What amplification are you using with your Wilson speakers ?

Chrisfrombyron

Sep 7, 2014
Avoca Beach , Australia
Hi there ,
I am on to my 3rd pair of Wilson speakers , initially I had Sophia 2's driven by Audio Research VM220 Monoblocs , the monoblocs exhibited vicegrip like control over the Sophia 2's . I then purchased Sophia 3's and an Audio Research Reference 150 , which was a very nice combo , recently I purchased Sasha series Ones however the Reference 150 appears to be struggling to drive the Sashas , especially in the area of bass control etc . Some friends are suggesting the Sashas can give excellent results when driven by the Gryphon Diablo integrated amp , even though this is less costly than the 150/LS27 combo . Can I ask what other Sasha owners are using and what their experience has been with various amps driving the Sashas ? I don't want to buy Ref 250 monoblocs as i can't afford them and in my old(er) age I'm starting to lean towards simplicity and a ' less is more ' mindset . I've always been an ARC kinda guy since my SP8 was purchased in the mid 1980's .....Thanks !

Attachments

• IMAG1331.jpg
    IMAG1331.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 5,518

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I know several of us that use Pass Labs and are happy with that combo. I've used Pass with 3 sets of Wilsons.

Reactions: F208Frank

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi there ,
I am on to my 3rd pair of Wilson speakers...Sasha series Ones however the Reference 150 appears to be struggling to drive the Sashas , especially in the area of bass control etc . Some friends are suggesting the Sashas can give excellent results when driven by the Gryphon Diablo integrated amp , even though this is less costly than the 150/LS27 combo...Thanks !

Interesting feedback...I run a Gryphon Colosseum with my X1s and have no desire to look elsewhere. Can you audition a Diablo? I have heard excellent things about it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Gryphon and Wilson has proven synergy. I've been driving the Duette 2 partnered with Gryphon Diablo with great results recently. I also have a client with Colosseum + Sasha (1).

Good to know!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
D'Agostino Momentum Monoblocks - Very happy with the sound.

Chrisfrombyron

Sep 7, 2014
Avoca Beach , Australia
Thanks everybody for the responses .....

I was hoping for some feedback from anyone has has been using either an ARC REF 150 or a Gryphon Diablo with the Sashas .

Would like to see what other people's experiences have been .

Regards and thanks again ....

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I was hoping for some feedback from anyone has has been using either an ARC REF 150 or a Gryphon Diablo with the Sashas .

Would like to see what other people's experiences have been .

Regards and thanks again ....

Hi. I drive my Alexia with ARC Ref 210s that were factory modified to accept the KT120 tubes; same as in your Ref150. I have heard the REF150 drive Sasha, Sasha-2, and Alexia several times at my dealer's location. It is true that the Sasha presents a difficult load for an amplifier. The impedance of the speaker drops just under 2 OHMS in the low bass frequency region if I remember correctly. I have always run my REF210s off of the 4 OHM tap at the output and know that my dealer recommends this as well when driving Sasha or Sasha-2. I never felt as if the bass was weak when listening to the REF150. In fact, on Sept 2, my dealer had a Wilson event where Sasha-2 were driven by REF75/SP20 combination. The bass was quite good; deep, impactful. That night the Alexia were being driven by D'Agostino electronics and the results there were also excellent with respect to bass reproduction, impact, etc. That said, others have identified several TOP solid state alternatives; Pass, D'Agostino, etc. I have heard the D'Agostino stereo amp and the Boulder 1000 and 2000 series at my dealer driving Wilson Sasha, Sasha-2, Alexia. The bass presentation presented by these different amps was different no doubt but not that markedly different in my opinion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi. I drive my Alexia with ARC Ref 210s that were factory modified to accept the KT120 tubes; same as in your Ref150. I have heard the REF150 drive Sasha, Sasha-2, and Alexia several times at my dealer's location. It is true that the Sasha presents a difficult load for an amplifier. The impedance of the speaker drops just under 2 OHMS in the low bass frequency region if I remember correctly. I have always run my REF210s off of the 4 OHM tap at the output and know that my dealer recommends this as well when driving Sasha or Sasha-2. I never felt as if the bass was weak when listening to the REF150. In fact, on Sept 2, my dealer had a Wilson event where Sasha-2 were driven by REF75/SP20 combination. The bass was quite good; deep, impactful. That night the Alexia were being driven by D'Agostino electronics and the results there were also excellent with respect to bass reproduction, impact, etc. That said, others have identified several TOP solid state alternatives; Pass, D'Agostino, etc. I have heard the D'Agostino stereo amp and the Boulder 1000 and 2000 series at my dealer driving Wilson Sasha, Sasha-2, Alexia. The bass presentation presented by these different amps was different no doubt but not that markedly different in my opinion.
Interesting and good to know...I [think] I recall Martin colloms describing the impedance load of the Sasha...and particularly the sub 2-ohm point, and because of the phase characteristics around this frequency range, he seemed to suggest the amp was seeing the equivalent of a sub 1-ohm load which is quite tough. Again, I [think] this was the speaker he was reviewing...its been a while.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
In the review of ARC Ref 75 by Paul Bolin of the audio beat I learn that the ref 75 was designed and voiced around the Sasha .

I would expect the Ref 150 to be more than adequate for the Sasha

Chrisfrombyron

Sep 7, 2014
Avoca Beach , Australia
Hi rsorren1 , many thanks for the detailed response , I think part of the problem is the room , which has no effective rear wall , just a freestanding fireplace with sides about as high ( almost ) as the woofer module , hopefully the Diablo will arrive on the weekend and we can see how much is attributable to the room , Thanks !!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi rsorren1 , many thanks for the detailed response , I think part of the problem is the room , which has no effective rear wall , just a freestanding fireplace with sides about as high ( almost ) as the woofer module , hopefully the Diablo will arrive on the weekend and we can see how much is attributable to the room , Thanks !!

The room can always be a limiting factor as you suggest. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Gryphon integrated. Let us know your thoughts when you have formed an opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing