I Got Lucky Today

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have been an Apple fan since its inception and have owned all of their iphones except the iphone 5 or 5S. I held out waiting for the larger iphone 6 with some thought of even buying the 6+

Last week with preorders it took forever to get onto the Apple store site and once I did delivery was 3-6 weeks out for an iphone 6+

I live about 2 miles from an ATT store and because they are my carrier i thought I would walk in today when the store opened. Got there 15 minutes before they opened and lo and behold I was 3rd in line. They said they had phones but not the 6+ (which they did have on display)

I did a careful perusal of the 6+ and it is truly a phablet and all due respects to Johnny Vinyl who loves his Samsung Note, I just could not fathom my carrying around the larger iphone 6+. It's huge. As much as i wanted one, they had none, only 13 iphone 6's and I was third in line.

Store opened at 0930 and I walked out with my new silver/white 64 Gb Iphone 6 at 0945

The local verizon store in the same mall had over 100 people in line. All of the 3 local Apple stores to me had over 1000 people in line all the way out to the street

So my suggestion is to show up just before the ATT store opens. They told me they never have a line more than a few people.
They don't sell Apple Care but you can buy it online or take your new phone with receipt to the Apple store to buy Apple Care

The new iOS8 is terrific BTW

My plan is to play with the 6 for 3-4 weeks until there is an ample supply of 6+ at which time I will compare the two. Just too difficult today at the store with everyone all over it

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
When I saw the heading of "I got lucky today" I thought you meant it in the common way that phrase is used :).

As to size, you grow up to like bigger and bigger Steve. The larger the size gets, the easier it is to use the keyboard, less zooming, etc. And I don't know how this happens but pant pockets which we thought would never hold large phones, keeps growing to accept the larger and larger ones. :D

I will be upgrading my phone later this year and might go for a phablet. Have not yet decided.

And oh, congrats on the new iphone. I suspect it is a big upgrade over previous generations.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
A cousin just got his today! No wait, no queue, no fumes, just some good old connections. :p
Initially he wanted the 6S but size unfriendly to be pocketed, so 6 for him and 6+ for wife.

10270288_10152388525734211_1462670070078917252_n.jpg
5S, 6, 6+

I'd probably go for 6+ myself as screen size will suit my +eyes better. :cool:
Let us know how you like them, won't be a couple of weeks before they are available in my country.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have been an Apple fan since its inception and have owned all of their iphones except the iphone 5 or 5S. I held out waiting for the larger iphone 6 with some thought of even buying the 6+

Last week with preorders it took forever to get onto the Apple store site and once I did delivery was 3-6 weeks out for an iphone 6+

I live about 2 miles from an ATT store and because they are my carrier i thought I would walk in today when the store opened. Got there 15 minutes before they opened and lo and behold I was 3rd in line. They said they had phones but not the 6+ (which they did have on display)

I did a careful perusal of the 6+ and it is truly a phablet and all due respects to Johnny Vinyl who loves his Samsung Note, I just could not fathom my carrying around the larger iphone 6+. It's huge. As much as i wanted one, they had none, only 13 iphone 6's and I was third in line.

Store opened at 0930 and I walked out with my new silver/white 64 Gb Iphone 6 at 0945

The local verizon store in the same mall had over 100 people in line. All of the 3 local Apple stores to me had over 1000 people in line all the way out to the street

So my suggestion is to show up just before the ATT store opens. They told me they never have a line more than a few people.
They don't sell Apple Care but you can buy it online or take your new phone with receipt to the Apple store to buy Apple Care

The new iOS8 is terrific BTW

My plan is to play with the 6 for 3-4 weeks until there is an ample supply of 6+ at which time I will compare the two. Just too difficult today at the store with everyone all over it

Pre-ordered the 6 Plus.

Bigger is better!!!! Can't wait.

Post pics Steve!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I love my Note 3. It disappears in my pocket, but gives me the laptop experience, nuff said for me, I love the big screens.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I went with the 6 plus knowing it's no bigger than carrying a billfold style wallet. In fact I bought the case-mate leather 6plus case plus bill fold wallet all in one. Just received the case today. The 6+ has a 10/7 delivery estimate from Verizon.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Steve Williams

I was just like you guys as I went in wanting a 6+ but honestly it is huge in my hand

I am going to play with the 6 until there's an abundance of 6+ and if I feel so inclined I will buy one and give my 6 to my wife

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I heard a recent survey of Phablet users and they found that making phone calls is way down their list of things they do on the phone! Indeed, that is my usage model. Reading mail, browsing the web/forum, shopping, and music are far ahead of the amount of time I use my phone for calls. The size is most limiting for all of these applications. Trying to look up reviews of an item in the store on a standard phone is frustrating to say the least. And mine is a 1080p, reasonably large phone.

I think when we shop for the phone we just imagine ourselves making phone calls but if your usage matches mine, the right way to think about it is how small you want your tablet to be. I have four tablets but none have cellular plans whereas my phone of course does. To the extent I can use my phone as a mini-tablet, then it is a step up in usability. I am able to hold a tablet in my hand so holding a phone is no big deal.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Amir. I have the Nokia Lumina, which is a rather big phone. After experiencing it for about 6 or 7 months, I will never go back to a smaller phone. The employees have the older phones we used and when they have an issue that I need to correct, it is hard for these big fingers to navigate and actually hit the right button(s). This was my biggest complaint with those phones. It is also much harder to read after using the bigger phone. Though I use the phone as a phone more than 30 times on an average daily basis, it is the other things I can do with the phone that really makes the phone such a godsend for me. I have no issues running the company off of the phone. I did with the smaller phone. FWIW to those who may be interested.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My usage is mostly voice, sms, viber groups, some quick non-serious photography and video, Shazam now and then. I carry lots of stuff in my pockets on pants that are typically jeans. Looks like a 6 for me. I usually have a tablet or laptop nearby anyhow but if I have to do a quick search even the 5s screen is bearable.

What I DO want for all these flights I take is a Samsung Pro Tab S for video viewing.

Steve Williams

Tom

Is your Lumina considered a phablet. I understand and frankly agree with what Amir suggested. Makes sense.

TBH the size of the 6 screen for my tired eyes is perfect and haven't once had to enlarge the screen. What most people are doing because the 6+ is a phablet is to buy the 6 and use a iPad mini for everything else Amir suggests.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Pretty much Steve. I believe this picture shows the old phone and the one I currently use, which is 6 1/2 x 3 1/2". The older phone may be a tad smaller though...not quite sure and I don't have one here tonight to compare.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congrats on not having to wait in line for your new phone. And, of course, congrats on the purchase of your new iPhone6 as well. When I bought the Note I too felt it was a little big and at first had a difficult time manipulating it with my medium-sized hands. It didn't take more than a few hours to get accustomed to it however, and it fits in my front pocket with ease. I use the phone for calls maybe 5% of the time, but I'm a big note taker, am always checking my email, do most of my banking and bill payments online, and text frequently. The bigger screen has been an absolute Godsend, and that's not to mention the ease of use the stylus provides.

No offense was taken, as these phablet phones are not for everyone. I'm sure glad though that Samsung introduced them, even at the expense of looking like a dork with a brick to my head.

Enjoy your new phone!:D

Steve Williams

I went with the 6 plus knowing it's no bigger than carrying a billfold style wallet. In fact I bought the case-mate leather 6plus case plus bill fold wallet all in one. Just received the case today. The 6+ has a 10/7 delivery estimate from Verizon.

Its way bigger than a billfold style wallet. You can say that for the 6 but not for the 6+

Steve Williams

A cousin just got his today! No wait, no queue, no fumes, just some good old connections. :p
Initially he wanted the 6S but size unfriendly to be pocketed, so 6 for him and 6+ for wife.

View attachment 17420
5S, 6, 6+

I'd probably go for 6+ myself as screen size will suit my +eyes better. :cool:
Let us know how you like them, won't be a couple of weeks before they are available in my country.

I have had zero problems with my iphone6 as to being able to simply read text without eye strain etc. The new iOS8 in the Settings app there is something called "text size" where you can drag a slider for one's own personal text size. Apps that support Dynamic Type will adjust to one's preferred reading size. No need for a 6+ if that's what you're looking for

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I heard a recent survey of Phablet users and they found that making phone calls is way down their list of things they do on the phone! Indeed, that is my usage model. Reading mail, browsing the web/forum, shopping, and music are far ahead of the amount of time I use my phone for calls. The size is most limiting for all of these applications. Trying to look up reviews of an item in the store on a standard phone is frustrating to say the least. And mine is a 1080p, reasonably large phone.

I think when we shop for the phone we just imagine ourselves making phone calls but if your usage matches mine, the right way to think about it is how small you want your tablet to be. I have four tablets but none have cellular plans whereas my phone of course does. To the extent I can use my phone as a mini-tablet, then it is a step up in usability. I am able to hold a tablet in my hand so holding a phone is no big deal.

Great post. Given I am now retired, like you, my phone is mostly used as a web browser (and a home automation control point).

I can do the upgrade in December so I will definitely give strong consideration to the 6s (or 6+ or whatever it is called) assuming it will fit in my pocket.

Thanks again.

Steve Williams

Great post. Given I am now retired, like you, my phone is mostly used as a web browser (and a home automation control point).

I can do the upgrade in December so I will definitely give strong consideration to the 6s (or 6+ or whatever it is called) assuming it will fit in my pocket.

Thanks again.

better have big pockets Chuck

I agree. Amir's post was spot on as to whether one uses it primarily for a phone or as a tablet.

TBH I wanted the 6+ and I srtill might get one but I can say unequivocally that the screen on the 6 is more than adequate plus text can be individually sized

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing