Telefunken vs EAT / 6922 / CJ ET5 pre

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi...i am thinking of trying Upscale Audio's Telefunkens for my CJ GAT....but (suprisingly as Upscale noted) they never last long in my CJ before going noisy. Any thoughts on Telefunkens (if you've compared to these) is much appreciated!!! Have they continued to stay quiet in your ET5? Thanks!!! Presume you went platinum grade Upscale Audio E88CC goldpin? Thanks for any guidance!!

Hi LL. Dude here.

After some 5 months of use, the Tele still sounds great. Very small, minor tube noise that you can hear if you stick your ear within two inches or so of the tweeter pod on my MBL's. Totally non consequential as of this date.

FWIW, the EAT's (I had two) got quite noisy in one channel after some three months.

Hope that helps.

Has the Upscale owner mellowed out yet? :cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL. Dude here.

After some 5 months of use, the Tele still sounds great. Very small, minor tube noise that you can hear if you stick your ear within two inches or so of the tweeter pod on my MBL's. Totally non consequential as of this date.

FWIW, the EAT's (I had two) got quite noisy in one channel after some three months.

Hope that helps.

Has the Upscale owner mellowed out yet? :cool:

Great stuff!!! Thanks...never got a chance to speak with Kevin. Fingers crossed! Expecting they should ship sometime later this week.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So they arrived!! My initial thoughts on Telefunken E88CC from Upscale:

1. Tele E88CC: They are wonderful and deserve their excellent reputation.

2. Amperex 6922 PQ US White Label: I found the Amperexes (heretofore) my favorite for nuanced, delicate intonations on piano keyboards...but certainly got noisy from being in the CJ GAT for more than 6 months. Their more delicate balance allowed for more subtleties to be revealed than with 3, 4 or 5 below.

3. Sovtek 6922: rough, like cheap vodka. Nyet.

4. JAN Phillips: For the money, no finer....similar DNA to the Amperex, but unfortunately incredibly microphonic. Spoke with a dealer and manufacturer...both agreed about the microphony. FAR better with EAT tube dampers, but other than the fact that they're 1/10th the price of the first 2, i still could not do it. But they are truly musical and worth it if i could find quieter ones.

5. Mullard CV2493: On their own, not at all the honey'd, grey flannel sound that often comes with the Mullard reputation. Muscular, powerful...and HARD somewhat unforgiving. Hard piano strikes are merciless and flat. Put on an EAT tube damper, and somehow, this hardness disappeared...still powerful, even more linear sounding than before, but somehow the strong signal comes through straighter, cleaner without some kind of over-hyped hardness. Dont ask me to explain...i found them very very good after EAT tube dampers.

Compared with Amperex, more powerful mids, less nuanced, a bit stiffer, and less detailed but more propulsive bass energy. And much, much quieter (very little hiss at 3 feet after a few months...none when brand new)

Dealer struggled to find quiet ones, but when he did find them, they lasted at least 12-18 months.

6. Back to Teles: Relative to the above, the Telefunkens are as quiet as the Mullards (so far)...hopefully they are at least as robust. They seem more detailed, nuanced like the Amperexes but with a much more straight-up delivery (which i prefer in many cases) than the Amperex which perhaps might almost 'lilt' a bit too much from time to time.

The BASS is FAR more articulate than the Mullard...entire note sections from complex deep house electronic are far better delineated and in a couple cases, a bass line or 2 are revealed anew. How nice!

And the bass is far more propsulsive than the Amperex.

The ONLY area where i still prefer the Mullard is on piano keys in the upper midrange above Middle C...i think Mullard might artificially push the mid forward just a teeny tiny bit...but that helps recreate the illusion of the keyboard strike which i am used to after studying piano for 12 years. Bear in mind, i have tirelessly tuned my system to my ear...every cable, every piece of isolation (well over 50-60 pieces of isolation).

Fortunately, this Middle C attack with the Telefunkens is a bit lite by maybe '3%'...enough to notice, but not enough to stop enjoying...particularly with loads more improvements in the bass and generally a much cleaner attack in the treble.

Winner: Telefunken. Will see over the next day or so what happens to piano strike above Middle C.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Excellent Lloyd.

the telefunken's will get even better after 50 hours.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Agree. The comparison between the Tele and the EAT is interesting.

Kind of like choosing between two very good tasting ice cream products or top of the line teramasu. My favorite desert.

Noise in my Tele, using the ET5, is still very low and a non issue. Hope it stays.

Glad you are happy Lloyd.

Best.

PS: I assume you were told that there is no warranty using the CJ pre.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Kind of like choosing between two very good tasting ice cream products or top of the line teramasu. My favorite desert.

Noise in my Tele, using the ET5, is still very low and a non issue. Hope it stays.

Best.

Thanks for that...i did not know about CJ pre warranty...in fact, i have spoken with Ed at CJ years ago before about tube rolling in the CJ GAT, and he did not seem bothered by it and thought good quality NOS ought to be great.

Will continue to update as i hear more albums with it, and also see if it changes...i find they do (perhaps lack of use for years, or shipping...Brent Jessee said sometimes pops will occur if teeny bits of filament do something or other...but after 50-100 hours or so, should be all settled as XV-1 says...

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If you ordered through Ken at Ultimate, ask him about this.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you ordered through Ken at Ultimate, ask him about this.

Funny, i emailed that in the original order because they wanted to know what component i was using with the Tele E88CCs.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
No comment. Maybe the GAT wasn't an issue "in his mind" at the time he processed the order. Or maybe he wasn't involved.

I'll leave out the gory details regarding my encounter when I called him post purchase regarding a small noise I was hearing. Suffice to say it wasn't a pleasant conversation. :mad:

Good luck and if your tubes are good for 6 months, a non issue.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No comment. Maybe the GAT wasn't an issue "in his mind" at the time he processed the order. Or maybe he wasn't involved.

I'll leave out the gory details regarding my encounter when I called him post purchase regarding a small noise I was hearing. Suffice to say it wasn't a pleasant conversation. :mad:

Good luck and if your tubes are good for 6 months, a non issue.

I saw your earlier version of this post...on my berry...;) Suffice to say, i can see why you were less than pleased. I did actually put it all in writing as part of the order including all the other components, the fact that i've got insane gain...and forunately have sound some very quiet Mullards and was hoping these would be at least as quiet and stand up to the GAT which seemed to be quite hard on the EH, Amperexes...

...in any event, so far so good...and will try to remember to post in 6-12 months. Meanwhile, enjoying...thanks for the advice.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
25 hours in...the system presents soundstage layering and instrument layering in a more solidified fashion with greater front to back layering than the Mullards which relatively speaking would group a band within 7-8 feet...and now it feels like the band members have spread out a bit better into more like 12 feet...and the players dont seem to be quite next to each other when the jamming gets loud (and probably distortion is a bit higher).

Additionally, i find the upper bass continues to improve in detail dramatically, along with the very lower bass registers. this is surely the biggest improvement over the mullards which delivered power and oomf but not always with the detail that matched elsewhere in the spectrum.

In general, i see why (having compared my listening notes now to those of others) others say it feels very very detailed, clear across the entire spectrum in a very consistent manner...By comparison the Mullard was greater in crude power in the bass and a beautiful mid with a teeny 'bump' in the mids which was not unwelcome in many instances

...but now the system seems far more self-assured across the entire spectrum and with the wider soundstaging (again 7-8 feet for bands vs now more like 12 and players more individual spaced side to side and front to back), the system also has greater composure with more powerful or larger scale works...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Lloyd

they won't leave your system:D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Best.

Are you talking about Upscale audio?

As Lloyd detailed, they ask what your piece of equipment is and advise you whether you need to go stay Gold or go Platinum grade.

I have claimed warranty when used with my cj pre amp, only PITA is paying postage on the replacment tube.

The tele's have not failed thou.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

As Lloyd detailed, they ask what your piece of equipment is and advise you whether you need to go stay Gold or go Platinum grade.

I have claimed warranty when used with my cj pre amp, only PITA is paying postage on the replacment tube.

I went platinum cryo just to have some fun. As XV1 says, they did ask for the specific component to be used. I also used the Comments section to specificy that the CJ GAT seemed to eat thru my EH and Amperex tubes in about 6 months or so...and so far only the Mullard CV2493 was able to withstand it for more than 12 months. So i was hoping these would stay quiet a lot longer.

Thanks for the health warning in any event...at the end of the day, lets hope they just stay quiet and then all good! Back to listening for now!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Will send PM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing