4K video is here, give it a try!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
We have been waiting to roll out the 4K option. The resolution (even on Youtube) is stunning. It calls for new camera techniques and editing routines. Here you go, give it a try in this test video.

Please set the Youtube "gear" to 2160p.

4k.jpg

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I was surprised my computer/monitor even played the 4k signal. It had some judder, but it played. Of course, my monitor isn't 4k so the effect is old fashioned hi def.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I do think all these manufacturers though are jumping the gun.
The graphic processing hardware is pretty intense, requires 4x more bandwidth/data streamed, and requires the film and tv industry to film in 4k otherwise just upscaling.

The graphic processing hardware may be more related to gaming/rendering/texturing/etc rather than playing back video related content, I just know current GPUs cannot play any modern games at 4k let alone 1600p at decent framefrates (and that is using 2 top of the range GPUs combined).

Peter, great your recording in 4k as nice to hear about someone's experience; you notice any hardware considerations for consumers and TV/monitors?
I assume it is more game/graphics related rather than video but curious if there is still some kind of major overhead.
Anyone else with 4k TV/monitors and experience using them?
Part of this I would say is the digital-video options within the TV/monitor.
Thanks
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was surprised my computer/monitor even played the 4k signal. It had some judder, but it played. Of course, my monitor isn't 4k so the effect is old fashioned hi def.

That was my experience as well.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I was sold on 4K in February when I saw a 2160p vs. 1080p on Sony's Youtube channel. I use a NVIDIA GTX 660 graphics card and with 1080p max resolution . You could easily see the difference in the test videos.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah agree visually stunning.
Peter, so runs very smooth without any slowdowns/judder/artefact on the screen/monitor?
Thanks
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing