What's Spinning Tonight?

Hi Tang, what I am saying is, I want you to try playing it with different combinations and report where it doesn't work.

Kedar. I am listening to this Carmen Suite. I don’t know if you have this already, but a very very good old non hifi recording.

16A8F864-78F2-42A3-B1E3-956227C750B2.jpg

Tang

John Foxx ?– The Complete Cathedral Oceans - 5lp box set. some of the most peaceful beautiful ambient albums ever written.

40422710955_bd4aeb55aa_b.jpg

John Foxx ?– The Complete Cathedral Oceans - 5lp box set. some of the most peaceful beautiful ambient albums ever written.

View attachment 39746

I have never tried ambient on vinyl, for me I guess mostly because I use it for meditation/sleeping and don't want to get jolted into consciousness by the needle slamming into the run out groove. :eek:

It has always been a digital thing for me, have to try it I guess.

I have never tried ambient on vinyl, for me I guess mostly because I use it for meditation/sleeping and don't want to get jolted into consciousness by the needle slamming into the run out groove. :eek:

You won't fall asleep listening to this ambient - its quite mesmerising.

Stephen Stills - self tilted album - 2009 Classic records reissue of the 1970 album - sounds amazingly good.

40464514225_2d3d2fed8c_b.jpg

Today's newer TTs are like digital, no ticks and pops and needle stuck in the groove...with mint records.
But the sound is nowhere near digital; it's grounded, earthy.
I love ambiance music, music for airports...Brian Eno...on vinyl.

Midori Takada

I also like listening to ambient on both analog and digital. I suggest everyone to give a go to 45rpm reissue of Midori Takada's "Through the Looking Glass" Experimental percussion album that goes into ambient territories.

R-9975547-1489519624-9746.jpeg.jpg

For the piano albums that were discussed a little earlier, I have both the RCA 45rpm d2s Appasionata with Ikuya Kamiya and the Byron Janis 45rpm of Pictures at an Exhibition. I think they are both great solo piano LP's. RCA has great dynamics/headroom while Janis as a piano player has a very unique touch which creates his beautiful tone and it is recorded on this LP. Both great suggestions and both from my favourites.

Nojima plays Liszt RR 45rpm

I would also add Nojima plays Liszt - Reference Recordings 45rpm to good piano recordings list. It was already a good recording and an incredible performance. Now on 45rpm you would enjoy the extended bandwidth and the dynamics closer to the source, I certainly am doing right now!

RM-2516_Cover.jpg

Attachments

• RR-25_Cover.jpg
    RR-25_Cover.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 79
This arrived today from the UK. Decca SXL 2279 WB groove, ED1. Sublime.

Attachments

• 3F3DA444-ABD4-4F1F-BBA6-F53F1307110B.jpeg
    3F3DA444-ABD4-4F1F-BBA6-F53F1307110B.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 61
I have the ED2 for Ricci Lalo symphonie espagnole

I still need that record. ED1 fetching $600-$900 on ebay according to posike.com
ED2 are a great option when ED1 is bringing stratospheric money on Ebay for the big hits. Ed2 of the great Decca titles are hard to find.

From Golden years of stereo time, Decca Vinyl, baroque music of spain with castanets. Very unusual classical music but love it.
20180420_151816_resized.jpg

That has to be one of the most diverse set of 3 LPs I have seen. I love that Iron Maiden album too...and I own the Mayorga/McBroom but rarely play it. That’s awesome.

Hi Skylab

HAHA Its me I love all kind of music and I owns lot of them, 22k of digital Albums,Few hundred of each CD,SACD,Blu-Ray Disc and 1500 Vinyls. Also love Headphone set up which Focal Utopia,HE-6 headphones, Woo Audio Amp with NOS tubes. I known you from Head-fi.com few years back when I started search for headphone set up. Nice to see you here.
That has to be one of the most diverse set of 3 LPs I have seen. I love that Iron Maiden album too...and I own the Mayorga/McBroom but rarely play it. That’s awesome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing