Graham Phantom III/Elite

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I exchanged some emails with Bob re: the Phantom set-up "jigs" for 10.5 armwands. He now has "jigs" for all three arm lengths. He also mentioned that there will be a Phantom III as well as the Elite. He sent me a "jpeg" that has some slight changes compared to the earlier images that are out and about. Bob said the P-III will have the new wire, changes to the counterweight and some minor internal changes. He mentioned a new web site is being developed that will have more information. I'll try and get the "pic" to load. Hopefully, Bob won't mind a little extra exposure re: the new Phantom's.

Attachments

• Elite_Tonearm_Full_View.jpg
    Elite_Tonearm_Full_View.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 2,809
Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
pretty sweet looking...love the silver and black

number95

May 14, 2014
Yeah, I can't wait to hear (read) how it sounds, even if it's only via a review.

You do not need to wait. The arm sounds terrific as you can see from a real usage ;) photo.jpg

number95

May 14, 2014
The differences btwn the G 2.2 and the Phantom-S were jaw dropping. I can only imagine......

I have not tried Supreme but had B-44 for years. Elite is a big step forward over B-44 but have no idea how it improves over Supreme II.

Tubedoctor

Dec 12, 2012
I had a Phantom Supreme and it was a noticeable improvement to my former Phantom II. I havent heard the Elite yet but it will be on my list.

Reactions: uber2

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
sorry . Shouldn't be posting abt other arm in Phantom thread

number95

May 14, 2014

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
I just finished upgrading my VPI TNT arm to a Graham Phantom III. It would be an understatement to simply say that it was an improvement over the JMW 10 Memorial. There is a world of difference and don't feel that I have it fully dialed in yet. It is an impressive kit...and love the ease of set up!

Attachments

• Phantom3.jpg
    Phantom3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 296

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
No doubt, the Phantom arms are a pure pleasure to use, and hear. If you were coming from a VPI arm it's no surprise you're be blown away with the upgrade. And Bob Graham has appeared on these forums again as of late, which is good news for support of these arms.

I have a Phantom Supreme, though I kinda wish I'd waited a year later and got a brand new III! Beautiful arms.

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
The Graham design aspect I appreciate most is the azimuth adjustment. The VPI had the weights that I constantly had to fiddle with and was a PITA. Also the arm is so wobbly that I wonder how that effected sound. While the Graham is still a unipivot, it feels rock solid in azimuth.....

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
I exchanged some emails with Bob re: the Phantom set-up "jigs" for 10.5 armwands. He now has "jigs" for all three arm lengths. He also mentioned that there will be a Phantom III as well as the Elite. He sent me a "jpeg" that has some slight changes compared to the earlier images that are out and about. Bob said the P-III will have the new wire, changes to the counterweight and some minor internal changes. He mentioned a new web site is being developed that will have more information. I'll try and get the "pic" to load. Hopefully, Bob won't mind a little extra exposure re: the new Phantom's.

For me it is one of the most beautiful Tonearms in existence at the moment.
Love the black/silver contrast.

chelseadave

Nov 25, 2014
London UK
I have a Phantom II tonearm and have just bought an Audio Note Io Gold cartridge but at 20 grams it is to heavy. Does anyone know the weight limit for the Phantom III? I have been calling Bob but no luck so far.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have you checked with Guy of pure sound, he knows a lot about these carts. discussing with him and Gian and the zerostargeneral the magic cart will probably be the AN IO Ltd with SUT

chelseadave

Nov 25, 2014
London UK
Guy is the guy who sold me the cart. And with blu-tac and piece of Stillpoint (don’t ask) it is up and running and sounding great. I am using a MSL 1030 SUT at the moment but should sound even better with my new Dave Slagle silver SUT when it arrives. AN IO Ltd. is the pinnacle but to much money and faff for me. Cheers Bonzo.

Reactions: bonzo75

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
@chelseadave
I have one Koetsu Onyx that is thicker, and a couple grams heavier, than my other stone bodies (despite all being spec'd at 13 grams) - this one exceeds the capabilities of my Phantom Supreme's stock weight. There's an extra, smaller counterweight that can piggyback onto the main counterweight adjustment's thumbscrew mechanism. It's not included in the box, but it probably should be (for that matter, my Phantom didn't even ship with a copy of the manual!). With the extra weight, you should easily be able to accommodate 20g.

Yeah, getting in touch with Graham - good luck. He'll probably turn up at some point and blame his email servers again. GET A FACEBOOK PAGE, BOB. Great, superb arms (I truly love the Phantom and enjoy it many hours each week with a rotation of a few Koetsu carts), but frustrating customer support. Back when I went through this, Musical Surroundings was a Graham distributor - M.S. has STELLAR service, and they supplied me a manual and the extra counterweight (Graham wanted 100 bucks for it), free of charge, in short order. I also wanted some extra wands that were perpetually out of stock, and eventually met my needs on the used marker. A couple years later I noticed M.S. stopped distributing Graham...I'm sad about that but don't have to wonder why.

If there was any reliable support to be had, I'd love to upgrade my Phantom to a III.

chelseadave

Nov 25, 2014
London UK
@chelseadave
I have one Koetsu Onyx that is thicker, and a couple grams heavier, than my other stone bodies (despite all being spec'd at 13 grams) - this one exceeds the capabilities of my Phantom Supreme's stock weight. There's an extra, smaller counterweight that can piggyback onto the main counterweight adjustment's thumbscrew mechanism. It's not included in the box, but it probably should be (for that matter, my Phantom didn't even ship with a copy of the manual!). With the extra weight, you should easily be able to accommodate 20g.

Yeah, getting in touch with Graham - good luck. He'll probably turn up at some point and blame his email servers again. GET A FACEBOOK PAGE, BOB. Great, superb arms (I truly love the Phantom and enjoy it many hours each week with a rotation of a few Koetsu carts), but frustrating customer support. Back when I went through this, Musical Surroundings was a Graham distributor - M.S. has STELLAR service, and they supplied me a manual and the extra counterweight (Graham wanted 100 bucks for it), free of charge, in short order. I also wanted some extra wands that were perpetually out of stock, and eventually met my needs on the used marker. A couple years later I noticed M.S. stopped distributing Graham...I'm sad about that but don't have to wonder why.

If there was any reliable support to be had, I'd love to upgrade my Phantom to a III.

Thanks for that. A dealer here in the UK has had an email answer from Bob and he seems confident that the heavier weight from the Phantom III will do the trick but your ‘piggyback’ suggestion has real merit. Feeling more confident now. Cheers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing