MSB's foray into multi channel

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So the MSB stack for multi channel roughly boils down to this:

Video server = $30K
8 channel MCH Processor (with no bass management, DRC or any post processing - basically a MCH input switch) = $30K
8 channel DAC = $125K

Interesting to see if there will be many takers for this questionable value proposition....

It seems to me they are trying to sell into the video / HT market, with a audiophile digital purist mindset (i.e. offer zero features and spend $$$$$ on D/A conversion).

Problem is anyone spending this type of cash an a Home Theater is going to want post processing, run an array of subs and needs bass management, and also will want to use DRC, so it seems to me this offering is dead in the water. May be I am missing something.

http://www.msbtech.com/products/masterDetail.php?Page=master

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
No analog input?

Video server = $30K
8 channel MCH Processor (with no bass management, DRC or any post processing - basically a MCH input switch) = $30K
8 channel DAC = $125K

Interesting to see if there will be many takers for this questionable value proposition....

It seems to me they are trying to sell into the video / HT market, with a audiophile digital purist mindset (i.e. offer zero features and spend $$$$$ on D/A conversion).

Problem is anyone spending this type of cash an a Home Theater is going to want post processing, run an array of subs and needs bass management, and also will want to use DRC, so it seems to me this offering is dead in the water. May be I am missing something.

Any MCH DAC NEEDS an analog input. How will you be able to do proper levels, and get all speakers to time/phase coherent?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Any MCH DAC NEEDS an analog input. How will you be able to do proper levels, and get all speakers to time/phase coherent?

That would typically be a function of the SSP, not the MCH DAC, but all SSPs have a build in DACs. The MSB architecture has separated the DACs from the processor. However, if I understand correctly the $30k processor does not do any time alignment (distance/delay setting) and certainly not phase alignment. It appears not to have a DSP engine, and just be a MCH switch. Not sure how you would do channel trim.

So you either use the video processor as a source and hope this device allows channel trim and delay setting. If you use an Oppo (or their very own UMT plus) you can use the Oppo bass management, delay and channel trim features. All in all an incredibly ill conceived offering for $185K, unless I am missing something.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
There wouldn't be a need for a DSP engine. However, there DOES NEED to be a synchronous in/out on the device. Otherwise, there won't be any way to get the time/phase domain correct on the speakers; no matter how carefully one sets things up.

On the system vs. parts scale (Parts is 0 and System is 5), I give this a 0; purely for "Parts Jockeys". :eek:

That would typically be a function of the SSP, not the MCH DAC, but all SSPs have a build in DACs. The MSB architecture has separated the DACs from the processor. However, if I understand correctly the $30k processor does not do any time alignment (distance/delay setting) and certainly not phase alignment. It appears not to have a DSP engine, and just be a MCH switch. Not sure how you would do channel trim.

So you either use the video processor as a source and hope this device allows channel trim and delay setting. If you use an Oppo (or their very own UMT plus) you can use the Oppo bass management, delay and channel trim features. All in all an incredibly ill conceived offering for $185K, unless I am missing something.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
There wouldn't be a need for a DSP engine. However, there DOES NEED to be a synchronous in/out on the device. Otherwise, there won't be any way to get the time/phase domain correct on the speakers; no matter how carefully one sets things up.

On the system vs. parts scale (Parts is 0 and System is 5), I give this a 0; purely for "Parts Jockeys". :eek:

Insane pricing is one thing ($125K for an 8 channel DAC). But insane pricing for components that have no practical application is insanity squared.

They should have partnered with say Trinnov or another SSP manufacturer and developed an I2S Pro interface for that processor, with one of their clocks. Then slave a stack of downstream MSB DACs over I2S to the hub in synchronous mode. Your upstream processor does the DSP stuff, and MSB does D/A conversion.

It would be something like a MCH version of the Blue Smoke audio USB to I2S Pro converter.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
One could use a different MCH ADC/DAC combo for determining any DSP that needs to be done. However, if you can't apply the DSP it won't help much.

Funny how they worded the volume control option:
None - I am happy with no volume control.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
That's true. For that price, maybe MSB could throw in a Prism Atlas or a Horus. :D

Price may be crazy but if someone want to build the mother of all HT systems and spend a few 100 grand on the digital front end and D/A conversion, why not. The problem is anyone with that aspiration will be completely uninterested because the MSB stack won't meet 30% of their functional needs. I can't think of a single plausible application for this collection of hardware.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Like the new look. I wonder if that is how the DAC V will look like. Let's hope so !

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Video server = $30K
8 channel DAC = $125K

For $20K you can get an Illusonic processor with 4D immersive audio sound, scalable from 2 to 16 channels! http://www.illusonic.com/iap-16/

DavT

Sep 6, 2014
Well, I am a happy owner of an Analog DAC with upgrade power supply and a UMT+ transport. I am really happy with the sound and there is a bit of pride of ownership but this new home theater venture can only make me chuckle. I did look at the calendar thinking it may be April 1 already but I guess they are serious. I wonder what they are going to come out with next year?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing