JackD's Picks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Come to think of it, that Joshua Tree -esque intro was probably what got my attention. Thanks Amir :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When the whole family is in the family van, eldest daughter (14 yrs old) gets to play all the music. Maybe because she's the only one that bothered to sync up the bluetooth LOL. Anyway one Sunday morning on the way to Church, this little gem pops out of the car stereo. There's a saying that all that's old becomes new again. This song has so many influences from bands I listened to when I was her age. Vocals reminiscent of Propaganda, synth work like early Depeche Mode, chord progressions like later Ultravox. Love that maybe generations just might not be divided all that much. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speaking of Ultravox, vocalist Midge Ure is I think a "semi-obscure" guy. Those that remember him don't remember his vocal chops (one of the few 4 octave guys) but rather remember him as "the other guy" that started Band Aid and Live Aid alongside Bob Geldof. To my surprise I find him guesting for Schiller! His voice is still pretty darned great.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I still don't know how exactly it happened but Dead Can Dance somehow entered the Audiophile mainstream. You can say that it was something I never imagined would happen, see, back in the early 80's we had just come out of 20 years of martial law. It was a confused time for those of us born during the era. Martial law babies we were called. This coincided with the post punk era and in this era two unforgettable female voices spread through the underground in the form of tapes recorded off foreign pirate radio stations. So you can see how seeing DCD on Stereophile came as a bit of a shock to me. This was deep underground stuff with ZERO radio play.

In a sense these two were like the opposing sides of the same coin, heads' singer had this powerful, dark piercing quality while tails' was plaintive, mourning, delicate but just as entrancing. Both unique in the strange way that nobody could understand what the heck they were saying! LOL. At any rate, Ms. Powerful pretty much became a household name (no not really) by virtue of her work with Zimmer on Oscar Best Picture winner, The Gladiator. The other? Well if there was Dark and Darker Dead Can Dance there was the swirling, sometimes luminous Cocteau Twins. Here they are in their youth. Dead Can DAnce's Ms Lisa Gerrard performing Sanvean and of course Cocteau Twins' Ms Elisabeth Frazier singing Tim Buckley's Song to the Siren. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Jack,

You have any music I heard of?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm sure I do Rodney. Been looking back especially at the fringe stuff lately. Stuff I haven't listened to in my collection for over 20 years. I found the Mortal Coil box set while looking for some tubes I had stashed away. Almost twenty years anyway. :D

Dang, I still owe you a burn of Q's Jook Joint. Now where did I put that?

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Speaking of Ultravox, vocalist Midge Ure is I think a "semi-obscure" guy. Those that remember him don't remember his vocal chops (one of the few 4 octave guys) but rather remember him as "the other guy" that started Band Aid and Live Aid alongside Bob Geldof. To my surprise I find him guesting for Schiller! His voice is still pretty darned great.

You might want to check out the work of the original Ultravox lead singer (John Foxx). I think that this was considered quite pioneering work (Underpass, etc.).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey! Thanks for the heads up. I'll do that. Sam Blue, to be kind, sucked.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I'm sure I do Rodney. Been looking back especially at the fringe stuff lately. Stuff I haven't listened to in my collection for over 20 years. I found the Mortal Coil box set while looking for some tubes I had stashed away. Almost twenty years anyway. :D

Dang, I still owe you a burn of Q's Jook Joint. Now where did I put that?

I picked up a copy so you are off the hook:mad:
(Listening to it now)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll make it up to you :D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I was watching Amazing Spiderman 2 in a theater some time back and this song jumped out at me and made me sit up straight. Don't know why really, it just did. Great lyrics.

Phosphorescent is terrific. "Muchacho" and "Here's To Taking It Easy" are killer LPs. He's also great in concert

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I miss you Ms. James

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I miss you Ms. James

Me too. Saw her live during a blues revue with BB King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Junior Walker & The All-Stars and a few others I can't recall at the moment. Steve will remember the venue...The Molson Amphitheatre at Ontario Place.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You're a lucky man John. I wish I could catch a show with even one of those talents someday.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You're a lucky man John. I wish I could catch a show with even one of those talents someday.

The prize for me was John Lee Hooker. I'd been such a fan for so long I couldn't believe he was actually going to be in town. My ex used to say that JLH had the sexiest voice.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In 1987 a quirky little indie film almost won an Oscar for this song. It's been covered by many greats including the GREAT Ms. James. A little shocking how a young girl from eastern Europe just kicked 'em all to the curb with this performance. I guess it was that one magic moment, one she couldn't recreate in the finals. Calling You from the film Bagdad Cafe. Enjoy.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Prayers for your speedy recovery Mr. Sakamoto.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I always loved "For All We Know". Written as far back as 1934, the year my parents were born, it is a song that has been covered by many of the greats and many more "not great at alls". This to me is one of the most poignant of the interpretations I have had the pleasure of listening to. Too bad it comes in an album full of corny covers but this track makes up for it. Wish we all could have heard more from Donny. Another that we lost too soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing