What amplification are you using with your Wilson speakers ?

NOA

Sep 1, 2016
Munich
I have a pair of Wilson MAXX 3 and run them with an Absolare Signature Integrated.
Best sound so far, former amps I had used are:

- Cello Performance II monoblocs (beautiful musical sounding amps with astonishing transients and melt, but they went old and faulty, unfortunately...)
- ML 532 monoblocs (for some weeks only and no contest really, just kind of controlled sound and no 3D far as I remember)
- Spectral DMA 360 series 2 monoblocs

Bottom line the Absolare Signature Integrated beats them all.
Just kind of strange coming from monoblocs for a decade going 'back' to an integrated amp...

IMG_4800.JPG

Happy listening
NOA

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Any Wilson user with well constructed tube amps in the range of 50-100W, such as Zanden 9600 or other amps here?

NOA, do you still have the Absolare/MAXX3 system?

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Any Wilson user with well constructed tube amps in the range of 50-100W, such as Zanden 9600 or other amps here?

NOA, do you still have the Absolare/MAXX3 system?
I am running 2x mono Prima Luna Dialogue Premium HPs using HT150 tubes with great results.
They replaced ARC REF 210 monos and, IMO, sound better. Great build quality.
BTW, speakers are Wilson Grand Slamm X1v3

Axel C

Nov 30, 2022
NYC
I’ve been using Wilson Watt Puppy 7 with Pass XA25/XP22 as well as the First Watt SIT3 and Pass X350.8. Digital via Denefrips Terminator Plus (streaming thru a Bluesound Node 2i; analog via a Linn LP12 Klimax (Exstatik cart.) and assortment of Audioquest & Linn interconnects/power cords, and Transparent Ultra speaker cables. Room is 22’ x 22’ with a A-frame ceiling (centered on axis) that peaks at 24’.

In a nutshell, the Wilson/Pass combo is superb and the speaker’s efficiency allows excellent performance from the 18-wpc SIT3, which is by quite a margin the most satisfying of the three amplifiers. Only limited by moderate volume levels via digital input (the LP12 has considerable more gain), 18 watts goes a long way and the warmth, detail, and transparency are top notch. At the other end, the 350.8’s only benefit is at elevated volume levels with rock/pop or anything where LOUD is an essential element of the experience. By comparison, it’s essentially unlistenable with jazz/vocals/insteumental music at moderate or lower volumes next to the SIT. The XA25 is the happy compromise, with adequate power for all but the most demanding all-out rock outs, while still very satisfying across all genres.

Despite being over 15 years old, the WP7 remains and extraordinary and competitive speaker for its size and an outstanding match with Pass/First Watt.

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
I always heard glorious sound when Wilsons were paired with Ypsilon Electronics amplification. My WP7 went to different level with the Aelius II mono blocks. The Integrated Phaethon Silver Edition was outstanding as well, saving some space.

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Currently, for the WP7, I am using Concert Fidelity electronics, with the mono blocks being 125W each. Excellent sound and can be found at bargain prices in the used market. I believe, but not tested yet, the Accuphase A-300 monos @ 120W will do an outstanding job and are worth listening. Actually, I am considering to replace the amps with the new Accuphase A-80 @ 60W/ch, Class A. I have been left speechless in my tests with other speakers that are not nearly as sensitive as the WP7. Best, Basile IMG_0957.jpg

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
As of tonight I’m driving my Alexx’s with a pair of VAC Statement 452iq’s and all I can say is WOW! They certainly have a firm grip on these speakers while being incredibly detailed with just a hint of tube sweetness in the midrange. The Bass is up there with the best with maybe the exception of a few of the very best solid state amps. The soundstage is huge with these amps in all directions while maintaining pinpoint focus of images. I’m sure the VAC Statement Preamp helps as well! No issues with these tubes driving Alexx at all.

George

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing