Mono Cartridges

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
This may be a dumb question but here goes. I just bought the Beatles mono box. A friend who is a well informed audiophile told me that "modern" mono lps are designed to play as well with stereo cartridges as with mono ones.

Any thoughts?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This may be a dumb question but here goes. I just bought the Beatles mono box. A friend who is a well informed audiophile told me that "modern" mono lps are designed to play as well with stereo cartridges as with mono ones.

Any thoughts?

As well as a mono cart ? that has not been my experience with a boat load of Classic Records mono Jazz reissues.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The answer I suspect is both yes and no. If one is not vested in a decent amount of MONO pressings, then a stereo cartridge using the MONO switch on your amp or using a Double Y connection should suffice. Will it be as good? I don't know, but certainly good enough without the expense of adding a dedicated MONO cartridge.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Any thoughts?

you cannot predict with 100% certainty how modern mono pressings will perform with a dedicated mono cartridge verses a stereo cartridge. I have found about 80% of modern mono pressings sound better with a mono cartridge than a stereo cartridge. and that is with a 6x as expensive stereo cartridge as mono cartridge, a slightly better arm for the stereo, and slightly better phono stage for stereo.

I can say when the mono cartridge sounds better, it sounds considerably better.

my mono Beatles Box is in transit and I do look forward to finding the answer to that question. I have a few Beatles OP monos to compare too.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Any thoughts?

Modern mono LPs sound a lot better when played with my mono Helikon than with my stereo Skala. The sound is more coherent and surfaces are quieter with the mono cartridge. And tone is to die for.

The mono Helikon will be getting a good workout starting this Tuesday. :)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I wonder at what price a Mono cartridge out performs one's more expensive Stereo cartridge.

When I first heard the mono Helikon it was compared to a stereo Clearaudio Insider Gold Reference on an amazing system. At the time the former was priced at around $2k and the latter at around $10k. The cheaper cartridge blew the doors odd the more expensive cartridge on a mono piano recording. I purchased a mono Helikon shortly thereafter even though I didn't have many mono LPs at the time. Even though I don't use it often, I consider myself fortunate to have it.

number95

May 14, 2014
it's simply the physics of the situation. a more direct way to read the information, more dynamic energy and less noise.

almost like a completely different format.

I ordered Miyajima Zero mono cartridge to use with mono recordings, hope I like it.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
As an FYI, where mono cartridges really shine is with old, well-worn mono LPs. Many of my original UK mono Beatles albums are in VG+ condition. The mono cartridge makes these sound like they are in better condition. These would be tough to enjoy with my stereo cartridge.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I ordered Miyajima Zero mono cartridge to use with mono recordings, hope I like it.

congrats!

I've had my eye on the Zero for awhile, as an upgrade to my Miyajima Mono Premium Be. I look forward to your feedback on the Zero.....everything I've heard about it has been a rave.

number95

May 14, 2014
congrats!

I've had my eye on the Zero for awhile, as an upgrade to my Miyajima Mono Premium Be. I look forward to your feedback on the Zero.....everything I've heard about it has been a rave.

Thank you Mike, I hope I can give some feedback soon. I had to choice between 9tt mono or Zero as my dealer had both at stock. 9tt was the more expensive option. Given my limited amount of mono lp archieve and already invested a lot on stereo cartridges, I chose Zero assuming more value for money. Zero is my first mono cartridge but not my first Miyajima as I also own Kansui. If Zero mimics the performance of Kansui for its cost, it will be a winner as I find Kansui a very good performer for the price. I am planning to mount Zero to Ikeda 407 arm first and perhaps I can give it a try with Graham Elite.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire

Any thoughts?

Think about it. We had mono LPs before stereo. When the stereo system came in one important aspect was that existing mono LPs would play fine with the new stereo cartridges. That is why the standard chosen was a 90 degree groove with left channel on one wall and the right on the other. This results in lateral stylus movement being the sum of the 2 channels, ie mono and hence compatibility is assured.
Mono cartridges tend to be lower distortion than stereo though, so if you play mono LPs a lot it may be worth having, don't play a stereo disc with a mono cartridge though, damage to the record is likely.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Ortofon 2M Mono cartridge then replace stylus with a 2M Black Shibata for modern microgroove mono Lps
Or just press the mono button on your pre amp

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A fellow audiophile buddy kindly offered to lend me his Audio Technica AT33MONO. He has a Mayajima which he says better again.

At under $400, this cartridge sounds better than it has any right to on mono albums. For my modest number of mono albums, this might just be the trick after a bit more playing.

15228610999_1e0ce5b8d1_b.jpg

15392470756_7bac136c69_b.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That sounds like a good solution for modest mono collections. I can tell you, the rare lyra Olympos mono deliver dynamics, transparency, extension and speed of the very best estalon of stereo carts with mono records.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
AT33Mono ordered from Japan

Even better is if you, as I did, order it directly from Japan and pay only $235.00 plus EMS shipping. It was delivered to my door in less than a week from time of order. :D I'll be mounting it in the 12.6 arm wand that now takes a back seat to the 12" 3D printed arm that gets the main stereo cart.

John

That sounds like a good solution for modest mono collections. I can tell you, the rare lyra Olympos mono deliver dynamics, transparency, extension and speed of the very best estalon of stereo carts with mono records.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Even better is if you, as I did, order it directly from Japan and pay only $235.00 plus EMS shipping. It was delivered to my door in less than a week from time of order. :D I'll be mounting it in the 12.6 arm wand that now takes a back seat to the 12" 3D printed arm that gets the main stereo cart.

John

Can you provide the link for this? That price is right up my frugal a$$! :D

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing