What's Spinning Tonight?

Hi Long time no post on this superb thread ...

I am a fan of Elgar ..big fan..

Listening to this beautiful piece: Elgar Violin Concerto by Hilary Hahn. This is an emotionally charged piece and Hahn pulls it off with restraint, control and pace. But not disconnected or "cold" as some have said about this recording .. Recommended. Sound is OK .. I don't care enough about the sound these days with such beautiful music and interpretation. If that is getting old . I welcome it :) ... Frankly I have made the past few years a conscious effort to not fall in the distraction of always listening to how it sounds ... a trap too many audiophiles fall into. Music is what the hobby is about to me
View attachment 23722

I must add that on the Vaughan Williams ... No restraint but so lyrical. She is the Real Deal :). Will buy a few more of her recordings. I don't have (yet) her Bach violin concerti.
Thanks Frantz. I really like that Vaughan Williams track at the end. I found that as part of another title for download: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Signum/SIGCD399

Her violin concertos are available in high-res HD: http://www.hdtracks.com/mozart-viol...rto-no-4-in-d-minor-op-31-bonus-track-version

Dean Martin, "Dream With Dean, the intimate Dean Martin". Legacy/Sony reissue. Better quality than the MoFi Dean Martin I listened to earlier. That one had the balance 3 or 4 DB higher to the right channel. Of course, maybe the master tape was that way, but doubtful. Anyway, a few DB added to the left channel via my XP-20 fixed it right up. In this record, Dream with Dean, the sound is very revealing and intimate. Highly recommend this one.

Great lp. Got a lot of play in the early 70's.
The DVDa is great.

Thanks, I agree. This version is a reissue and they did a great job. I also have an original lp and the reissue is better. Of course, it may be due to the many listens of the original over the years!

Shelby Lynne, "Just A Little Lovin'". Lost Highway vinyl. I also have the Analogue Productions version that I typically listen to, but it has been a while since I've listened to this version.

Doing a bit of a "critical" listening session for one of the threads I started. Will take a few days, but I'm starting with these 3 today.

Neil Young - Massey Hall 1971 (Reprise 2LP)
Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart (ORG 2LP 45RPM)
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (Classic Records LP reissue)

Hi

Getting a massive dose of Oscar Peterson tonight started with:

51oovfmORCL._SX425_.jpg

Then following with

81Rft990G7L._SX425_.jpg

And will end this OP session with:

81lnTvWu-TL._SX425_.jpg

What do folks think of Adele's new album, 25? Love her music, but its the LP quality I'm interested in hearing about. Makes me wonder why I bought the vinyl. Would love to know if it was a digital recording or analog? I suspect the former.

We capture the feeling: sampler and audio setup disc. Man this is good stuff:

96 Khz/24 bit version on sale for just $10!!! http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/481

What a bargain...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing