What's Spinning Tonight?

Almost done (last track) listening to the newest/latest David Gilmour's Rattle that Lock album (CD). ...Second time now...first was yesterday.

* Tracks that I don't like (I'm not shy): #2, 3, 6 & 9

** Tracks that I do like: #1, 4, 5, 7, 8 & 10

? My best guess: It will now be gathering dust. ...It's just the way it is...life.

<<<>>> Right now I am listening to David Gilmour's On an Island. ...From the CD (PCM - Pulse Code Modulation) ... digital 0s and 1s. ...Bits and pits and crevasses. Laser technology...lol ... quick and no fuss no muss, no t**** no p***, and no flipping over...all very efficient and totally boring manipulation (no involvement with the music, no looking @ the TT spinning and its speed).
The CD player requires occasional lens cleaning...I use my mouth and blow air inside the open disc drawer...works 90% of the time...on average.

I think that On an Island is the better album...more representative of the real Gilmour we all are familiar with.

_______

The other day I told a friend (professional musician and singer) that I just bought the latest David Gimour's album, he replied; "Who?"
I said "David Gilmour, Pink Floyd's lead guitarist" ... he said: "Never heard of him."
Then I mentioned Roger Waters, and he said: "Who?" ... I said 'Roger Waters' ... he said; "Never heard of him either."

So I said; "Do you know Pink Floyd?" ... He said; "Yes, but never was into it."

I stopped talking and started singing a Floyd tune. ...The highway was clear, the sky bright and blue and high above the highway, the view majestic.
We were driving the Malahat highway...@ its highest peak.

Last edited:
I've heard the Gilmour the other day, in high-res. It's a pleasant album, pretty much what I expected from him at this point. Background music, really, not much more than that. I found that PF album more interesting in general than this.

If you want primo Gilmour, get that first self-titled album of his, from 1978 or so. That's a classic!

I've got it (his early solo albums) as well as most every album of his. Thanks for the new album thoughts. I'll probably still pick it up.

I've heard the Gilmour the other day, in high-res. It's a pleasant album, pretty much what I expected from him at this point. Background music, really, not much more than that. I found that PF album more interesting in general than this.

If you want primo Gilmour, get that first self-titled album of his, from 1978 or so. That's a classic!

I'd agree with this as well. I do prefer the new album over On An Island ?as it's a little more upbeat.

With the recent query on Flack. Very early morning I broke out
'First Take, Chapter Two, Quiet Fire'
Great sessions. Topshelf. Superb arrangements. What a voice, knows what to do and not to do. The song is the star.

Barry, do you have The Endless River?

And, did you see the movie: Life of Pi?

Hi Bob.
No. I have never really got into Pink Floyd.
No again I'm afraid to Life of Pi.
Did see a great film a couple of weeks ago. "45" starring Tom Courtney and Charlotte Rampling. Absolutely superb acting in a cinematic masterpiece. Strongly recommended if it makes it to Canada

Hi Bob.
No. I have never really got into Pink Floyd.
No again I'm afraid to Life of Pi.
Did see a great film a couple of weeks ago. "45" starring Tom Courtney and Charlotte Rampling. Absolutely superb acting in a cinematic masterpiece. Strongly recommended if it makes it to Canada

My best friend (pro musician) wasn't also into Pink Floyd. ...On the other hand, me (amateur musician) has all Pink Floyd's albums (LPs and CDs and cassette tapes). ...And Blu-ray Audio multichannel hi-res. ...DVDs too.

You don't need to be afraid by the tiger ('Life of Pi') ... it's a beautiful film.

* You meant 45 Years ::

From the UK...Blu-ray coming up in January 11, 2016 ... I'm sure it'll be avail in Canada too. Thx for the iceberg (tip).

Yes that's the film.
I'm glad you enjoy PF so much and I do appreciate different music can appeal to us all. They are a great group but have never quite clicked with me.

Yes that's the film.
I'm glad you enjoy PF so much and I do appreciate different music can appeal to us all. They are a great group but have never quite clicked with me.

In the last ten years or so I am about 85% Classical and 15% Jazz & Blues.
Pink Floyd is only a distraction today...I still enjoy...but I don't dine anymore on it. ...I keep track only for youth attractiveness.

The main essence in my soul is Classical Music listening.

I like movies with a message of love and peace, and I do enjoy 'Mad Max: Fury Road'...just for the heck of it...the wild sand ride...all that 3D jazz.
I consider myself a gentleman of the mind, heart and spirit...and I love diversification...but my main essence is "Smoooooooth" and "Relax".
The piano is my favorite musical instrument. ...And the cello.

* That movie...45 Years...seems to be the perfect antidote to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'.

In the last ten years or so I am about 85% Classical and 15% Jazz & Blues.
Pink Floyd is only a distraction today...I still enjoy...but I don't dine anymore on it. ...I keep track only for youth attractiveness.

The main essence in my soul is Classical Music listening.

I like movies with a message of love and peace, and I do enjoy 'Mad Max: Fury Road'...just for the heck of it...the wild sand ride...all that 3D jazz.
I consider myself a gentleman of the mind, heart and spirit...and I love diversification...but my main essence is "Smoooooooth" and "Relax".
The piano is my favorite musical instrument. ...And the cello.

* That movie...45 Years...seems to be the perfect antidote to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'.

I too find I am listening to more classical music courtesy of BBC Radio Three FM broadcasts through my Magnum Dynalab 109 tuner.
We are, of course incredibly blessed having the BBC. The breadth, range and quality of their broadcasting is superb with a team of deeply knowledgeable presenters and guests. One of my favourites is Composer of the of the Week. Five one hour programmes broadcast at 12pm every day and repeated at 6.30pm BST. Not just the music but an accompanying biography of the composer. Next week it is Rachmaninov.
Not sure how you fare in Canada for FM radio or whether you can access BBC Radio 3 via the internet but it is so enjoyable and rewarding.

I too find I am listening to more classical music courtesy of BBC Radio Three FM broadcasts through my Magnum Dynalab 109 tuner.
We are, of course incredibly blessed having the BBC. The breadth, range and quality of their broadcasting is superb with a team of deeply knowledgeable presenters and guests. One of my favourites is Composer of the of the Week. Five one hour programmes broadcast at 12pm every day and repeated at 6.30pm BST. Not just the music but an accompanying biography of the composer. Next week it is Rachmaninov.
Not sure how you fare in Canada for FM radio or whether you can access BBC Radio 3 via the internet but it is so enjoyable and rewarding.

Barry, I probably could via the internet radio. ...Thx...I'll check it out.

JJ Cale, "Okie". I bought this piece of vinyl many years ago, but I notice that it says it is a reissue by ABC Records on the back cover. The record was originally released in1974 by Shelter Records.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing