Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Wilson & ARC for me...

Room is coming together and looking great Bob!

Finally getting the room together. I placed the speakers in similar position to what they were before the remodel... a little further apart, similarly tucked in the corner. My Wilson dealer will be down in a couple weeks to do final setup/voicing. I spent a couple hours listening last night and I have to say the room sounds fantastic. I'll leave it to the Wilson rep to get the voicing just right, while I got the imaging dialed in the coherence top to bottom isn't quite right. Still, what I was hearing has me very excited for whats to come.

As a reminder of where it all started, here's a couple before and after pics.

Name:  front_original.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  28.4 KB
    When we moved in, it was all "Man Cave" setup.

Name:  before_sm.jpg
Size:  27.0 KB
    I installed some nice wool carpet, cut like a giant area rug, and assembled the rig. Speakers were fairly deep in the corners, but sounded very good. Several buddies claimed it was the best they'd heard the Alexias.

Name:  almost_done1-w-sun.jpg
Size:  34.6 KB
    The sun was shining in this morning so I had to pump up the lights in order to get a photo. My new vinyl cabinet is to be delivered this week, then the boxes will get off the floor over on the right side of the room.

Name:  almost_done2-rearfacing.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  30.9 KB
    And the rear of the room. (Wine cellar on the other side of the curtains!)
    Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), Audio Research DAC8, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Congratulations - it looks really fantastic. Moving the system to the side was a really great idea - it seems to make the room much larger and IMHO helps a lot to create a believable soundstage.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and an ARC REF40.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Congratulations, Bob! It does indeed look fantastic!

I showed my wife and she really likes it! (I told her that mine is not going to look nearly as professional and polished as yours.)

I like your Ekornes Reno chairs, too!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    I'm told the drilling patterns are different for each project, and in my case we're using some unique spec 1" fiberglass with the drilled hardboard applied on top. The drilling pattern is a programmatically generated repeating pattern of large 1.5" holes, 1", 3/4", and 1/2" holes. Centered on 39" ear height, there is a band of holes about 15" wide that look to be 1/2", also in a programmatically generated "random" pattern.

There are four wall areas being treated this way—inside each of the niche/alcove areas, the back wall, and a wall mounted 7'x4' panel that will stand off the wall a little bit so that there can be a halo lighting effect created by a line of LED tape lights just inside the back periphery of the panel.

There will also be a suspended ceiling cloud that is 8'x10', and curtains across the windows/doors in front, across the stairs in back, and across the hallway to the wine cellar and bedrooms. The curtains in the rear of the room will be double sided and lined with 3 layers of SoundSense Lumitex fabric, the curtains across the windows will have just 1 layer of the Lumitex.

By Monday I should be able to post pics showing the completed panels/fabricwall portion of the project.

Attachment 30613 Attachment 30614
    Wow, room looks to be coming along very nice. WRT the holes and 1" rigid fiberglass, I did something similar to create 2 treatments for the dead center front wall. Essentially it's a BAD panel, yours has a variation in hole size the BADs are 5/8" (if I recall) holes only

Addicted to Best!
    College Station, Texas & Angel Fire New Mexico
    I have one Stressless Ambassador - LARGE CONSUL chair in my room and have noticed that when I sit up in the chair properly, my ears are well above the back of the chair. The image is much more real that way. My chair lacks the wings that you have.

How did you get the measurements that you showed?

I would urge you to try putting your cables off the floor on only one porcelain isolator. If needed put it on a narrow box. This is to keep any static electricity away from the cables.

Do you hear quite a difference with the blinds open or raised than with them down?

Quote Originally Posted by TBG View Post
    I have one Stressless Ambassador - LARGE CONSUL chair in my room and have noticed that when I sit up in the chair properly, my ears are well above the back of the chair. The image is much more real that way. My chair lacks the wings that you have.

How did you get the measurements that you showed?

I would urge you to try putting your cables off the floor on only one porcelain isolator. If needed put it on a narrow box. This is to keep any static electricity away from the cables.

Do you hear quite a difference with the blinds open or raised than with them down?
    Did you mean to post this in the 'perfect listening chair' thread? I have not posted anything with respect to measurements, but there is a frequency response trace in that thread with respect to the effect of a chair.

As for my old setup with the blinds, the effects the blinds had was never much, but anytime you put even a thin fabric over a highly reflective surface you'll tame a wee-little-bit of excess energy. The new space has curtains with an acoustic liner that should have more significant sonic results. I've not spent much time listening yet as my speaker setup is not yet optimized.
    Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), Audio Research DAC8, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Addicted to Best!
    College Station, Texas & Angel Fire New Mexico
    Yes how did you measure the effect of the chair?

It was not me. Sbo6 is the user who provided the freq. response curve in the listening chair thread.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213