Boardwalk Empire Season 5: Trailer #1 (HBO)

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
What an exiting third episode index.jpg
Had trouble staying awake, Boringtalk Empire would have been a better name for this season...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
As a whole this season has been very disappointing. Maybe 10 minutes to interest you in each of the first three episodes. Some long drawn out scenes that go nowhere. They need to get moving soon. Unlike the first four seasons where there were 12 episodes each year this final season we are only getting 8.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Finally, an episode worth watching! Hope that Nucky keeps his promise and goes after his assailants with the help of Chalky so we get more of this.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Every season does this to some extent. Some background gets shown. Nucky gets in trouble. The other guys seem to gain a real edge. Nucky backed into a corner. Nucky has something up his sleeve that nobody expected. Next season, year + later.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I must admit however that despite its shortcomings in the last season and an abbreviated final season I still like the series and will follow it through til its end

You guys must want to see how Nucky meets his final ending

Steve Williams

I've been quiet on this series for a few weeks now but having seen the last two episodes I love it. The way they are telling the prequel to this whole story is so well done as it fades from present to past.

The kid who they got to play Nucky when he was an assistant sheriff is such a dead ringer for Steve Buscemi that I had to keep looking to be certain it wasn't him with a lot of makeup

Finally I have been liking the way all of the interspersed stories are now falling into place for that one final battle between Nucky and Luciano. And if you are counting 5 of the regulars are either dead or were granted a reprieve (Eli)

All in all I have really enjoyed this seies

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
They are starting to kill off the secondary actors now. I wonder who, if anyone, will be left standing at the end from Nucky-land.

Steve Williams

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

There was a post that might have been deleted but here is the answer.

Some asked who was that kid? That was Tommy Darmody, Jimmy Darmody's son. Also Grandson of the Commodore and Gillian Darmody.

I liked how they tied up the show. The actors who played young Nucky and Gillian did a great job of mimicking their speech patterns. Not many loose ends left on this one.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
That post was from me, deleted it because I read the Tommy story somewhere else almost straight after I posted here...
Was not even up for a minute or so ;)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
That post was from me, deleted it because I read the Tommy story somewhere else almost straight after I posted here...
Was not even up for a minute or so ;)

I wondered what happened to the post . I received a e-mail that a response was posted to this thread but couldn't find it when I looked. That is why I posted spoiler alert at the top just in case that is why it was gone.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I was really hoping Nucky just moved to NY and settled there with his wife and became one of the initial investors in TV technology. But I guess this show is/was all about what comes around ...

I guess you can only get lucky so many times.

Steve Williams

I thought the ending was superb. Weeks ago when that kid starting showing up in every episode for no real reason I felt he was the one who was going to kill Nucky but who he was was was simply brilliant screen writing. Let's face it guys it's called Retribution.

I thought the intermingling of the past with the present this final season was likewise brilliant writing. It really tied the entire story together and the ending was expected. It was just a matter of when and by whom.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I really wanted to like it but with only the three last episodes worth watching I wouldn't call it brilliant. I like slow paced series but the first episodes were going nowhere and if you think about it, the whole story with his father, Jimmy, Gillian and the commodore was already told in the previous seasons.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
This whole shore season was all about "wrapping it up".

- Nucky's backstory recap, in more detail than previous seasons portrayed
- Handing it all over to the new cartel and finally getting out of it
- reconciling with his wife
- Capone's demise
- killing off some of the other characters who deserved to get theirs
- reconciling with his brother
- justifying the true ending in such a way that the audience didn't need to remember back 2 seasons and ask "who was that" and "why"

Steve Williams

This whole shore season was all about "wrapping it up".

- Nucky's backstory recap, in more detail than previous seasons portrayed
- Handing it all over to the new cartel and finally getting out of it
- reconciling with his wife
- Capone's demise
- killing off some of the other characters who deserved to get theirs
- reconciling with his brother
- justifying the true ending in such a way that the audience didn't need to remember back 2 seasons and ask "who was that" and "why"

I agree. It was slower moving than the other 4 seasons but for my mind the flashbacks to young Enoch and Gillian and all the others for me brought the series to a conclusion that for me, yes, I thought who the kid was that killed Nucky was brilliant writing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing