I Got Lucky Today

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
TBH I wanted the 6+ and I srtill might get one but I can say unequivocally that the screen on the 6 is more than adequate plus text can be individually sized
What does that mean Steve? You mean for each app you can choose the text size? If so, that is pretty cool. The pinch zoom thing is a pain to do everytime you go into an app.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've had the iPhone 5 for the past 2 years. I went into the local Verizon dealer to look at the 6 & 6+. The first noticeable change is, obviously, the size. Bigger and thinner. The second most noticeable change is the screen. Colors just pop. Resolution is much better. Then I checked out the keyboard in landscape mode. Everything came to a screeching halt. While the keyboard is bigger, it is so only because of extra keys added to either side of the letter keys. I'm not concerned about those other keys which I would seldom use anyways. I care about the letter keys. Well, even on the 6+, that part of the keyboard is exactly the same size as the keyboard on the 5. Inexcusable. If I'm going for a phablet, it must have a bigger, easier to use keyboard. That sealed the deal. Pass. I will not be *upgrading*.

Then I walked over to check out the Samsung Note 3. Whoa. Much, much, better keyboard. If I upgrade anytime soon, that's the phone I will get.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ron, does the phone you are talking about have the tilt option? With the Nokia, you have the normal keyboard (small) but if you were to turn the phone 45 degrees to the left or right, the keyboard would then go the length of the phone (from top to bottom), kind of like how a TV would be. In other words, it would be a horizontal keyboard which can be easier to use.

Tom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
better have big pockets Chuck

I agree. Amir's post was spot on as to whether one uses it primarily for a phone or as a tablet.

TBH I wanted the 6+ and I srtill might get one but I can say unequivocally that the screen on the 6 is more than adequate plus text can be individually sized

My bigger issue is typing. The enlarged keys on the larger models would be quite welcome. I have upgraded my iPhone 5 to the latest OS and do like the larger fonts!

But after reading Ron's post, it may not actually solve my problem My issue with switching away from Apple is the sharing of apps, data, contacts, stc between all of my other Apple devices.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Tom, as I wrote I compared the keyboards in landscape mode.

Chuck, you have a dilemma if you're looking to upgrade, no doubt. I'm not wedded to Apple. I don't use any Apple computers. Skype and Viber work just fine, so Facetime is not irreplaceable. Most other apps have android comparable apps. As such, I can easily switch over.

For years I look at it like this. I wanted my cell phone to be small. I looked at a cell phone as a phone first, everything else second. (I have computers at home and in my office... I don't necessarily need a computer always on my person.) I wanted something that I could easily, comfortably, put in my pants pockets.

With the advent of smart phones that ability vanished. I find the iPhone5 too big for my pockets. There's only one bulge I care for in my pants pockets;), so I use a belt clip holder which I have rotated to hold the phone in a landscape position; when seated portrait position results in the phone digging into my stomach and/or my leg, but in landscape position I don't feel it at all unless it vibrates.

I cannot understand how one could find the 6 or 6+ pocketable, unless one is not referring to one's pants. Jacket pocket? Sure. Pants? No way. Having said that, my wife came up with an interesting theory: she said since it is the younger generations that are the trendsetters in fashion, she opined clothing manufactures will see the trend in phablets and come out with pants aimed at those generations which will comfortably accommodate those phablets.

That's the way I used to look at it: phone first, everything else second. So if I'm considering going up in size to a phablet, the first thing it better give me is a bigger, easier to use keyboard. If it doesn't, the device is a nonstarter. I don't care if the operating system is improved, faster, more powerful, or the screen is brighter, higher rez or easier to read. If it is a phablet, it must necessarily have a bigger, more typo proof keyboard. Neither the 6 nor the 6+ have that. So, as I posted before, I will pass on the iPhone *upgrades*.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ah, my bad Mr. Party. I was not familiar with the "landscape mode" term. Now I know.

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Tom, as I wrote I compared the keyboards in landscape mode.

Chuck, you have a dilemma if you're looking to upgrade, no doubt. I'm not wedded to Apple. I don't use any Apple computers. Skype and Viber work just fine, so Facetime is not irreplaceable. Most other apps have android comparable apps. As such, I can easily switch over.

For years I look at it like this. I wanted my cell phone to be small. I looked at a cell phone as a phone first, everything else second. (I have computers at home and in my office... I don't necessarily need a computer always on my person.) I wanted something that I could easily, comfortably, put in my pants pockets.

With the advent of smart phones that ability vanished. I find the iPhone5 too big for my pockets. There's only one bulge I care for in my pants pockets;), so I use a belt clip holder which I have rotated to hold the phone in a landscape position; when seated portrait position results in the phone digging into my stomach and/or my leg, but in landscape position I don't feel it at all unless it vibrates.

I cannot understand how one could find the 6 or 6+ pocketable, unless one is not referring to one's pants. Jacket pocket? Sure. Pants? No way. Having said that, my wife came up with an interesting theory: she said since it is the younger generations that are the trendsetters in fashion, she opined clothing manufactures will see the trend in phablets and come out with pants aimed at those generations which will comfortably accommodate those phablets.

That's the way I used to look at it: phone first, everything else second. So if I'm considering going up in size to a phablet, the first thing it better give me is a bigger, easier to use keyboard. If it doesn't, the device is a nonstarter. I don't care if the operating system is improved, faster, more powerful, or the screen is brighter, higher rez or easier to read. If it is a phablet, it must necessarily have a bigger, more typo proof keyboard. Neither the 6 nor the 6+ have that. So, as I posted before, I will pass on the iPhone *upgrades*.

I completely agree Ron, Those who think the 6+ will fit in your pocket like a wallet it will but IMO best only in a jacket.I do have eyestrain and was looking to get the 6+ but when I saw them side by side this was a phablet and would be difficult to use it mainly as a phone

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Are there not aftermaret apps that offer a larger, more user-friendly keyboard that can be used on the iPhones? I agree that having slightly larger keys would make my life much easier, but we are "married" to Apple in my household.

Lee

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have a Note 3 and it fits in my front pocket. And it's bigger than the 6+

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Steve,

Is your new phone bending yet?

John

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I ordered the 6 for my wife. I am sticking with the 5S until I see how hers fits in my front pants pocket. The size of the 5S seems perfect to me.

Steve Williams

I ordered the 6 for my wife. I am sticking with the 5S until I see how hers fits in my front pants pocket. The size of the 5S seems perfect to me.

Once you see how easy it is to fit in your pants pocket as well as how much easier it is with the larger screen you might rethink that. It feels perfect in my hand and fits without issues in my wife's smaller purses.

Steve Williams

Once you see how easy it is to fit in your pants pocket as well as how much easier it is with the larger screen you might rethink that. It feels perfect in my hand and fits without issues in my wife's smaller purses.

All right hear we are almost 2 weeks with my iphone 6 and I love it BUT I must admit I had a long audition today with the 6+ and I loved it. I had no problem holding it. The screen is spectacular

Bottom line

My wife has a 5 that is out of contract. I am thinking of giving her the 6 and me buying the 6+

So for a guy like Christian who is 6'7" the 6+ is a no brainer.

I think I'm in as well

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
All right hear we are almost 2 weeks with my iphone 6 and I love it BUT I must admit I had a long audition today with the 6+ and I loved it. I had no problem holding it. The screen is spectacular

Bottom line

My wife has a 5 that is out of contract. I am thinking of giving her the 6 and me buying the 6+

So for a guy like Christian who is 6'7" the 6+ is a no brainer.

I think I'm in as well

I got the 6 last week and love it! Perfect size for me and fits in my front pants pockets perfectly. Thinner and lighter than the 4S I've been using. The 6+ looks huge to me. Not the hand size I'd be worried about but carrying it around would seem like a chore.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing