The Knick

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Has anybody been watching "The Knick" on Cinemax?

It's a very interesting fictionalized program taking place at the Knickerbocker Hospital operating rooms in Harlem in the early 1900's.

Especially in retrospect, it was truly a frightening time to be in a hospital.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I have been riveted by it. I absolutely love it. The characters of Thackery and Algernon are my favorites. As a physician I find it especially intriguing.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just watched last weeks episode. This could be the best show I've seen in years!!

I agree.My wife and I love this series.

Anyone who is not watching, really should as it is that good. I too am a physician so I was particularly interested in the C-section techniques for placenta previa.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I agree.My wife and I love this series.

Anyone who is not watching, really should as it is that good. I too am a physician so I was particularly interested in the C-section techniques for placenta previa.
Yeah that was really something, one of my favorite parts of the series thus far. I feel like we are in the new golden age of medicine, things are changing so fast.

Steve Williams

Yeah that was really something, one of my favorite parts of the series thus far. I feel like we are in the new golden age of medicine, things are changing so fast.

I remember telling my wife almost the same thing. Plus the things they saw at the turn of the century must have been amazing along with the drugs they used. All of this is based on fact at the time. I think it was in one of the episodes where one of the doctors ordered a teaspoon of turpentine every hour for some particular ailment.

I noticed that the creators of the series are two young guys each of whom didn't look a day over 35

Steve Williams

I was talking to my son-in-law last week and he too is a huge Knick fan. He was the one who turned me on to the Cinemax series Banshee which I just love as did he . Last week when we talked he said that he now like The Knick more than Banshee. I told him that was a pretty bold statement but he might be right :)

Steve Williams

Well season one ended IMO on a very high note and leaves great hope that this will continue to be an excellent series

IMO this is now one of the best shows on TV to watch

As I physician I must admit that these guys in the early 1900's were truly pioneers in surgery. Heretofore doctors practised and treated everything with meds and only in the early 1900's did surgery become another arm of medicine where they took over from the barbers

Watching how the operating room theater was set up with observers to the procedure sitting almost adjacent to the OR table. Antiseptic techniques, anesthesia and methods of surgery were all very primitive. Along comes the drug of the early 1900's (cocaine) which has hooked poor Dr Thackery and he is committed to a psychiatric facility for many months.The Knick is in financial despair and the hospital board votes to move the hospital uptown away from the indigent and to the more affluent area of New York

This final episode of Season One IMO was the best of the 10

This show is hot. Herman Barrow the hospital CEO pulls off what he thinks to be a coup by having his loan sharks ( from whom he borrows money to keep the hospital afloat) murdered by Ping Wu (who thinks he is doing this to save Thackery). Ping however finds the loan sharks books and sees that Herman owed him $9K. Ping seems now to be the newest creditor of the Knick

Finally at the end of the episode and Thackery is committed to the Asylum they sedate him and attempt to withdraw him from cocaine addiction with a new drug produced by the Bayer company called "Heroin"

And on it goes

I have been very impressed with the original series' productions done lately by Cinemax

The Knick is the newest and I recommend this as one of the season's best shows

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
When Thackery was admitted to the hospital, I thought it strange that his physician gave him an injection that was said to make his getting off cocaine easier for him. At the end of the scene, the camera focused on the label on the bottle of the drug he received which said "Heroin." Clearly, they had a lot to learn about drugs, too.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed it, too, and I'm happy to report that there will be a second season.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
In a similar vein...pardon the pun...we thoroughly enjoyed "Something The Lord Made" starring Alan Rickman and Mos Def..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the spoilers Stevie :( Anyways, great series! Just in the middle of season one now. Apparently Thack is based loosely on one of John Hopkin's four founders, also a coke addicted pioneer who was also treated with heroin.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the spoilers Stevie :( Anyways, great series! Just in the middle of season one now. Apparently Thack is based loosely on one of John Hopkin's four founders, also a coke addicted pioneer who was also treated with heroin.

I thought I could stand blood gore, but with 1 exception, surgery/hospital blood gore. I don't think I can last past 1 episode in this Jack, after watching the trailer. I will give it a brave try maybe. Just finished season 1 of How to Get Away with Murder (Viola Davis is really good, as a criminal law professor who plots to cover up a murder with her law students).

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The put season 1 up on HBO Now a couple of weeks ago and I binged my way though it. Great TV.

Tim

Steve Williams

We watched Episode one of Season 2 last night and it was darn good with many stories developing. Thackeray finally seems to get over his addiction from cold turkey withdrawal at sea on a small sail boat and is now returning to the Knick where Dr Algeron Edwards is assuming the role of chief surgeon with the hope it will become permanent. However at the end of season one when he is involved in a fight Algeron suffers a completely detached retina and has his resident do the surgeries for him so that they do not discover his vision problem. Ping is now a regular and vows to bring his hookers to the hospital once a week for health checks because he owns the administrator of the Knick by knocking off the racketeers from whom he borrowed money. So many developing subplots that for me I was into that first episode. Looks like another very good season

Steve Williams

Am I the only one watching season two. It must be the surgeon in me and watching the evolution of surgery as a medical specialty 125 years agora at draws be in. I must admit that season two is becoming a bit if a soap opera but nonetheless my wife and I have been enjoying season two.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I will give this a second try. I watched one episode last year but didn't give myself to invest it the characters.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing