2015 Porsche 911 GT3 (991)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
so on a whim lasting a month or two, I have decided to trade in my 2004 996 GT3 for Porsche's latest super 911. Gone will be the clutch and H shifter and in for the Paddle shifters. My zero to 60 time will improve from 4.2 sec (shifting perfectly) to 3.3 seconds with launch control on the new Porsche LOL. Here is a pic of what mine will look like. Probably won't receive it until early Jan.

here's a fun vid of sabine schmitz' comparing the 997.2 variant (2011 RS model) versus the new GT3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeOZL9oGaLg

another review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLv_Cg5C3OI&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• agate grey GT3.jpg
    agate grey GT3.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 15,491

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Lets start a fund for you speeding tickets!

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Lime Rock or Watkins Glen?

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Nice!
I had a 2010 GT3- GT silver with carbon discs- and was awesome. Took it to Barber Motorsports for a weekend, and was busted driving back to NC going 95 mph. "But officer, it didn't seem that fast" didn't cut it. Alas, I'm driving a Boxster S, not because of the traffic stop, but upkeep was a lot on that car when tracking regularly. Enjoy. That GT3 was the finest car Ive ever owned, and I can't imagine how great it is with the PDK.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I had to sell my 911 due to three speeding tickets. I figured what's the point of having it if I can't really use it to it's performance limits. Our back roads have deer and township police.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have the double whammy of 'where can you really drive the thing besides a track?' and I cannot drive it to work being in the Honda business.

so no dream cars for me. I don't need an expensive trophy that only sits in the garage.

but I tell you I lust after the 911's none-the-less, although not sure I would be a GT3 guy but maybe as it would be too tempting.

congrats Rockitman!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
" The odds in West Virginia show that 1 in 41 drivers can expect to collide with a deer over the next year." Info from State Farm Insurance.

"1 in 41" I wonder if they have a PCA club [Porsche Club of America]?

zz.

They key, no night driving, early dawn or twilight.... favorite times for deer to take out cars.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
They key, no night driving, early dawn or twilight.... favorite times for deer to take out cars.

last week I was on vacation on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. Wednesday my wife and I were driving back from a hike in Moran State Park on a 2 lane country road at 3:30pm. Filtered sunlight through the trees, no traffic either way, I'm going 35mph just enjoying life......and 'Wham!!!' the car gets rocked from the left side.....I saw nothing at all. I look in my mirror and a good sized buck white tail is standing up and shaking himself off, and then runs into the trees.

I pull over and get out and see a bit of deer snot on the front edge of my left front fender, a few dents on that fender and a few dents on the drivers door.

if I hit that thing head-on at warp 9 they are scraping me out of my car and putting the pieces into a bag.

on Monday when I got back to work I sent my 'old' dented demo in for repairs and got another one. when we sell the 'dented' demo it will be with full disclosure, the customer will sign a copy of the body shop repair order.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
last week I was on vacation on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. Wednesday my wife and I were driving back from a hike in Moran State Park on a 2 lane country road at 3:30pm. Filtered sunlight through the trees, no traffic either way, I'm going 35mph just enjoying life......and 'Wham!!!' the car gets rocked from the left side.....I saw nothing at all. I look in my mirror and a good sized buck white tail is standing up and shaking himself off, and then runs into the trees.

I pull over and get out and see a bit of deer snot on the front edge of my left front fender, a few dents on that fender and a few dents on the drivers door.

if I hit that thing head-on at warp 9 they are scraping me out of my car and putting the pieces into a bag.

on Monday when I got back to work I sent my 'old' dented demo in for repairs and got another one. when we sell the 'dented' demo it will be with full disclosure, the customer will sign a copy of the body shop repair order.

that's scary. I had a deer hit me at 60 in the driver side front quarter panel SAAB 9-5 aero back in 2001. No one hurt, deer toast and $2,500 repair. deer are a problem. Hunting season needs to be expanded in some parts.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good thing Water Buffalos don't like roads. That's as close to deer as we get.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
will be curious how you like the more computer assisted drive than the 996 (PDK and electro steering rack). the GT3 is my dream car as well :)

mdkim

Nov 7, 2012
Congrats! I thought it was just coincidence that I saw your tag on RL. Small world. Based on all accounts it will be a fantastic car.

I get mine mid-Jan :) Had to delay the build for the buckets.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congrats! I thought it was just coincidence that I saw your tag on RL. Small world. Based on all accounts it will be a fantastic car.

I get mine mid-Jan :) Had to delay the build for the buckets.

yes a very small forum world, isn't it ? Congrats for you too. What color ?

mdkim

Nov 7, 2012
yes a very small forum world, isn't it ? Congrats for you too. What color ?

Since I can't seem to make up my mind it's white. Thankfully my build locks next month. If it wasn't an extra $3k+ I'd strongly consider GT Silver.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Since I can't seem to make up my mind it's white. Thankfully my build locks next month. If it wasn't an extra $3k+ I'd strongly consider GT Silver.

Nice...I have a '13 Cayenne GTS in white. I still may go that way. Final decision tomorrow before the build is submitted to Porsche.

mdkim

Nov 7, 2012
I really want to like the blues but neither worked for me when I saw them in person in direct sunlight. I saw hints of purple in the DBM and the SB looked washed out at certain angles.

Anyways, I know you'll enjoy the car!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have the double whammy of 'where can you really drive the thing besides a track?' and I cannot drive it to work being in the Honda business.

so no dream cars for me. I don't need an expensive trophy that only sits in the garage.

but I tell you I lust after the 911's none-the-less, although not sure I would be a GT3 guy but maybe as it would be too tempting.

congrats Rockitman!!

What do you mean no dream car for you. Get the Honda NSX!

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/honda/2016-honda-nsx-ar100635.html

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
What do you mean no dream car for you. Get the Honda NSX!

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/honda/2016-honda-nsx-ar100635.html

it's an Acura!!!!

can't drive it to work.

i'll likely end up with an S2000 of some sort. it's the kind of car that i can enjoy, but easy to live with and can drive to work. i like the idea of 2 litre, very light, over 100 bhp per liter engine that can rev, along with a very slick manual trans. cheap to maintain too.

i owned one a few years back and enjoyed driving it. i could push it alittle without triple digital speed.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing