Spectral PR is AWFUL. Service Dept totally unhelpful.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If designated times means business days and business hours within those days, zero problem. Time slots within that, I dunno man.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Think about it, and pretend you are in California... wouldn't you want to give priority to international dealers during your early morning hours, because of time differences? And save the afternoons for US and others on the same timezones?

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
In my case the telephone contact with Spectral was extraordinary.
After a short wait, I was connected by the operator to an R&D employee.
This is because I had a technical question.
The conversation with the staff member was very generous and friendly.
This was a phone call from Europe:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Think about it, and pretend you are in California... wouldn't you want to give priority to international dealers during your early morning hours, because of time differences? And save the afternoons for US and others on the same timezones?

They can do as they please ack. Do remember that I am in probably the worst time zone to be dealing with the west coast. I'm one of the guys paying the rent but I'm not being whiney expecting them to make time for me anytime I feel like calling. I understand that they have work hours and that they have LIVES. I stay up until really weird hours if I need to actually talk to someone. If I were on the east coast and 4 hours ahead however, I would be a little irked if I had to wait until the afternoon because I had to wait for say, Ken Chan in HK to finish his business. It's not exactly a high volume concern and I doubt the phones are ringing off the hook especially because of the "through dealer network only policy". I'm just saying I'd take any and every call I could during business hours. If I'm busy, leave a message, I'll call you back. I just find the "this is your time slot" policy strange because it is the first I've heard of it for audio or any industry.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Heh, heh, that's why I said earlier their policies are not often defensible; just explainable. And who's to say you couldn't negotiate on your own terms, being so far away.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, policies aside, they make great products at great prices. I'd still take that to all the customer fawning with products that I wouldn't use or won't sell.

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Having a pair of the original DMA200 and thus deciding to bi-amp these brutes, I contacted Spectral on thoughts and concerns and service ( if needed ) very helpful and were surprised that I decided to run this as they haven't see many bi-amping these. Also dreaded asking the "Do/Can you still work on these?" Surprisingly they can, but at a high cost ( didn't know it was one of their more costlier amps to build, yet they still consider them one of their best amps they ever built ) Think it was first introduced as one of the fastest, best amps made that year worldwide ) Not sure on production run but I'm quite happy with both running excellent thus sucking up 1200 watts each at idle, I think they must be purring !! lol

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Gryphon fantastic in this regard...looked after me on 2nd hand pieces. Zanden as well.

Wilson distributor here also great on second hand...many of us have been well looked after.

Zanden I would say no. They make one off products to the Hong Kong market and refuse to sell similar items to other markets because the customers in Hong Kong some how needs to be pampered. I really don't like that. Every customer in every part of the world should be treated the same. A similar attitude is evident at FM Acoustics. I don't like it. So sorry, Lloyd. Zanden does not get my vote for good service.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Zanden I would say no. They make one off products to the Hong Kong market and refuse to sell similar items to other markets because the customers in Hong Kong some how needs to be pampered. I really don't like that. Every customer in every part of the world should be treated the same. A similar attitude is evident at FM Acoustics. I don't like it. So sorry, Lloyd. Zanden does not get my vote for good service.

Well, my personal experience has been excellent with both Yamada San and particularly Eric Pheils. As for their special edition amp, I got the sense it was commissioned by Audio Exotics..in fact, I think it is on the label of the equipment somewhere (made for AE or something)...so I suspect since it was commissioned by them, AE are the sole distributors. Have you spoken with AE about buying one?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The best customer service I ever got was from Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound Company. He continued to do warrenty repairs for Wadia when Wadia was out of business. Even after GNSC had closed shop he finished my units and sent them to me. Unfortunatly one of the components was damaged during that shipment to me when he was finished and this incredible man then sent me a new transport mechanism for free so that my local tech guy could replace it with telephone support from Steve. Most managers would run away from their customers when their company went out of business. Steve did exactly the opposite. He stepped in and made sure that every last customer was serviced as if the company was still up and running. My hat is off to you Steve wherever you are now. I will never forget what you did for me. You set the benchmark for everyone else to follow in regards to great customer service.

Your friend,
Roy

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Well, my personal experience has been excellent with both Yamada San and particularly Eric Pheils. As for their special edition amp, I got the sense it was commissioned by Audio Exotics..in fact, I think it is on the label of the equipment somewhere (made for AE or something)...so I suspect since it was commissioned by them, AE are the sole distributors. Have you spoken with AE about buying one?

Yes, I have spoken to Eric about the possibility of buying a pair of the Chouku and was just snugged off with a comment that it was only made for the HK market. Companies that do things like that are a big no, no on my list. Every customer should be treated equal or I am out. So Zanden will never be in the books for me after that. I also sold my digital combination.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I have spoken to Eric about the possibility of buying a pair of the Chouku and was just snugged off with a comment that it was only made for the HK market. Companies that do things like that are a big no, no on my list. Every customer should be treated equal or I am out. So Zanden will never be in the books for me after that. I also sold my digital combination.

Wow...that is too bad. I am sorry to hear that.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have to agree with ack. I have known Marc for (hard to believe) 30 years and know him to be of exceptional character and ability. It seems to me that dgw should direct his critical comments to Rick Fryer since that is clearly where the buck stops at Spectral. And while most who have dealt with Fryer know him to be demanding, opinionated, and often difficult, I also believe he truly cares about his customers as well as his product. Exceptions and glitches occur in every industry in customer service. The issue is not whether they exist, but how responsive is the company to remediation once they are pointed out? I would defer further condemnation of Spectral until we see how Fryer resolves dgw's concerns. As a Spectral owner, I am certainly hoping he does the right thing.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Hi,

unfortunately I had very similar experiences with spectral years ago.
One of my DMA 80 Monos went dead and I tried to get some advice.
They refused to speak with me.
Ok....

I sold the other amp and did not think anymore about their products.

BR
Andreas

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have to agree with ack. I have known Marc for (hard to believe) 30 years and know him to be of exceptional character and ability. It seems to me that dgw should direct his critical comments to Rick Fryer since that is clearly where the buck stops at Spectral. And while most who have dealt with Fryer know him to be demanding, opinionated, and often difficult, I also believe he truly cares about his customers as well as his product. Exceptions and glitches occur in every industry in customer service. The issue is not whether they exist, but how responsive is the company to remediation once they are pointed out? I would defer further condemnation of Spectral until we see how Fryer resolves dgw's concerns. As a Spectral owner, I am certainly hoping he does the right thing.

As an ex dealer and not a happy one all I can tell you is they are great as long as there is no problem, you are using an approved speaker and cable and it is the right time of the month!!!!
Arrogant, condescending, annoying all are good adjectives to describe the company
Product is excellent just have to drink the freeking cool aid
Good luck

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Called Spectral yesterday about some information about an SDR2000/3000 I am thinking about buying. Never "met" kinder and more helpful people in the audio business! Just wanted to let you know.

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
Called Spectral yesterday about some information about an SDR2000/3000 I am thinking about buying. Never "met" kinder and more helpful people in the audio business! Just wanted to let you know.

That's good to hear. Perhaps they only treat UK Customers in the way they treated me or perhaps they have decided to change their philosophy. Lets hope it is the latter rather than the former because they make excellent gear and deserve to be thought of highly.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Switzerland's the same, Spectral and MIT cable "no-man's-land", so to speak (have to cross the Alps and drive all the way to Milano and beyond to Audio Graffiti for service etc.). Marc at the service department is whom I speak to when I seek advice, gracious, affable guy, jovial really, never stingy with his time, extremely helpful. Sorry to hear about your negative experience, find it confusing and disturbing to say the least.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing