What's Spinning Tonight?

On the Ascona Neo right now?:

Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion - ”LIVE” -, Original UK pressing from 1993, on blue vinyl at 33rpm. Very good overall sounding live album.

When played back in 7.4 surround sound, it feels like going to the old Wembley Stadion!

/ Jk
IMG_9091.jpeg

IMG_9092.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: DasguteOhr and XV-1
The Outfield: Voices of Babylon

368066563_2690756997730366_7080086194394091039_n.jpg

Music from my back yard - Simply love this album? :p !!!

/ Jk
I just got it today - had to get it shipped from Sweden - I wish I could have got a sealed one but alas I am a bit late to this party as this was their first English album before Look Sharp! Look Sharp! was the first album I purchased on CD back in 1989.

I went to see them on Valentine's Day 1992 in Vancouver for the Joyride Tour. My friend's husband was the concert promoter back then and said they were a lovely band - really nice people. Per helped a lady in a wheelchair get to the elevator.

• Love
Reactions: Johan K
I just got it today - had to get it shipped from Sweden - I wish I could have got a sealed one but alas I am a bit late to this party as this was their first English album before Look Sharp! Look Sharp! was the first album I purchased on CD back in 1989.

I went to see them on Valentine's Day 1992 in Vancouver for the Joyride Tour. My friend's husband was the concert promoter back then and said they were a lovely band - really nice people. Per helped a lady in a wheelchair get to the elevator.
Nice! My favourite on that album is ”Neverending Love”! So many memories from that time. Yea great people both Marie and Per. I met Per once just outside his house.. we spoked a few words.. Very gentle man! Great music group Roxette.

Yea, btw… I stod next to Per for most of the Iron Maiden concert in then Stockholm Globe Arena - now Avicii Arena, in 2010-2013 .. can’t remember the year… He was rocking and headbanging HAAARD... haha!!

Cool memories !

/ Jk

Reactions: Richard Austen
Thank you very much for that report - very much appreciated! Well, what can I say… it was expected… -that even a very good system does NOT do every genre good. Even the best system does some things better, and some things not so good. That’s the way it is. It also depends on the room, and how the system is tuned to handle a certain type of music. I guess this is true for most systems. In most rooms and systems, some music just sound way better then other types of music.
Johan I had to dig out Pavarotti – Nessun Dorma to see if my speakers can do a better job than the PS Audio FR 30, after all they cost about the same.

The Peak Consult – Sonora played Nessun Dorma just fine, it was not screaming / screeching at me. The track was more pleasant to listen to on the Sonora. The PS Audio FR30 did play at a bigger scale and gave you more gravitas that Pavarotti commands, I was not surprised looking at the complement of drivers in the FR30. Since I am not a bass monster and don’t really play my music at the level the FR30 can go to, the Sonora are the better speakers for me.

The Essential Pavarotti.jpg

Johan I had to dig out Pavarotti – Nessun Dorma to see if my speakers can do a better job than the PS Audio FR 30, after all they cost about the same.

The Peak Consult – Sonora played Nessun Dorma just fine, it was not screaming / screeching at me. The track was more pleasant to listen to on the Sonora. The PS Audio FR30 did play at a bigger scale and gave you more gravitas that Pavarotti commands, I was not surprised looking at the complement of drivers in the FR30. Since I am not a bass monster and don’t really play my music at the level the FR30 can go to, the Sonora are the better speakers for me.

View attachment 119050
Chris,

Thank you for this second report on Nessun Dorma. Another aspect of this can be that the FR30 was quite new and taken out from production recently and the tweeter element was not really broken in yet. To my knowledge these elements can take up to 500 hours to really show their full potential, even so get more calm and not so harch and sharp. I’m sure the FR30 is a superfine speaker when fully broken in, and placed in a well tuned room.

I’m very glad though to hear your Sonora played Mr. Pavarotti with such an authority. That proves you have a very fine set up and a well tuned room. I’m very happy for you.

/ Jk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing