Pro studio power amps

Blazar

Oct 28, 2014
Lab Gruppen

Lab Gruppen amps are pro-audio hidden gems of brute force wattage. These units are great with the largest of subwoofer drivers (15-18") being run at 2 ohms. You can get thousands of watts per channel which are what you NEED in order to drive 10-40hz sound with authority and achieve reference (theater) linearity.

The crown, behringer, and QSC products have also been used for this purpose. For the very high wattage requirements of some subwoofer setups however, the Lab's are among the best. Powersoft's products are also mentioned in the same breath.

The "big sub" DIY guys in multiple forums will recommend the Lab Gruppen products with or more commonly without the PLM (parametric eq and other DSP features).

I have the Lab Gruppen PLM 10000Q in which I was able to dial in my PEQ settings for my built-in subs in my room. Now those settings don't really ever have to be fiddled with. The power output out of this thing required a 30amp breaker minimum for my room. This thing can instantly be running ALL 4 CHANNELS at 2000+ watts and can be putting out 10000 watts at a time total. This is nothing short of crazy power. The fit and finish of this thing are also very cool. It doesn't have 12v triggers or automation features for my control4 system so I just leave the thing on. It has fan noise and so it is not meant to placed in the same room as your speakers/listener. Another thing to keep in mind is that it is actually a 2 channel amplifier that can output those 2 channels to any of 4 output channels. This was not clear to me when I purchased it or I might have bought a different model. Sonically, my EQ process went fine by splitting the front 2 subs in my room from the rear 2 subs. My symmetric room did not require 4 separate channels of EQ/time alignment. Other than these minor quirks this thing is among the best-of-the-best in subwoofer amplification. It is the baby jesus at christmas... I suspect I will never need another subwoofer amp in my life again.

Jägerst.

May 5, 2020
Denmark
Old thread, but thought I'd just chime in with my pro amp experience. Currently I'm using three MC² Audio T-series amps - one T1500, and two T2000 - that is: a T2000, T1500 and T2000 from top to bottom in a 3-way fully actively configured setup. Excellent amps. A T2000 has replaced a Belles SA30 pure class A amp over the horns from ~600Hz on up, and the brit takes no backseat to its US counterpart here. That's 30W class vs. 625W class A/B with a 111dB sensitive horn/driver combo. Common "wisdom" may presume the former amp being the by far better match, but it's not that simple - certainly not in this case. First: let unbiased listening be the judge on the matter, and then take it from there. It wasn't that I was displeased with the Belles per se, which is an excellent amp in its own right, but the goal was having essentially similar amps from top to bottom, and see whether it made a difference vs. three different ones (i.e.: Belles SA, Crown K2 and LabGruppen FP6400 - top to bottom), and it certainly does. The MC² Audio T-series amps are smooth, highly resolved, tonally "correct" and dynamic. The just sound right, somehow; neither too warm or cool, neither too full or lean - just.. right. They get out of the way, as they say. Compared a T2000 with a S1400 from the same manufacturer, and they're extremely close sonically. The T2000 was ever so slightly warmer or more "golden" in its imprinting, but the S1400 was fairly new and so may have sounded that. Compared to a pair of Crown Studio Ref. II's the MC² Audio amps sound more natural to me and have the fullness more akin to live music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing