. I do appreciate the complexity of making such recommendations.

Maybe the way to make this easier is to think of what brands people should know about that are top of the food chain. Research can start there.

Let me give you a funny story about fishing. In Puget Sound a favorite way to fish for Salmon is with a downrigger. That is a device that is kind of like a fishing spool and line except that the line is usually steel and super strong. You hang a big weight to it and then your real fishing line to its line. You then send the big weight down to the depth you want. Without it, your lure/line would be too light and would not go down straight so you wouldn't know how deep you have gone. I wanted to get one and the "top" brand seemed to be Cannon. Why Cannon? Well, they advertised a lot and sounded like my Canon camera so I thought it must one of the best. Turns out the best was from another company called Scotty. And that is what I eventually bought but not until I did a lot of research, read the reviews, the construction details, etc. If someone had told me to look at Scotty the way I just did, it would have saved me a ton of work and steered me away from a worse choice.

Speaking of fishing, that is probably like audio where there are so many ways to fish that there is no one brand stands out. I would think though that when it comes to Reels, Shimano would be one of the three?

Speaking of Shimano, are they still in bike gearing/transmission business? If so, are they tops there or are there other brands? How about the top brands in the typical bike categories?

Kayaks anyone?

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Speaking of Shimano, are they still in bike gearing/transmission business? If so, are they tops there or are there other brands? How about the top brands in the typical bike categories?

Well, talking about "best" in bikes is a no no. There are so many fanboys in cycling and as in sports, many have their favorites and stick to it for life. Usually the more esoteric brands have the most hardcore fanboys, like Colnago and Carrera. And Campagnolo fans...well...it is more like a religion.

For gearing/transmission Shimano is certainly SOTA together with Campa and SRAM. It is just a matter of taste.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Golf Top 3s

Irons

1. Fourteen 930 and 777
2. Tourstage X-Blade (By Bridgestone - manufactures for Nike)
3. Titleist CB and AP2

Putters

1. Bettinardi B8
2. Scotty Cameron TC Newport II
3. Taylormade Ghost

Drivers

1. Titleist 913 D2
2. Taylormade Jet Speed
3. Fourteen G Long D

Balls

1. Titleist Pro V1x
2. Titleist Pro V1
3. Callaway Hex

Shafts

1. Tour AD YS Series
2. Fujikura Speeder Series
3. Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki Series

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Whisky
If I have to hit a label "blind"
- Springbank (10, 15 but especially the 18 and 21)
- Ardberg (Supernova)
- Lagavulin 16, 21
- Macallan (18, 30)...a bit too many commercialized bottles now
- Yoichi (20)
- Sazerac 18-yr Rye (Bourbon made of rye...18-yr is particularly stunning)

Rum
- Diplomatico (Reserva 12)
- Demerara Rums (older vintages...1975 insanely good)

Vokda
- Kaufmann Pvt Reserve
- Konik's Tail
- Russian Standard Platinum
- the first two are like clear nectar, no burn, slightly thick and you can drink it with a straw. Its that good...like nothing in vodka ever
- The first is stupidly expensive...but I would take the Konik's Tail over anything I have ever tried up to the Kauffman Pvt Reserve price point.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Best Clarinets

The two best are Rossi by Louis Rossi and Fox by Steven Fox .

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Excellent guys. Keep it coming.

And any ideas as to how to organize them? Right now I am just capturing them all. I could keep them in a pdf enclosure that I update. Or we could have threads for each category.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Racing bicycle? Eduardo Bianchi. Actually got clocked at 54 mph on my old one going down US74. One of the best bikes I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Very light, very well built and superb fit. Not cheap. ;)

Tom

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
For goto bread other than our own or specialty bakery pain I'm a big fan of
Milton's multi-grain.
Superb for toast and how it crisps up when used a la grilled cheese or for a Reuben. Get ours at either Trader Joe's or SAMs Club

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Best Steak House:
1) Shanahans
2) Capital Grill (chain)
3) The Palm

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ooops

My top 3 wedges ever

1. Cleveland 588
2. Fourteen V5
3. Lynx Nickel Chromium (no longer in production and now sadly non-compliant for USGA and R&A rules)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Best Tasting Menus tried so far

1. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
2. Per Se (NYC, USA)
3. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Racing bicycle? Eduardo Bianchi. Actually got clocked at 54 mph on my old one going down US74. One of the best bikes I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Very light, very well built and superb fit. Not cheap. ;)

Tom

+1.

on a whim (on a business trip, walked into a bike shop.....great deal on last year's demo) last spring bought a Bianchi Oltre XR Dura Ace DI2 road bike.

been enjoying it these past months......just a beautiful machine. hard core race bike but even though I've been off bikes for 20 years still wonderful and natural to ride.

I wish my legs could measure up to the bike.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Some comments and recommendations:

Watches: While Rolex is certainly a well recognized brand, my experience (my wife and I both wear Rolexes) is that it looks nice but keeps crappy time. We send them in for service, they keep time a short while then don't.

Cars: I would add Lexus. Incredibly reliable, more so than either the BMW or Mercedes we have had, drives great and nice looking.

Reasonably Priced Sport Cars: Porche

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing