The game developer, the CIA, and the sculpture driving them all crazy

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Something a bit different to tech links-articles been posting but just as techie and geekie :)

Now this is a really interesting/great article about the Kryptos sculpture at CIA Langley, the woman who has become heavily involved in the Kryptos code breaking community and how her interest and attempts to both get close to the sculpture and decode its messages, and some of its interesting history/people including the sculpture/cryptography artist (also known for other works beyond this genre) Jim Sanborn.
At one point it may seem Elonka Dunin is describing a standard Tesla Coil (Jim Sanborn is/was building his own particle accelerator lol) but it is actually a particle accelerator based upon I think a Van de Graaff generator working pretty similar to linacs (linear accelerator).

Great read, but make sure have time as it is moderately long for a magazine article; and yes quite shocking to read something like this in a computer gaming publication :)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...the+CIA,+and+the+sculpture+driving+them+crazy

Enjoy
Orb

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
She's a fun lady to talk to! Also... you should have seen her tear apart the last Dan Brown novel on her Facebook page. :) She was one of my Top Women in Gaming article - oh... years back from a print Gamer magazine that's no longer in publication.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
She made me smile with her describing the lifting of some stone figures by ropes to that of Japanese rope bondage :D
Well, err, one could ask how that made it into her mind and knowledge lol; yes typical of a man to pick that out of a great article :)

More seriously she does sound like a great and fun person and one to meet!
Hmm maybe I should join Facebook just to read how she took Dan Brown's novels :)
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing