What's Spinning Tonight?

Cabaret Voltaire - Dekadrone - after playing the Vince Clarke solo album, straight away reminded me of the last 3 Cabaret Voltaire albums, specifically DekaDrone & BN9Drone.

I just had to play one of them - Dekadrone - a little more apocalyptic than Vince thou
:D

sa6ODYc.jpg

A Certain Ratio – 1982 - brand new album from ACR on Mute records. I haven't bought an ACR since 1986. Didn't even realise they were still around. Absolutely wonderful album - dedicated to the late great Toney Allen, so it has a rather funky drum beat, no doubt as respect to Tony. excellent sound quality and pressing.

4d63vKG.jpg

A Certain Ratio – 1982 - brand new album from ACR on Mute records. I haven't bought an ACR since 1986. Didn't even realise they were still around. Absolutely wonderful album - dedicated to the late great Toney Allen, so it has a rather funky drum beat, no doubt as respect to Tony. excellent sound quality and pressing.

4d63vKG.jpg
I had the Flight single. Drumming was certainly a strong point.

Reactions: XV-1
Bryan Ferry – Mamouna original UK pressing vs Bryan Ferry – Mamouna Deluxe 2023 reissue. Received the reissue with the "lost" album Horoscope this week. Maybe I should have read the fine print - all tracks bar the last two are on Mamouna or Loop De Li & Midnight Train are on Avonmore. Nice to hear the slightly different versions thou. Sounds good too.

Tonight decided to compare the original and the reissue Mamouna album. Straight up by itself, the reissue sounds very good and certainly better than the 2021 vinyl reissues they di of Bryan's earlier solo albums.

compared to the original pressing, the reissue is a little thick and slow in the bass whereas the original is faster and more nimble. Bryan's vocals have been improved on a couple of tracks as the original has a little sibilance in his vocals. The original is better in the upper frequencies where it goes higher and breathes easier. The original sounds more 3d and has better sound staging.

If you don't have the original pressing, go out and buy the reissue as its very good. The original is a better overall, however I can easily live with reissue.
Unfortunately my copy has some stitching on the first 3 tracks, which is a total pita - will need to be returned.

7olYdGK.jpg

kRyItC2.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing