What amplification are you using with your Wilson speakers ?

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I am currently auditioning the Momentum monoblocks! Not bad,LOL

Updated, I ended with Theta Prometheus amplifiers.

Last edited:

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
I'm using an ARC Ref 5SE with Dan's stereo amp to drive my Alexias.

Several months ago I listened to ARC's GS150 with the REF 10 driving the XLFs, it was very impressive.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
pass labs xa 100.8

Does anybody have experience of Sasha driven by Pass Labs xa100.8.
I am considering Xa 100.8 rather than Xa 100.5 as I find lower mid /upper bass hump with Xa30.5.
I have read that .8 series is neutral.
However I like a little warmth in the sound.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Does anybody have experience of Sasha driven by Pass Labs xa100.8.
I am considering Xa 100.8 rather than Xa 100.5 as I find lower mid /upper bass hump with Xa30.5.
I have read that .8 series is neutral.
However I like a little warmth in the sound.

I used to have Pass XA 100.5's driving Sasha's . Bass was NOT good. I would imagine the 100.8s to be much better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm using an ARC Ref 5SE with Dan's stereo amp to drive my Alexias.

Several months ago I listened to ARC's GS150 with the REF 10 driving the XLFs, it was very impressive.

A friend has the Ref 6 and GS150s driving the Sashas. Great combination.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have an older VT-100 ARC amp that I upgraded to KT120s and puts out 130 watts per side. I may soon buy some Wilson Sabrinas to pair with it.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
i think i need more power than my Pas Labs XA 100.8 to drive my Sasha.
Devialet sounds thin in my room.
considering the fpllowing

Gryphon Diablo or Pass Labs Xa 160.8 ?

Diablo is class AB and 160.8 is class A.

has anybody compared these amplifiers?

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
new diablo is called diablo 300, which is significantly more brawny than the original diablo.
i'd suspect that the 160w class a pass xa160.8 monos would be brawnier still.
gryphon antileon evo would be better comparison.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
cj GAT driving cj teflon premier 8a's or DÁgostino momentum stereo depending on mood swings.

30303964914_7e30d4a166_h.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
That's a serious listening room - nice!

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I have both Devialet Original d'Atelier (900) and Absolare Integrated Signature, both work beautifully well with my Sasha 2s. They certainly like lots of power.

Guillaume

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Shane - is this the same room where you used to have your SF Strads? It looks very different! There was a carpet as i recall? Did you move or re-floor the room...either way, this place looks GREAT!

cj GAT driving cj teflon premier 8a's or DÁgostino momentum stereo depending on mood swings.

View attachment 29863

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
That's a serious listening room - nice!

Thanks Floyd

Shane - is this the same room where you used to have your SF Strads? It looks very different! There was a carpet as i recall? Did you move or re-floor the room...either way, this place looks GREAT!

Hi Lloyd. No, different room. This is the smaller lounge TV room. The larger room I used as the music room sounded like mud, no matter what I did with it. Out of desperation I begged my wife while she was away late last year if I could wheel the Maxx3's into the TV room, just to hear what it sounded like.

Blow me down if it did not sound better - quite a bit in fact. Much to the complaints of my kids, we swapped rooms. Except I still have all my vinyl in the other room. I am still going through discovery as far as tweaks in sound go.

Thankfully, I have an understanding wife.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Floyd

Hi Lloyd. No, different room. This is the smaller lounge TV room. The larger room I used as the music room sounded like mud, no matter what I did with it. Out of desperation I begged my wife while she was away late last year if I could wheel the Maxx3's into the TV room, just to hear what it sounded like.

Blow me down if it did not sound better - quite a bit in fact. Much to the complaints of my kids, we swapped rooms. Except I still have all my vinyl in the other room. I am still going through discovery as far as tweaks in sound go.

Thankfully, I have an understanding wife.

Wow...i laugh at how that sounds...just "wheeled the Maxx 3's into another room..." ("can you hand me that picture to hang up...oh and a Maxx 3 while you're at it...") Frankly, having just moved and spent 4 months getting the system finally in...and then set up, and then calibrated...whew...i REALLY dont want to have to do this again anytime soon!

Your room sure looks great though, and if it sounds as good as it looks, that's even better!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Since this thread has rekindled...Just following up with Chrisfrombyron and Samman since both were looking at amps for their Wilsons and (i think) neither ended up posting their conclusions here. Any update?

Hi there ,
I am on to my 3rd pair of Wilson speakers , initially I had Sophia 2's driven by Audio Research VM220 Monoblocs , the monoblocs exhibited vicegrip like control over the Sophia 2's . I then purchased Sophia 3's and an Audio Research Reference 150 , which was a very nice combo , recently I purchased Sasha series Ones however the Reference 150 appears to be struggling to drive the Sashas , especially in the area of bass control etc . Some friends are suggesting the Sashas can give excellent results when driven by the Gryphon Diablo integrated amp , even though this is less costly than the 150/LS27 combo . Can I ask what other Sasha owners are using and what their experience has been with various amps driving the Sashas ? I don't want to buy Ref 250 monoblocs as i can't afford them and in my old(er) age I'm starting to lean towards simplicity and a ' less is more ' mindset . I've always been an ARC kinda guy since my SP8 was purchased in the mid 1980's .....Thanks !

Hi
Does anyone use Vitus amplification with their Wilson speakers?
I have a pair of Alexia's and am looking at solid state Amps to compliment the Thrax Heros and a specially made Cymer Southern Star KT 120's I'm currently using.Regards
Sam

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
shane - you must have been on your hands and knees to get that room! :p
looks great.

thanks James. gotta get you over one day after school finishes and I can take a day off.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing