What amplification are you using with your Wilson speakers ?

Chrisfrombyron

Sep 7, 2014
Avoca Beach , Australia
Chris

I noticed your speakers are still on rollers. Have you spiked them yet? Make sure you use the round plugs for the spikes to fit into when you do or alternatively think of Stillpoints which many of we Wilson owners use

Hi Steve , when I am totally happy with the positioning of my speakers I will definitely be retiring those wheels !!
I have some rubber/titanium feet for the spikes that I purchased from Herbie's Audio Lab , the advantage of them , being a hard rubber composite with a smooth finish underneath is that they still allow for micro adjustments of the speaker position , something the stock plugs , stillpoints etc don't allow . Regards .

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I´m using Pass Labs XA100.5 on my Sasha I and i dont miss the slighest control in the lower region.

I dont know the LS27 but i have owned the LS17 and LS26 (not on Wilson). Bouth for me not the best in reproducing good controlled dynamic bass.

SAMMAN

Apr 29, 2014
Melbourne Australia
Hi

Does anyone use Vitus amplification with their Wilson speakers?

I have a pair of Alexia's and am looking at solid state Amps to compliment the Thrax Heros and a specially made Cymer Southern Star KT 120's I'm currently using.

Regards
Sam

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi

I have a pair of Alexia's and am looking at solid state Amps to compliment the Thrax Heros and a specially made Cymer Southern Star KT 120's I'm currently using.

Regards
Sam

Hi Sam,

I am sure someone does, but until then i know the distributor here very well. I also own and run Gryphon (also Class A SS from Denmark), and i absolutely love the combination. I used to run a mid-powered 60 watt CJ with my earlier SF Strads which sounded great with them. I then went with Gryphon Antileon and the SF Strads greatly improved in transparency, detail, stability of complex passages...and REALLY changed for the better in the bass which became more propulsive, tighter, far more detailed and deeper.

I then upgraded to Colosseum and Wilson X1s when the opportunity came around with each of them being 2nd hand...so i have never run my Wilsons with anything else...but instinctively having heard the Wilsons in my local dealers for 10 years in the same room with Constellation, ARC, D'Agostino, Boulder, and a few others, all i can say is nothing has tempted to go elsewhere.

Hopefully someone with experience of Vitus & Wilson can weigh in here. Good luck. I do think they should be an excellent pairing.

SAMMAN

Apr 29, 2014
Melbourne Australia
Hi Sam,

I am sure someone does, but until then i know the distributor here very well. I also own and run Gryphon (also Class A SS from Denmark), and i absolutely love the combination. I used to run a mid-powered 60 watt CJ with my earlier SF Strads which sounded great with them. I then went with Gryphon Antileon and the SF Strads greatly improved in transparency, detail, stability of complex passages...and REALLY changed for the better in the bass which became more propulsive, tighter, far more detailed and deeper.

I then upgraded to Colosseum and Wilson X1s when the opportunity came around with each of them being 2nd hand...so i have never run my Wilsons with anything else...but instinctively having heard the Wilsons in my local dealers for 10 years in the same room with Constellation, ARC, D'Agostino, Boulder, and a few others, all i can say is nothing has tempted to go elsewhere.

Hopefully someone with experience of Vitus & Wilson can weigh in here. Good luck. I do think they should be an excellent pairing.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Gryphon amplification, it's certainly worth considering..

Much appreciated
Sam

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Gryphon amplification, it's certainly worth considering..

Much appreciated
Sam

Hi Sam,

Good luck. I hope i did not come across as trying to push Gryphon (particularly since you were inquiring about Vitus)...as much as i was just using my own experience with Gryphon as a positive proxy for what Vitus and Wilson might do together. I am told Gryphon shares many qualities with Vitus, and thus I hope my own very positive experience with a powerful Class AA amp (similar to Vitus) and Wilson are helpful to you.

In fact, i have a friend who used to own Colosseum monos (and Wavac 833 Mk IIs)...and eventually changed both in for Vitus Masterpiece Reference monos.

I believe that the Alexias have some particular loading/impedance points along the sound spectrum (you'll find them in various reviews/articles no doubt) where a very high current, high quality amp will be able to manage those exceptionally well.

For my own particular musical tastes (which are both classical ensembles, jazz...but also blues, large scale choral, Hans Zimmer soundtracks...and then deep house, electronica...)...the ability to drive the big Wilsons (which frankly dont need a lot of watts per se) effortlessly makes life a lot of fun.

I also like the fact that since i really enjoy my Gryphon...its ability to drive just about anything gives me long-term optionality in terms of speakers. The more i get to know my big Wilsons, the more l am likely to keep them long-term...but i have always liked the mighty Arrakis which is a beast of a speaker that (unlike the Wilson) will not fare as well on high-quality SETs. and by having an amp like the Gryphon, i am able to consider the Arrakis, the Kharma, the big Magicos and not have to worry about amps.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Hi

I currently use the Devialet 800 dual mono amps with my Sasha 2s, with SAM profile activated. In my opinion a fantastic combination: transparency and grip/power are out of this world.

On the subject of Vitus I was very fortunate to get an extended home demo recently of the SIA-025 and MPD-201 DAC. Despite having only 25W of class A the Vitus amp had absolutely no trouble driving the Sashas. Lovely dense soundstage and supremely musical, I really enjoyed the Vitus combo! In the end however I was happy to go back to my Devialet setup.

Guillaume

renatoab

Jul 8, 2013
I use the E-560 Accuphase Integrated Amplifier with my Sasha first series. I´m very happy with the results. I´m also owner of a Krell 707 evolution processor. A dealer offered me the D'agostino momentum power amplifier to use with 707 evolution as stereo preamplifier. He said this combination would give me better results than E-560. Any thoughts?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I use the E-560 Accuphase Integrated Amplifier with my Sasha first series. I´m very happy with the results. I´m also owner of a Krell 707 evolution processor. A dealer offered me the D'agostino momentum power amplifier to use with 707 evolution as stereo preamplifier. He said this combination would give me better results than E-560. Any thoughts?

i have not heard accuphase enough to offer more than a few cursory thoughts:

1. You MIGHT find the Momentum provides more filigreed highs and a more effortless musical detail
2. You MIGHT find the Momentum provides even more power, allowing the Sashas to breathe more easily and scale up/down dynamically better

I have not heard the Evo 707, but i have heard the Momentum pre, and from an initial listening session was very impressed. Good luck.

SAMMAN

Apr 29, 2014
Melbourne Australia

Much appreciated
Sam

I was fortunate to get the chance to listen to the Gryphon Colosseum driving a pair of Alexias at the showroom of the Australian Importer in Sydney last Sunday.

I was impressed by the control and musicality of the Gryphon Setup.

The amp was new with only a few hours of play, even so it did make a lasting impression on me...it definitely is in contention to become my new reference amplification...:)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was fortunate to get the chance to listen to the Gryphon Coloseum driving a pair of Alexias at the showroom of the Australian Importer in Sydney last Sunday.

The amp was new with only a few hours of play, even so it did make a lasting impression on me...it definitely in contention to become my new reference amplification...:)

Great news!! Let those of us who are familiar with Gryphon know if you have any questions. Good luck...

Chrisfrombyron

Sep 7, 2014
Avoca Beach , Australia
I have heard Sashas with the Gryphon Integrated amp and the combo was very good .
The Gryphon seemed to exhibit better bottom end control than the ARC REf 150 but as I was unfamiliar with other components
in the system I can't state this categorically .

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
AudiaFlight No4 / Jeff Rowland combo (with sasha1, sophia3). I've heard d'agostino, arc, pass, devialet 200 etc. but in terms of effortless precision musicality AudiaFlight/Jeff Rowland wins over those. I thought Devialet was the (bang for the buck) way to go but then I realized that SAM is only good for "cheaper" speakers or monitors to make them better and if the speaker is already very good then the gains are negligible

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was fortunate to get the chance to listen to the Gryphon Colosseum driving a pair of Alexias at the showroom of the Australian Importer in Sydney last Sunday.

The amp was new with only a few hours of play, even so it did make a lasting impression on me...it definitely is in contention to become my new reference amplification...:)

Hi Samman, any update on your search for your new reference amplification?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard Sashas with the Gryphon Integrated amp and the combo was very good .
The Gryphon seemed to exhibit better bottom end control than the ARC REf 150 but as I was unfamiliar with other components
in the system I can't state this categorically .

Interesting. Intuitively, that would not surprise me...I have heard the Ref 150 briefly and owned Gryphons for a number of years but not heard the Diablo. Still, a hallmark of Gryphon is their bottom end grip.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
AudiaFlight No4 / Jeff Rowland combo (with sasha1, sophia3). I've heard d'agostino, arc, pass, devialet 200 etc. but in terms of effortless precision musicality AudiaFlight/Jeff Rowland wins over those. I thought Devialet was the (bang for the buck) way to go but then I realized that SAM is only good for "cheaper" speakers or monitors to make them better and if the speaker is already very good then the gains are negligible

Hi there I'm obviously biassed here since I own a Devialet 800... however just wanted to interject on the subject of SAM. I'm on my second pair of Wilsons now, a pair of Sasha 2s. Previously I had the Sophia 3s. In both cases SAM has enhanced my listening experience, perhaps more so with the Sophias than my Sashas, but I would rather have it now than not if that makes sense! The added grip and control of the lower end is phenomenal, according to Devialet's measurements SAM extends the bass from 26,4hz to 13,2hz, OK not quite as dramatic as the stated improvement in many of the smaller speakers but then again that additional bass doesn't taper off as you turn up the volume. I was listening to some really dirty deep techno last night (Seth Troller DJ mix) and don't think I've ever heard that kind of bass in my listening room before. Perfectly controlled and layered but with such impact you feel it in the chest. I felt like a real bass head! :p

With other musical genres SAM seems to change the overall presentation, almost giving a deeper/bigger soundstage. Apart from extending the lower frequencies SAM it seems to give more detail and a more coherent overall picture. Highly recommended anyway.

Guillaume

Last edited:

SAMMAN

Apr 29, 2014
Melbourne Australia
Hi Samman, any update on your search for your new reference amplification?

Latest amps auditioned over the last month included, AVM OVATION MA8.2, and a couple of local Australian manufactures SGR AUDIO EL Mk 2 600w mono amplifier and the Elektra Audio Reference HD stereo amp...I was blown away with the control and musicality of the Aussie amps....with the Elektra the over all winner for no other reason, other than it retails for a quarter of the price of the other two amps..
I was slightly disappointed in the AVM, beautifully made but lacking the finesse and control of the other amps. ...more a bloated kind of sound...
The search continues, I'm hoping to be able to audition a pair of Vitus SM102 monos in the next few weeks..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing