CJ amps wired in Triode mode ? ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I seem to remember some CJ amps were available wired in Triode mode. Am I dreaming? Can they still do it now? I sent an email to tech support and am waiting for an answer. Thanks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I seem to remember some CJ amps were available wired in Triode mode. Am I dreaming? Can they still do it now? I sent an email to tech support and am waiting for an answer. Thanks.
Yes, i recall that as well, Joe. The old Premier 8 came 8XS which was set in triode mode so half the power, but apparently sublime.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne

G'day Joe,

I see that in your systems component listing you have the SF Stradivari! So did you get the pair finally, and how are they with your c-j amps?

Ref to triode configuration; yes nearly all c-j tube power amps can be configured in triode if you wish to do so.
I don't know if you're planning on doing this with the ART monoblocks, I would certainly think c-j could do this quite easily, of course at a cost.

This would definitely half the output power, and make them more suited to high efficiency monitors. If your ART amps are fitted with KT120's, then this type of sound would most certainly be far better than in triode mode. However, if the ART amps had 6550c's, then triode may be an interesting venture with the much smaller EL34 type.
See what they say and check it out. Do let us know, this sounds interesting!
RJ

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi RJ,

YES!

My Strads are wonderful. I am so happy and satisfied. I've obsessed over them for years and they are everything that I've wanted in a speaker. With the CJ gear, stellar! With everything else? Just as wonderful. I am a happy camper. :)

Thank you for all the advice and help over these months/years.

My ART monos came with KT120's. I don't plan on changing anything on them. I might play with a lower powered CJ amp wired in triode if available, just a passing thought.

I'll keep you posted. ;)

G'day Joe,

I see that in your systems component listing you have the SF Stradivari! So did you get the pair finally, and how are they with your c-j amps?

Ref to triode configuration; yes nearly all c-j tube power amps can be configured in triode if you wish to do so.
I don't know if you're planning on doing this with the ART monoblocks, I would certainly think c-j could do this quite easily, of course at a cost.

This would definitely half the output power, and make them more suited to high efficiency monitors. If your ART amps are fitted with KT120's, then this type of sound would most certainly be far better than in triode mode. However, if the ART amps had 6550c's, then triode may be an interesting venture with the much smaller EL34 type.
See what they say and check it out. Do let us know, this sounds interesting!
RJ

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I can get Mullard EL34's wired in Triode mode on an ARTsa chassis from Conrad Johnson. I am waiting now for an idea of how much power it will put out.

Last edited:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Excellent mate! That sounds fantastic. I would certainly love to hear the Strads driven with top of the Art amplification from cj. Must be one special sound indeed.

I have listened extensively to the Strads driven by Arc gear, quite impressive but not close to that signature quality of cj...
Very glad to hear that this is the sound you were after finally.

The Artsa in triode mode would be something very special. I think the ouput would drop from 140 to around 70w. That's still ample power to drive most speakers and would sound wonderful. I have had happy experiences with cj's triode configurations, they are simply magic with the right speakers.
Those kt120's though are really special, presents the best of both worlds, all the attributes of a 6550, kt88 and a bit of el34 magic as well. ..

Great stuff mate! Do enjoy.
If you were any closer to where live, I would have been a regular resident at your place for sure!
Cheers Joe, have a good one. RJ

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you RJ,

Any CJ lover is a friend of mine. I need to do a little more research on the triode amp before I commit to it. I'll keep you posted my friend.

I've been playing with a 25-30 wpc McIntosh MC225 amp the past few days. More than enough power for me and wonderful sound to boot. Even if the Triode EL34 is 35-70 wpc., it will be more than enough for me.

Could be fun!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing