2015 Porsche 911 GT3 (991)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
After market ceramic brake rotors is $15k for a set of 4. For the Porsche brand replacements, it's close to $20k. If I were to track this car a lot, I would go steel. I may only do a few track events per year, so they should last for years, subject to periodic pad replacement.

Even though Porsche are one of the best for their ceramic designs?
I am assuming this is about feel/consistency?
Just curious as I am a bit surprised. although acceleration-braking approach is different comparing road and track.
Thanks
Orb

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Even though Porsche are one of the best for their ceramic designs?
I am assuming this is about feel/consistency?
Just curious as I am a bit surprised. although acceleration-braking approach is different comparing road and track.
Thanks
Orb

They do have better stopping factor, fade less when heated up (tracking) and are a significant reduction in unsprung weight which improves handling. On the street, the differences are not so apparent.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I had ceramics on my 2010 GT3, and there was never any fade while tracking. On the other hand, they squeaked like there was no tomorrow many times driving on the street, especially when cold. Still, having suffered severe brake fade while tracking a NSX on Road Atlanta, the squeak wasn't so bad. That (brake fade at the end of a long straightaway) will get your attention real fast, and results in a severe cremaster muscle reflex. :). BTW, looked at the vid on Porsche's website showing a GT3 RS being tracked by a pro driver. Nice! Christian, you must let us know your thoughts after the first track day!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I had ceramics on my 2010 GT3, and there was never any fade while tracking. On the other hand, they squeaked like there was no tomorrow many times driving on the street, especially when cold. Still, having suffered severe brake fade while tracking a NSX on Road Atlanta, the squeak wasn't so bad. That (brake fade at the end of a long straightaway) will get your attention real fast, and results in a severe cremaster muscle reflex. :). BTW, looked at the vid on Porsche's website showing a GT3 RS being tracked by a pro driver. Nice! Christian, you must let us know your thoughts after the first track day!

Yeah downside.
On some cars (not Porsche) they can also feel like they are grabbing when cold.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
They do have better stopping factor, fade less when heated up (tracking) and are a significant reduction in unsprung weight which improves handling. On the street, the differences are not so apparent.

Well I guess the other factor as well with track day is the cost of replacing ceramic brakes, expensive day if they end up damaged and can still suffer wear on heavy tracking.
Surprised about your experience with fade on Porsche, but I never taken upper range on the track in anger.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Thinking this through a bit more, would you use different pads (specifically designed for tracks) and even possibly different rotor style if going iron?
Can see some advantages this provides as have specific track and normal sets, and it is not expensive in comparison to ceramics.

Thanks
Orb

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thinking this through a bit more, would you use different pads (specifically designed for tracks) and even possibly different rotor style if going iron?
Can see some advantages this provides as have specific track and normal sets, and it is not expensive in comparison to ceramics.

Thanks
Orb

I don't plan to heavily track the car and when I do, I take it easy to prevent bad things from happening. I don't need to be the fastest in my run group to enjoy the car so I will brake earlier and coast entering a corner rather than slamming on the brakes at the last possible second (reduces brake ware).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Will this be your daily driver in the summertime (spring/fall perhaps)?

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
THAT is a beautiful car, especially in the orange. Funny how orange, yellow, and bight blue are making a comeback. My M4 is Sakir orange, and I have gotten more compliments about the color than any car in a long time. I was a bit nervous when initially purchasing it- always been a understated color guy, but more pleased as I have lived with the car. Let us see a go pro version of you first track day!!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
My 993 cab was arena red, Porsche speak for maroon. I saw one a couple days ago and I have to say "arena red" is boring! Go for the Orange!

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I had a black 993 cab- last of the air cooled 911s and what a great car! That is until my wife drove it upon starting into the garage wall at an angle. (that car would lurch forward upon starting if the clutch pedal wasn't fully depressed and it was still in gear). Electric top would never go up and engage after that. Wife felt horrible, but it allowed me to acquire a 355 Spider for a short while. All worked out:)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I hope you've driven the GT3 RS version. I had a 2010 GT3, and also drove a RS of that edition. The RS was a "track focused version" of the GT3- louder, much less comfortable, and indeed faster. At my level of driving ability, the GT3 was not the limiting factor in lap times-I was. While I could drive my GT3 back and forth to the track for track days-sometimes 12 hours one way drives-, I would never have been able to drive the RS version. It was just too rough and uncomfortable to do so. Everyone I knew that drove RSs on the track towed their Porsche back and forth, and didn't drive them to the track. Either way, it will be a beast to drive and own. You are very lucky to own either version- there really is no substitute for Porsche , and I say this as I now own a BMW M4. A great car , but no GT3 :(

Isn't the 991 GT3 supposed to be far more comfortable than all previous generations? I've driven a 997 gen 2 TT and the 991 is a huge improvement as far as a daily driver car goes. I was considering the former, but I don't think I could do it having driven the 991, I will probably wait a couple of years for used Turbos to hit the market. The nice thing about the GT3 is they really hold their value well.

I think Porsche should have kept the manual transmission as an option just for their GT3 cars; understandable that the PDK is faster, but for a track car I would prefer manual.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Isn't the 991 GT3 supposed to be far more comfortable than all previous generations? I've driven a 997 gen 2 TT and the 991 is a huge improvement as far as a daily driver car goes. I was considering the former, but I don't think I could do it having driven the 991, I will probably wait a couple of years for used Turbos to hit the market. The nice thing about the GT3 is they really hold their value well.

I think Porsche should have kept the manual transmission as an option just for their GT3 cars; understandable that the PDK is faster, but for a track car I would prefer manual.

yes the 991 series is more comfy. Coming from a 2004 996 GT3, even the new RS will be less raw. The perfect balance of street and track performance.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
there are still children to crush, you can accelerate

First I like fast driving & fast cars, so this interesting addition is not to offend the thread:
Traffic sign in France says >>>"there are still children to crush, you can accelerate".<<< French black humor
Authorities in Burgundy, France have installed the rather peculiar traffic sign . The controversial traffic sign was installed after previous methods of convincing drivers to slow down have failed as the speed bumps, mini roundabout and a 30 km/h speed limit didn't help at all.
caradisiac.com
zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing