Einstein Turntable's Choice (dual mono) vs ARC REF2SE

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Is there anyone in the crowd who has compared Einstein Turntables's Choice (dual mono version) to REF2SE? Or, who has heard the TTC period? I have this phono-pre and Mikey Fremer once considered in his reference group of phono-amps, circa 2007 or so. I'm curious what others who've heard it have to say and any comparisons. One comment I have heard is that it has a little emphasis on leading edge of transient attacks, maybe slightly over-emphasizing that quality of dynamics, which yields an exciting presentation perhaps ultimately a little fatiguing. On some recordings I could be persuaded of this, and with my prior Wilson Sasha whose titanium tweeter might have also contributed?

Minister of finance said yesterday if I want 2SE I should consider it early Christmas present. Bless her heart. I am thinking if I have a large 600 hour breakin coming with REF10 and REF75, might be good to add REF2SE and break them all in together.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wow! I am a little stunned... Over 100 have viewed my post, but apparently no-one else has had one of these Einstein phono-pre's in their system. Maybe these were not well imported into the states, hence the lack of experience. They do show up on the 'Gon occasionally, so apparently some folks have used them. Personally, I have found it to be a pretty stellar SS phono amp, ticking all the right boxes, though it does have physical limits of only one input and cartridge loading options not the greatest. Pretty cool design though, and outboard power supplies always a good thing. I guess, without yet auditioning the ARC Ref2SE, I was hoping to hear if any thought the ARC would be a big improvement, or possibly just a lateral move?

View attachment 17391

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I did audition the Turntable Choice a while ago, but it was the single-ended version. I lived in Italy at the time, and the distributor assembled a system based on what he was carrying: restored TD124, Ikeda 12" arm, EMT naked cart (don't remember the name, but it was an affordable one at around 900 euros in 2006), NuForce reference amplification of the time, Audio Epilogue floorstanders.

The sound was awesome! Definitely, as you pointed out, this stage has some intrinsic limits: no low gain option (so forget using SUTs for a ultra-low output Dynavector or Kiseki), one input only and a weird design that implies uncomfortable solutions for rack positioning. But with a Lyra or an EMT is a keeper for sure.

I have no idea on how it might compare to an ARC Ref2...

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Years ago I was on a waiting list for a balanced version of the Turntable's Choice. After 8 months I gave up and bought the ASR Basis Exclusiv (which I still use). I've always been intrigued by Einstein. I met Volker Bohlmeier at CES back in January. I was informed that he was working on a new reference tube phono stage.

IMO, before you buy the ARC I would wait to see how this new phono stage manifests itself.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Years ago I was on a waiting list for a balanced version of the Turntable's Choice. After 8 months I gave up and bought the ASR Basis Exclusiv (which I still use). I've always been intrigued by Einstein. I met Volker Bohlmeier at CES back in January. I was informed that he was working on a new reference tube phono stage.

IMO, before you buy the ARC I would wait to see how this new phono stage manifests itself.

I would certainly be one who would want to hear a new phono stage from Einstein. This design in pretty old in the tooth, and with the competition upping the game I hope Volker sees fit to include more loading options, possibly support for more than one source. And tubes baby, tubes!

I am eager to hear it with the Alexias. The silk dome tweeter vs. the titanium one used in the Sashas (v1) ought to make a difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing