Revox PR99 Upgrades

timroswell

Sep 9, 2014
While out on EBay, I saw a person from Australia advertising various upgrades for PR99, for example
  1. Capacitor and preset pot upgrade kit
  2. Tape Guide bearings + Pinch Roller
  3. Motor upgrade kit for all 3 motors, seems to be new bearings and lube

I'm the original owner of a PR99, non professional over the years. I'm wondering if anyone has done this type of upgrade? I'm most curious about a cap upgrade, I've done that in the past with other vintage pieces of equipment plus some newer ones too.

Anyone have experience or comments on something like this?

timroswell

Sep 9, 2014
I posted a cap modification of Revox PR99 on 09-26-2010 (post 572)
tony ma

I saw that post but does not really tell me anything in what I was asking. I really can't tell exactly what you did cap wise. Plus you din't mention any improvement in sound etc.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I saw that post but does not really tell me anything in what I was asking. I really can't tell exactly what you did cap wise. Plus you din't mention any improvement in sound etc.

The transport section is OK of my machine the main change was sound path cap into better quality item, I have two PR99 so compared the stock and modified in big different of transparency and emotion
tony ma

timroswell

Sep 9, 2014
The transport section is OK of my machine the main change was sound path cap into better quality item, I have two PR99 so compared the stock and modified in big different of transparency and emotion
tony ma

Thank you. I'm sure the cap replacement would/should make a difference, but was curious about everything else. Since I'm in the USA, figured since its all coming from Australia, might as well order everything. The guy indicates in his listing, that caps/pots are all top quality etc. But was curious if anyone had ACTUAL experience with his parts.

Actually thinking of completely dismantling the PR99, cleaning everything, relubricate, send out part of the case to be repainted, upgrade some of the jacks etc. Maybe new heads, certainly realignment etc.

Plus what would really be nice, is to send out the upper panel, have some slight scratches, wear marks, get refinished BUT would really nice to get the lettering silk screened in a nbr of places. Just wish I knew of a shop that could do production quality work. Same with the rack ears, get refinished too

All kinda a keep busy project.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Tim,

Feel free to do as many upgrades to the unit as you wish. You will then have a "decent" transport with "OK" electronics. I've made many modifications to this and it's predecessor decks, and if this is as far as you care to go sonically, so be it.

And - minimal ADDITIONAL resale value; if that counts for anything.

Charles

timroswell

Sep 9, 2014
Tim,

Feel free to do as many upgrades to the unit as you wish. You will then have a "decent" transport with "OK" electronics. I've made many modifications to this and it's predecessor decks, and if this is as far as you care to go sonically, so be it.

And - minimal ADDITIONAL resale value; if that counts for anything.

Charles

To be honest its just more or a less a project I thought that might be fun plus something I can do myself. It like when I used to restore cars, but now I'm too old to be dealing with auto parts, engines, bodywork etc. so looking for something more interesting.
But if other things I can do, I'm all ears. Basically I'm thinking what I'm going to do now is more maintenance then anything else.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tim,

Do you want to record tapes or just to play them?

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Go for it Tim,

If your machine handles tape OK right now, and you have some tapes to play, I'd suggest (as Tony did) starting by upgrading the capacitors on the playback and record boards. Then play/record the tapes again and see if you can detect an improvement in sound. If you like those results, then "keep going" with the mechanical/cosmetic upgrades - as far as you like.

You didn't mention the speeds or track configuration (2 track or quarter-track) of the deck. If it's quarter-track, there are some great, AFFORDABLE, pre-records "out there" on a lot of genres that never made it to two track.

A caveat on the boards - also mentioned in other places; the adjustable arms on the trimmer pots have probably lost their spring tension, and any change, even joggling the boards could cause the metal arm to loose electrical contact with its carbon resistive element. Replace the pots too but first measure their resistance so you can set/preset the new pots to the same value.

Have fun and let us know how it works out.

Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing