Telefunken vs EAT / 6922 / CJ ET5 pre

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Installed the 6922 (platinum) obtained from Upscale Audio in my ET5 last Saturday.

Have used the EAT version for the last eight months.

Initial impressions are quite positive.

Even though both tubes have a similar sonic signature (dynamic range, speed, dimensionality), the Telefunken seems to be more neutral, balanced, and liquid tonally.

Will share future thoughts in the near future.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
If you mean the Telefunken E88CC gold pin, I am using the same tube in my ARC SP14 phono stage and I agree that it is a winner. I usually use Amperex or Siemen 6922 in this spot, but the Tele has been an eye opener, very liquid sounding and darker than the others, very quite. Kevin's price is very reasonable grab some soon!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
That's the one. It's definitely a tad "darker" than the EAT in my system.

Nonetheless, it's one sweet sounding / musically engaging tube.

Bill Stevenson

Aug 12, 2014
This is a timely thread. I have just received a new ET5, not even hooked up yet. Amp is new too, an ARTsa, arrived, but also not hooked up. Do I want to roll tubes right away or wait a bit until after break in? Excited about this, but traveling for business all week, so it will be a few days before this new gear gets warmed up.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This is a timely thread. I have just received a new ET5, not even hooked up yet. Amp is new too, an ARTsa, arrived, but also not hooked up. Do I want to roll tubes right away or wait a bit until after break in? Excited about this, but traveling for business all week, so it will be a few days before this new gear gets warmed up.

Congrats...great stuff...look forward to reading your thoughts if you get a chance...what are your speakers and source?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Upscale Audio...don't they have varying levels of Telefunkens? What do people recommend? Are their 'best' class of Telefunkens worthwhile/necessary for a CJ GAT?

Bill Stevenson

Aug 12, 2014
Speakers are Sony SS-AR2. Primary source is a Sony HAP-Z1ES. I will not get a chance to play with my new toys before the weekend.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Speakers are Sony SS-AR2. Primary source is a Sony HAP-Z1ES. I will not get a chance to play with my new toys before the weekend.

...72 hours never felt so long!

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA

I would listen to the unit stock for a few weeks to get an idea of how it sounds that way before I rolled the tubes. What are the small signal tubes for the amp and preamp? All 6922?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Bill,

We are all happy for you. So exciting getting new gear, especially Conrad Johnson. Have fun!

Bill Stevenson

Aug 12, 2014
Mendel,

Tube complement is: ET5 (1) 6922 and a MOSFET buffer. ARTsa (1) 6189; (2) 6N30P; and (8) KT120. I will follow your advice as I know that break in will take several hundred hours with all the Teflon caps anyway. It makes no sense to do anything until after break in.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Exactly what I did. Let the stock tube take the 400 hours or so of burn in.

I would suggest you try both the EAT (available through Music Direct) and the Telefunken ECC 88's gold pin - platinum grade (available through Upscale Audio). Similarities but some definite differences. You may prefer one over the other depending on your system. Both are excellent in their own ways.

I would also recommend you also try the EAT tube damper also available from Music Direct.

The joys of audio. :)

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Installed the 6922 (platinum) obtained from Upscale Audio in my ET5 last Saturday.

Have used the EAT version for the last eight months.

Initial impressions are quite positive.

Even though both tubes have a similar sonic signature (dynamic range, speed, dimensionality), the Telefunken seems to be more neutral, balanced, and liquid tonally.

Will share future thoughts in the near future.

If you mean the Telefunken E88CC gold pin, I am using the same tube in my ARC SP14 phono stage and I agree that it is a winner. I usually use Amperex or Siemen 6922 in this spot, but the Tele has been an eye opener, very liquid sounding and darker than the others, very quite. Kevin's price is very reasonable grab some soon!

Hi...i am thinking of trying Upscale Audio's Telefunkens for my CJ GAT. I have used Amperex 6922s to great effect, but (suprisingly as Upscale noted) they never last long in my CJ before going noisy. I have thus switched to Mullard CV2493 which are quite 'hard sounding' in my GAT but super-quiet...fortunately with an EAT tube damper somehow i much prefer it and am 'satisfied'.

however, i do miss the wonderful nuances from the Amperex...i really felt musical cues and intonations were more nuanced with greater revelation of subtle changes in fingering, pressure on keyboard, etc with the Amperex. I get greater power with Mullards but seem to lose those subtleties...my two cents...

Any thoughts on Telefunkens (if you've compared to these) is much appreciated!!! Have they continued to stay quiet in your ET5? Thanks!!! Presume you went platinum grade Upscale Audio E88CC goldpin? Thanks for any guidance!!

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi...i am thinking of trying Upscale Audio's Telefunkens for my CJ GAT. I have used Amperex 6922s to great effect, but (suprisingly as Upscale noted) they never last long in my CJ before going noisy. I have thus switched to Mullard CV2493 which are quite 'hard sounding' in my GAT but super-quiet...fortunately with an EAT tube damper somehow i much prefer it and am 'satisfied'.

however, i do miss the wonderful nuances from the Amperex...i really felt musical cues and intonations were more nuanced with greater revelation of subtle changes in fingering, pressure on keyboard, etc with the Amperex. I get greater power with Mullards but seem to lose those subtleties...my two cents...

Any thoughts on Telefunkens (if you've compared to these) is much appreciated!!! Have they continued to stay quiet in your ET5? Thanks!!! Presume you went platinum grade Upscale Audio E88CC goldpin? Thanks for any guidance!!

I have always had great results with Telefunken Lloyd, I think you can't go wrong.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have always had great results with Telefunken Lloyd, I think you can't go wrong.

Ordered!! Thanks! XV-1 and Myles both use Telefunken E88CC with their CJ GATs as well...so quite a good proxy. Will post!!! Very exciting.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I love the Telefunken's

Been 8 months - touch wood and the tubes have no gone noisy like the EH's.

They sound superb!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I love the Telefunken's

Been 8 months - touch wood and the tubes have no gone noisy like the EH's.

They sound superb!

thanks for the advice! will post when they arrive!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Guys,

So i have been checking on my Upscale Audio Order...and the status shows 'Awaiting Payment'...even though i did put in cc details. Is this normal...simply because it was the weekend when i ordered? Just curious if anyone has any experience. I have already emailed Upscale and asked...awaiting reply. Thanks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Guys,

So i have been checking on my Upscale Audio Order...and the status shows 'Awaiting Payment'...even though i did put in cc details. Is this normal...simply because it was the weekend when i ordered? Just curious if anyone has any experience. I have already emailed Upscale and asked...awaiting reply. Thanks.

Lloyd

They have one guy that does international orders. He probably does not work weekends:rolleyes:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd

They have one guy that does international orders. He probably does not work weekends:rolleyes:

XV-1 to the rescue...thanks. I will wait til tomorrow and check in again with Upscale. Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing