My DIY elevators for ribbon speaker cables..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
When you're running ribbon or flat speaker cables like my Verbatims the normal elevators don't work. So I came up with these little guys that are comprised of a menu holder attached to a hockey puck. I wrapped the cables with a velcro strap, placed insulating rubber between them and pushed the two into the menu holder. Not sure they impact the sound but they look pretty cool IMHO... ;)

cable support 1 resized.jpg cable support 2 resized.jpg

Attachments

• cable support 1.jpg
    cable support 1.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 2,729
  • cable support 2.jpg
    cable support 2.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 1,796

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's pretty ingenious! Nice!:D

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Great idea Gavin

you should market that little idea

Parts cost: $6, marketing (website, ads, etc.) $50, one hour assembly time $100 then times it all by 5= $780 each.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
....But if you act within the next 20 minutes, you can get these at the low, low installment price of $99.00 each!*

*Plus shipping charges, handling charges and duty fees totaling $425.00 (not including installment fees) :D

Seriously, those look cool and would be a welcome idea for any ribbon type speaker wire(s).

Tom

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Parts cost: $6, marketing (website, ads, etc.) $50, one hour assembly time $100 then times it all by 5= $780 each.

Actually Peter they total cost was something less that six bucks but who's counting? No plans to move into a higher tax bracket but thanks for the props fellow a'philers!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Actually, I may have you beat on cost but not looks. When I had Nordost Valhallas, I ordered 2 large number 10 black rubber stoppers (about $2 each). One served as a base. On the other, I ran a groove about 1/2" deep across the top using a bread knife. The ribbon fit in beautifully and was held in place by the natural tendency of the gap to be closed in the resting position. I used several of these along the length of the cable run. Not much better insulators out there than rubber. Looks= 0, Functionality= 9, cost =10!!

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Gavin,

Where did you get the menu holders?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'd tell you Mosin but then I'd have to kill you :)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
When you're running ribbon or flat speaker cables like my Verbatims the normal elevators don't work. So I came up with these little guys that are comprised of a menu holder attached to a hockey puck. I wrapped the cables with a velcro strap, placed insulating rubber between them and pushed the two into the menu holder. Not sure they impact the sound but they look pretty cool IMHO... ;)

View attachment 17344 View attachment 17345

Nice.

I recently made some for my DIY ribbon cables. I noticed that the system sounded better when the cables were standing on edge, as opposed to laying flat on the carpet. So decided to make some risers. I used Balsa wood, and Maple for the bases.

10-22-14 004.jpg 10-22-14 005.jpg 10-22-14 006.jpg

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks Gavin, I have not had time to make the risers look pretty yet. Plan on sanding and putting a finish on them soon. I may also cut the edges on top at an angle, so they don't look so square.

The cables are similar to Nordost designs. They have 40 conductors at 24 awg for each channel. Teflon insulated. Total gauge per leg is between 11 and 12 awg. Nordost are silver plated copper, mine are unplated copper. They sound more transparent to the source than my previous coaxial Sanders Sound cables. Especially when lifted above the carpet. I tried putting risers under my previous speaker cables in the past, but did not hear any difference with them. My ribbon cables have much less insulation so I'm guessing that is why I can hear the effect of the carpet adding capacitance to the cables?

Wish I had a LCR meter to see were the values lie in the finished design.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thanks...I run Verbatim ribbon cables in a biwired config. They were made by a gentleman named Paul Garner several years ago and have somewhat of a cult following. I was fortunate to buy a pair from a fellow in the UK. I've compared them to some very expensive cables and my ears and those of several others have concurred that they best the big boys...very cool those ribbon cables!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks...I run Verbatim ribbon cables in a biwired config. They were made by a gentleman named Paul Garner several years ago and have somewhat of a cult following. I was fortunate to buy a pair from a fellow in the UK. I've compared them to some very expensive cables and my ears and those of several others have concurred that they best the big boys...very cool those ribbon cables!

Those are interesting cables. I looked them up online. They are a ribbon foil design. Similar to Alpha Core/Goertz. I have thought about either making or buying some foil ribbon speaker cables but had read about reports of incompatability with my speaker/amp combo unfortunately. From what I have read foil speaker cables are super low inductance and high capacitance. The high capacitance can send some amps into oscillation. The designer of my speakers and amps (Innersound) recommends low inductance and capacitance, so that is what I am shooting for.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Makes sense. My MC501s seem to be happy campers..

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Actually, I may have you beat on cost but not looks. When I had Nordost Valhallas, I ordered 2 large number 10 black rubber stoppers (about $2 each). One served as a base. On the other, I ran a groove about 1/2" deep across the top using a bread knife. The ribbon fit in beautifully and was held in place by the natural tendency of the gap to be closed in the resting position. I used several of these along the length of the cable run. Not much better insulators out there than rubber. Looks= 0, Functionality= 9, cost =10!!

Marty..

I've piggybacked off your idea for the flat cables that feed my subwoofers. As a base I used stacked hockey pucks and like you a #10 lab rubber stopper. It works great and IMO doesn't look terribly unaesthetic...heh heh

cable elevator hockey puck stopper.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing