Telefunken vs EAT / 6922 / CJ ET5 pre

p59teitel

Mar 11, 2015
Definitely call, you've been much more patient waiting for an email response than I would have been.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Lloyd
I ordered a pair of Telefunken Ccas from Brent Jesse. Expensive, yes, but they come with an extended 2 year warranty at an extra USD 249. Brent is superb to deal with. I had a problem with one of his NOS 12AX7 and he replaced it though the 30 day warranty period was over.
Pradeep

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi...sadly, just to let you know, it has now been since March that i called, got the RA number...and so far have received nothing in the mail, no emails, no communications, nothing. No responses after 4 emails...just sent a fifth. Will try to call again this week. Disappointing for a company with such an otherwise great reputation.

That is no good Lloyd. Have you called them again?

Touch wood - luckily mine are still working perfectly in the GAT.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just spoke with Kevin...he is fedex'ing. Fingers crossed! Very helpful.

p59teitel

Mar 11, 2015
Glad you are finally on the way to a resolution! Even in this day and age, some companies just don't "deal" well with email and with them, telephone communication works best (although an email conforming what was spoken about is always a good idea too!).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Glad you are finally on the way to a resolution! Even in this day and age, some companies just don't "deal" well with email and with them, telephone communication works best (although an email conforming what was spoken about is always a good idea too!).

Thanks. Sadly, no Fedex arrived, so i have to go back and call again...

p59teitel

Mar 11, 2015

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Lloyd
I have had the Telefunken Cca pair in the GAT for close to 2 weeks and the results are most impressive. Not a huge difference but a tad more clarity and definition vis a vis the Amprex PQ 7308s. Strongly recommended for any GAT owner
Pradeep

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...replacement Tele E88CC has arrived via Fedex!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Maybe he went to confession.

Only took 6 or so months. :eek:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe he went to confession.

Only took 6 or so months. :eek:

To be fair, he blew up when he found out no one had sent it...and then Jill was super-on-top-of-this...and emailed 2x a day til it was sent and arrived.

cedreige

Jan 8, 2016
Germany
Hello ,
here is a good history about the ECC88/E88CC/CCa family , sorry , but only in german language :

http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren-Geschichtliches/ECC88-Familie/ECC88-Familie.htm

Many of the pictures are from my tubes , which I send to my friend Jogi .
Have you ever seen PCC88 with "pinched waist" ;) :

pcc88.jpg

The PCC88 is the 7 volt version of the ECC88 and has the very rare D-getter ring like the yellow Valvo CCa , also with pinched waist .
Kind regards , Alexander .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Along the line of which brand of tube sounds better, I had an interesting experience this week in the shop with a customer and a Pilot amplifier. He had some Telefunken and some GE 12AX7s and we were troubleshooting a noise problem (which I eventually isolated to a failing carbon resistor by using localized heat sources to isolate the trouble) when he asked to try some different tubes, thinking the tube might be noisy.
To my surprise, the distortion measurement was more than double for the Telefunken tube vs the GE tube. As such, he decided to keep the GE tube in the amp and sell the Telefunkens.
This is not the first time I have heard that the European tubes sound less good than some of the US NOS tubes. I have another customer who is a McIntosh fanatic. He too did some 'tube rolling' and he is selling off his Telefunken tubes in favor of a bunch of blue top 12AX7s that he got from military surplus.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I got a couple of weeks ago, from Brent Jesse, the NOS Cca Telefunken diamond mark, made in Germany, gold pins, replacing an EAT ECC88 on my CJ ET5 Preamp.

Love it !

This is the third EAT tube I have to replace, maybe is not a long life tube?

Roch

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I got a couple of weeks ago, from Brent Jesse, the NOS Cca Telefunken diamond mark, made in Germany, gold pins, replacing an EAT ECC88 on my CJ ET5 Preamp.

Love it !

This is the third EAT tube I have to replace, maybe is not a long life tube?

Roch
+1
I bought a pair of Telefunken Ccas from Brent over a year back incl the 2 year warranty, for my GJ GAT. Completely agree superb match for the CJ plus excellent service

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing