Benchmark amp

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It will come as no surprise to many of you that, while I don't own any of their products, I'm an admirer of Benchmark's approach, which is at once pragmatic and uncompromising. Like their excellent DAC, I suspect this amp will be dismissed by many audiophiles as sterile, and it appears to be so clean that sterile, in the true sense of that word, is both appropriate and high praise.

When noise is this low and dynamic swings are this high, no, amplifiers don't sound alike. Pity all that excellence will have to be compromised by passive crossovers. I'd love to hear it, nonetheless.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Tim

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Sounded great at the Chicago show paired w/their DAC/preamp and speakers (formerly Studio Electric). Killer value system.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
It will come as no surprise to many of you that, while I don't own any of their products, I'm an admirer of Benchmark's approach, which is at once pragmatic and uncompromising. Like their excellent DAC, I suspect this amp will be dismissed by many audiophiles as sterile, and it appears to be so clean that sterile, in the true sense of that word, is both appropriate and high praise.

When noise is this low and dynamic swings are this high, no, amplifiers don't sound alike. Pity all that excellence will have to be compromised by passive crossovers. I'd love to hear it, nonetheless.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Tim

yes very intereting amp

i've had one on order for months. It would be nice if they actually started shipping them.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Their specs leave a lot to be desired IMO. Rating stuff at full power and only 1KHz makes me wonder what is happening across the frequency band at say 20 to 20Khz at 1 watt or even 0.5 watt. If the amp is really good in those areas as is in noise, then why don't they clearly convey that.

Just for an example of spec atleast at 8ohms would be:'

Less than 0.02% total harmonic distortion at ANY power level up to 115W continiuos average power per channel into 8 ohms at ANY frequency between 20hz and 20khz with BOTH channels driven.

then there is the much more telling spec in my amp: im distortion: less than 0.005% FROM 1 watt to 115 watts into 8 ohms.

I see no imd spec for the benchmark........

that's just one typical modest and conservative spec of one of my amps, and it tells you a LOT about the unit at 8 ohm loading at ANY power level.

Now again for my amp spec'd above, it is MEASURED by me at 350 watts, at 1KHz 0.004% and at 20hz 0.002% and at 20Khz 0.040%..... so would benchmark rate this amp at 1Khz into 8ohms as 0.004% and call it done?!

Benchmark is conveniently quiet IMO about the FULL capability of this amp, but I know that specs don't mean nuttin to some folks anyway....and that's not my concern here, more about what benchmark don't tell in this case.

the amp certainly looks like it is well thought out never the less.

True, it would be nice to have complete specs. It seems they believe it is advancement in amp design. We'll see.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
From the Benchmark site: Update 7/28/14 - Three Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers were demonstrated in a surround sound system at the Capital Audiofest. The system included three Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers driving Legacy Expression and Legacy Studio HD loudspeakers.

This is a bizarre notice. We covered the fest, room by room by room. There was no Benchmark at the show.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
From the Benchmark site: Update 7/28/14 - Three Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers were demonstrated in a surround sound system at the Capital Audiofest. The system included three Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers driving Legacy Expression and Legacy Studio HD loudspeakers.

This is a bizarre notice. We covered the fest, room by room by room. There was no Benchmark at the show.

The mystery amplifier.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It will come as no surprise to many of you that, while I don't own any of their products, I'm an admirer of Benchmark's approach, which is at once pragmatic and uncompromising. (...)

It looks this is the amplifier for HiRez believers. Quoted from their site:

There’s a huge problem with HD music today. Recent advances in high-resolution digital formats have well outpaced most existing amplifier technologies. It is now possible to produce and distribute recordings that have dynamic ranges that exceed 120 to 125 dB . However, it is hard to find a power amplifier that can deliver more than 100 to 105 dB of dynamic range. Most of the advantages of the high-resolution formats are lost in even high-end setups. Benchmark saw clearly that the differences between a 16-bit recording and a 24-bit recording cannot be fully appreciated through a power amplifier that can only achieve 16 to 18-bit performance . That’s why we created the AHB2, a perfect match to the new high-resolution digital format

EVOLVIST

Apr 20, 2017
It's strange that this thread ended right here. I bought the Benchmark AHB2 to pair with my Chord DAVE to see if the specs matched the sound, since Chord didn't have an amp offering to match the DAVE.

I've never looked back. The AHB2 deliverers in every level, with all of the grunt you need, as well as the delicacy.

Well, I don't have a DAVE anymore, but this amp has showed me that it's never the weakest link with a Lampi GG and a Metrum Adagio. Next up, the Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst.

I think everyone should give this a try if you only want to hear the sound of your DAC and nothing else.

Last edited:

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
It's strange that this thread ended right here. I bought the Benchmark AHB2 to pair with my Chord DAVE to see if the specs matched the sound, since Chord didn't have an amp offering to match the DAVE.

I've never looked back. The AHB2 deliverers in every level, with all of the grunt you need, as well as the delicacy.

Well, I don't have a DAVE anymore, but this amp has showed me that it's never the weakest link with a Lampi GG and a Metrum Adagio. Next up, the Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst.

I think everyone should give this a try if you only want to hear the sound of your DAC and nothing else.

I currently have a Firstwatt F7, and am really wondering if the Benchmark amp is an upgrade. I value neutrality and transparency, so this seems like the amp to get.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing