What's Spinning Tonight?

Eva Cassidy

1959, the year that jazz changed.

Just finished watching this great documentary on you tube.

Telling the story of Kind of Blue, Time out, Ah Um and the Shape of Jazz to Come. 4 LP's that had a long lasting influence on music to this very day.

Highly recommended.

Just finished watching this great documentary on you tube.

Telling the story of Kind of Blue, Time out, Ah Um and the Shape of Jazz to Come. 4 LP's that had a long lasting influence on music to this very day.

Highly recommended.

Saw that a few months back. Highly recommended indeed!:D

XL Recordings - Pay Close Attention - 25 year anniversay

Absolutely brilliant 4Lp box set from one of the worlds premier Independant record labels -

XL Recordings is a collaborative endeavour, and many people have contributed to its evolution.
In the song “Out Of Space”, Liam Howlett of The Prodigy provided a blueprint when he sampled Kool Keith of Ultramagnetic MC’s rapping these words: “Pay Close Attention”.
And whilst XL has never had any outside ownership, Gil Scott-Heron advised me not to even consider XL “independent”; because everything is connected.
This compilation is an attempt to illustrate some of these connections.
Part 1- sides 1-4 is the roots of XL; underground music, made for DJ’s. These roots are still growing.
Part 2 - sides 5-8 features some of the singular talents who have taken the label further than we ever envisioned. There is no unifying genre, and I’ll happily confess to aesthetic opportunism; hopefully the thread of originality is evident though.
We’ve never compromised. The rave music XL first became known for was known as “hardcore”; that spirit continues.
To show our appreciation for your support: thank you DJ’s.
And thank you also to the retailers, writers and of course, ravers.
-- Richard Russell, London, 2014

pca-art.jpg

With a new release coming up

Broken English
Strange Weather
Dangerous Acquaintances
Before the Poison
20th Century Blues

New Pink Floyd release: The Endless River. Interesting in that you can hear teases of things that made it onto The Division Bell, including what are no doubt alternative takes that were not used then but were included on this release.

Puts me in mind of DG's work with The Orb

Really lovely music. I have listened to this piece often, but now that I have a decent source, I now hear birds chirping at the end of I pini del Gianicolo.:eek:
MI0000978702.jpg

Stevie Wonder - Music of my Mind.

Released 1971 when Wonder was just aged 21. He wrote, played and produced everything on the album. Hard to believe this was his 14th album @ age 21.

This was the start of his classic run of albums during the 70's and a wonderful album in its own right.

Stevie-Wonder-Music-Of-My-Mind.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing