Rmaf 2014

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Unless I've missed it, there is no topic for this show less than a month away? I'm probably not going, but I assume some are? Steve, are pictures and a travelog in our future?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Unfortunately, I'll miss this year, too. I waited too long to get a decent room, so that weekend I'm taking a turntable to the other end of the country.

Steve,
Best wishes on your surgery.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Paragon/Doshi again?

JPS Labs/Abyss Headphones

I'll have my Macbook/Audirvana playing through my Lampizator DSD into a Cavalli Liquid Gold Headphone amp and Abyss Headphones. IMO, the best headphone combo available anywhere!

Unfortunately Doshi won't be showing this year.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
JPS Labs/Abyss Headphones

I'll have my Macbook/Audirvana playing through my Lampizator DSD into a Cavalli Liquid Gold Headphone amp and Abyss Headphones. IMO, the best headphone combo available anywhere!

Unfortunately Doshi won't be showing this year.

Loved Room 8000 at RMAF last year. I'll definitely stop by! :)

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I'm a long time JRiver Media Center user (10+ years) and beta tester. Last year after RMAF I volunteered to help JRiver host a room at RMAF 2014. They took me up on it so I will be in Room 2016. I asked Jeff Permanian of JTR Speakers to bring his new Noesis 215RT (Reference Tower) speakers. I was able to first hear them in March at a combined Noesis 215RT launch/Pono demonstration in Sacramento. I was very impressed. I've since heard them again at a friend's house in Iowa. The 215RT is a fullrange tower with a frequency response of 18-24,000 Hz.

Other than the speakers, I'm bringing all my own gear.
Media Server: Custom built server with "zero fan speed" PSU and graphics card, JRiver Media Center 20
DAC: Lynx Aurora 16-Thunderbolt
Amplifiers: Digital Amp Company Cherry MONO Plus (completely custom Class D amps with linear power supplies). Andre Marc reviewed their little brother recently in ToneAudio
Power: Torus Power RM2.5 and RM20
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics - 10 Tri-Traps, two 224 panels, two 244 panels, 4 diffusors
Control: Gizmo, JRemote, and eos apps; phone, tablet, laptop; Linux, Mac, and Windows computers

I think we are the only room using a Thunderbolt DAC and I will have both copper and optical Thunderbolt cables available. Media storage is on a Thunderbolt drive array. With a single Thunderbolt cable from the media server, I could scale up to 288 TB of storage space!

Vapor Audio (Vapor1 at WhatsBestForum) will be right down the hall in room 2024.

Mark Seaton and Seaton Sound will also be at RMAF this year and are in room 441. I think this is Mark's first time to take his Catalyst 12C speakers to RMAF.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
I'm a long time JRiver Media Center user (10+ years) and beta tester. Last year after RMAF I volunteered to help JRiver host a room at RMAF 2014. They took me up on it so I will be in Room 2016. I asked Jeff Permanian of JTR Speakers to bring his new Noesis 215RT (Reference Tower) speakers. I was able to first hear them in March at a combined Noesis 215RT launch/Pono demonstration in Sacramento. I was very impressed. I've since heard them again at a friend's house in Iowa. The 215RT is a fullrange tower with a frequency response of 18-24,000 Hz.

Other than the speakers, I'm bringing all my own gear.
Media Server: Custom built server with "zero fan speed" PSU and graphics card, JRiver Media Center 20
DAC: Lynx Aurora 16-Thunderbolt
Amplifiers: Digital Amp Company Cherry MONO Plus (completely custom Class D amps with linear power supplies). Andre Marc reviewed their little brother recently in ToneAudio
Power: Torus Power RM2.5 and RM20
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics - 10 Tri-Traps, two 224 panels, two 244 panels, 4 diffusors
Control: Gizmo, JRemote, and eos apps; phone, tablet, laptop; Linux, Mac, and Windows computers

I think we are the only room using a Thunderbolt DAC and I will have both copper and optical Thunderbolt cables available. Media storage is on a Thunderbolt drive array. With a single Thunderbolt cable from the media server, I could scale up to 288 TB of storage space!

Vapor Audio (Vapor1 at WhatsBestForum) will be right down the hall in room 2024.

Mark Seaton and Seaton Sound will also be at RMAF this year and are in room 441. I think this is Mark's first time to take his Catalyst 12C speakers to RMAF.

Thanks Michael for the mention.

While I've been attending for years, this is my first year demonstrating. I'm keeping this show to a simple stereo setup with the Catalyst 12C's running in full range mode and the DDRC-22AD box from MiniDSP handling Dirac Live correction and D/A + Volume straight to the powered Catalysts. I'll also be running JRiver on my Baetis Audio PC I've used at the last few shows (saved me valuable time building/sorting the PC).

My intent is as much a meet & greet as it is to let some people hear what Catalyst 12Cs sound like in a more familiar setting for the RMAF crowd. Many are aware of their prowess when used in a large dedicated HT, but combined with a room correction system they can be a lot of fun in a 2ch setting.

I look forward to catching up with many I've met at past WBF dinners. Please be sure to identify yourself and say hello.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing