What's Spinning Tonight?

Redbook

Townes Van Zandt, "Live at The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas". 33.3rpm double album, Fat Possum Records. I understand that Townes is not that well known outside of Texas, but if you haven't heard his songs, you're missing out on one fine songwriter. He had a number of albums, but the one I like the best is this one. He's right in front of you, telling jokes and singing the definitive versions of some of his best songs.

VI21014.jpg

On the Acoustic Sounds reissue label..Quality records. Very nice sound, with Nils's Takamine guitar front and center. On the well known track 'Keith don't go', I think the guitar is so well recorded that on better systems it is nearly in the room with you. Most of the other songs are nice too, but here's the thing.....this recording is from a regular digital recording. As such, it has some obvious warts...for example, the piano and keyboard playing sounds just horrible!! So much so, that I wanted to get out of my seat and skip these tracks altogether! The recording is very complimentary to Nils's voice and his Takamine ( guitar--which BTW, I used to own a similar model and sold as the coloration of this guitar made in somewhat of a one-trick pony for me....particularly in comparison to my Taylor). The piano and keyboards are just such a disappointment. Nonetheless, compared to the earlier reissue of Cat Stevens TFTTM by Chad, a major success. I just wish TFTTM was as well repressed!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing