Pruners/Loppers You need to OWN!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
During Christmas, I had some down time so every day I would look at what was on sale and the review ratings on Amazon. If the rating was near perfect, and I had the slightest interest in the product I would buy it. One of those purchases is this awesome pruners from Fiskars:

It looks like any other pruner/lopper except that gearing mechanism and deadly sharp edges. It slides through branches with ease. It works so well that it is binary. It will either cut through without much effort or give up completely. Others go half way and get stuck bad. I would rate the power amplification 2 to 4 times ordinary pruners. I have easily cut through 1 inch branches.

There are 970 reviews on Amazon and the average rating is nearly perfect at 5 stars. It is also the #1 tool in its category:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=as2&tag=whabesfor-20&linkId=NZTGNB5RNCPDM35V

If you do anything remotely close to trimming branches in your yard, this is an absolute, must have tool! It puts a smile on my face everytime I use it. I have far less need for chain saw and such with this thing around. It oozes quality and works perfectly.

BTW, the above link is for Amazon Affiliate. It doesn't cost you anything and won't do a thing to corrupt my reviews :), but they do send me a few cents if you purchase using that link. One day it may be enough to buy another CD with it :).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Amir. I have already been through two of these. While the blade is extremely sharp, it tends to get nicked and dulled quickly and then there is the handle. Both of mine dislodged from the metal shears. Other than these two issues under heavy use, this was one of my favorite I have ran across. You are right, they either give up or cut right on through....even the thicker branches with ease.

I would still recommend it for light backyard duty use. Not for professional use though.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello, Amir. I have already been through two of these. While the blade is extremely sharp, it tends to get nicked and dulled quickly and then there is the handle. Both of mine dislodged from the metal shears. Other than these two issues under heavy use, this was one of my favorite I have ran across. You are right, they either give up or cut right on through....even the thicker branches with ease.

I would still recommend it for light backyard duty use. Not for professional use though.

Tom
There goes my chances of getting rich from folks buying it through Amazon. :D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I picked one up years ago to prune. Works very well and effortlessly when you try not to bite off more than the tool can chew. ;)

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Got these...great mechanical advantage

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have been using Felco trimmers and have been impressed with their quality. I also use Silky saws for pruning.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Bahco - Great
Felco - Great
Silky Saws - Great
All trimmers need proper cleaning & oiling after use.
I also keep the cheaper units around for trimming near dirt [sheetrock saw, etc.].

zz.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
As the steward of 45 acres of forest land which I replanted after a devastating wild fire in 1978, I have extensive experience with Fiskar loppers. We planted 35,000 conifer seedlings which are now 40-50' tall. The forest is back, and we have been in the "thin & release" phase of our forest management plan for the last 10 years. This involves removing the lower limbs and brush that clogs the ground level, and removing the undesirable trees and ladder fuels. We utilize chain saws and a tractor mounted chipper shredder. Loppers are an important tool in the process. I have gone through many pair of Fiskars, and they are excellent, until they break, which they eventually do. Fortunately, they have a lifetime warranty, and I simple exchange them for a new pair at Home Depot, which is where I buy them. Thus, I too highly recommend them!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, I had not thought about that reason to buy them locally. Exchanging at HD would be quite convenient.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing