Mono Cartridges

number95

May 14, 2014
Finally had time to work on Miyajima Zero mono. I mounted it to Ikeda 407 12" tonearm. First impressions, right out of the box, it blows my stereo (and much more expensive) cartridges Ikeda Kai and Zyx Universe Premium. These both look like pussy cats on mono recordings. No comparison, Zero blows away both of these. Given the price differential, I am a believer of mono cartridges. Zero not only has much more musical expression and liquidity, it also has much larger soundstage and inner detail. Compared to Zero, my two stereo cartridges sound compressed with mono recordings. I am sure after 50-100 hours I will love Miyajima Zero.

AnalogJ

Nov 26, 2014
Miyajima Monos Nice, But Not For My Arm

I tried Miyajima mono cartridges (2 different models) on my arm. I could tell that they are wonderfully musical, if not exactly accurate. Unfortunately they are far too uncompliant to work on the dampless JMW9 standard tonearm.

I have been looking for a musical cartridge that will work on my tonearm well (I have a second wand for the table, which is currently cartridge-less). The cheapie Grado ME+ worked really well, but was looking for something better (The Grado wood body cartridges didn't quite track as well on the arm, but might go to one). I tried a Soundsmith, and while I found it smooth and fast, I found it sort of boring on the arm, sort of lacking a sense of musical heart and soul. I also tried a Benz ACE mono, but also found it to be a boring match on the arm (though my Benz M2 stereo is terrific).

I have been looking for a reasonably priced mono that will work on the arm. Though the Audio Technica AT33Mono is a bit on the lighter side (I think the reason that the ME+ worked a bit than the wood body Grado is that the former weighs about 9.5 gms and the former about 6gms -- I could add cartridge weights), I'd like to know more about its musical characteristics. I think a couple of this group (and I'm new to the group as of this post) own this.

The Denon DL102 has been cited as being a really good cartridge, but I'm not sure if it's the best match for the arm either.

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
I tried Miyajima mono cartridges (2 different models) on my arm. I could tell that they are wonderfully musical, if not exactly accurate. Unfortunately they are far too uncompliant to work on the dampless JMW9 standard tonearm.

I have been looking for a musical cartridge that will work on my tonearm well (I have a second wand for the table, which is currently cartridge-less). The cheapie Grado ME+ worked really well, but was looking for something better (The Grado wood body cartridges didn't quite track as well on the arm, but might go to one). I tried a Soundsmith, and while I found it smooth and fast, I found it sort of boring on the arm, sort of lacking a sense of musical heart and soul. I also tried a Benz ACE mono, but also found it to be a boring match on the arm (though my Benz M2 stereo is terrific).

I have been looking for a reasonably priced mono that will work on the arm. Though the Audio Technica AT33Mono is a bit on the lighter side (I think the reason that the ME+ worked a bit than the wood body Grado is that the former weighs about 9.5 gms and the former about 6gms -- I could add cartridge weights), I'd like to know more about its musical characteristics. I think a couple of this group (and I'm new to the group as of this post) own this.

The Denon DL102 has been cited as being a really good cartridge, but I'm not sure if it's the best match for the arm either.

Ortofon Cadenza Mono. Works well on my JMW10.5.

AnalogJ

Nov 26, 2014
Ortofon Cadenza Mono. Works well on my JMW10.5.

Thanks.

Keep in mind, though, that the JMW 10.5 is 1) a higher effective mass arm, and 2) damped. The latter is part of the issue with the JMW9, which has no damping. The latter limits the compatible cartridges. You're also talking a MUCH higher price range than I'm looking at. I'm looking at the <$300 and the AT33MONO can be had direct from Japan to the US. A wood body Grado will work wonderfully with the JMW10.5. If I had a 10.5, I'd probably go for a Grado Statement Platinum Mono (and the Grado monos ARE true mono designs).

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Didn't realize that the JMW9 arm is undamped.

I recently got a Miyajima Zero Mono for my spare VPI 12.5 arm. I gave it it's first big workout, ripping my new Beatles mono box. Very happy with the big sound. The soundstage is wide and deep on most of the cuts, something surprising to many who expect that mono should be narrow and shallow. It approaches my great mono tapes from Tape Project, like Rollin's Saxophone Colossus. I had my cartridge guy, Stirling Trayle (highly recommended!) do the set up, so I didn't have to worry about getting all the settings right. We first tested the cartridge on a few old monos that I have. It really came to life playing one of the two original Blue Note monos (a Jimmy Smith album) that I have. The dynamics are incredible as well as the big sound.

Obviously, a VPI arm makes its much easier to have the luxury of a second cartridge (or third or fourth) with less than a minute to swap out spare arms.

Larry

AnalogJ

Nov 26, 2014
Yes. The standard JMW9 (the non-Signature model) is undamped. HW thinks it's a better sounding arm than the Signature due to it being a one-piece arm as opposed to the Signature, which is 2-piece. The downside, being undamped, is that fewer cartridges will mate well with it.

The Miyajima cartridges are big and meaty, VERY dramatic sounding cartridges. They are a blast to listen to. They are Michael Fremer's and Art Dudley's favorite mono cartridges, but they'll admit that they're not the most resolving or detailed. I'll take their musicality every time. I enjoyed my listening to the Miyajima mono cartridges so much that it made me think about getting a tonearm that is compatible.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yes. The standard JMW9 (the non-Signature model) is undamped. HW thinks it's a better sounding arm than the Signature due to it being a one-piece arm as opposed to the Signature, which is 2-piece. The downside, being undamped, is that fewer cartridges will mate well with it.

The Miyajima cartridges are big and meaty, VERY dramatic sounding cartridges. They are a blast to listen to. They are Michael Fremer's and Art Dudley's favorite mono cartridges, but they'll admit that they're not the most resolving or detailed. I'll take their musicality every time. I enjoyed my listening to the Miyajima mono cartridges so much that it made me think about getting a tonearm that is compatible.

Mono needs a big fat sounding cart to make it sound fleshed out. Otherwise the sound stage is restricted to the middle, thin and not very appealing. That's my take anyway.

AnalogJ

Nov 26, 2014
Sure. But some prefer a leaner, more detailed cartridge. Lyra and Ortofon (the latter I have not heard, the former I have) tend to lean that way, no pun intended.

monotube

Jan 16, 2015
I'm ordering a Miyajima Zero for my mono collection of Decca, RCA, DG all from 50/ early 60 years. I suppose that the best choice is the 1mm stylus, but i would like to know your opinions

number95

May 14, 2014
I'm ordering a Miyajima Zero for my mono collection of Decca, RCA, DG all from 50/ early 60 years. I suppose that the best choice is the 1mm stylus, but i would like to know your opinions

That is what my dealer used to inform me, 1mm stylus should fit better for your needs ie 50/60 years. Otherwise 0.7mm should be better for 60/70 years recordings.

monotube

Jan 16, 2015
Many thanks number95. Ordered with 1mm stylus. In your experience, 407 Ikeda arm is the best match?

number95

May 14, 2014
Many thanks number95. Ordered with 1mm stylus. In your experience, 407 Ikeda arm is the best match?

I think you will love your Zero. What you have asked is a hard one, there are tons of parameters including personal preferences. I can say there should be various feasible tonearms which would be excellent match with Miyajima cartridges and Ikeda is one of them. To me, better mate Miyajimas with heavier tonearms and Ikeda is one of the best out there. The finish and build quality all top notch. I used to try Miyajima Kansui on both Ikeda and Graham (both b44 and Elite) tonearms and concluded that Kansui was showing more of its virtues with Ikeda. Not that I did not like it with Grahams but simply preferred Ikeda for that. I did not try Zero other than with Ikeda and no need for that. Ikeda/Zero combo is really wonderful. Given its relatively reasonable cost, Zero is the best cartridge that I own for performance to price. I got much more mono recordings after installing Zero. Last but not the last, Ikeda tonearms have removable headshells which you can easily swap your cartridges, to me it is a great benefit to keep a mono cartridge with Ikeda.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Mono cartridge for EMT 938/929 combo

hi folks
Im picking up an EMT938/929 combo tonight and besides using it as a second TT for my Rowland Complement, I thought it might be a good chance to test out mono cartridges for my mostly jazz mono LPs
any suggestions for this combo?
the 938 has onboard riaa...not sure if its a mm or mc version, but that can be rectified
best
Leif

Last edited:

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
The older 1940/50’s mono microgroove LP’s used a 1 mill conical stylus and stereo records use a .03x.007 mill elliptical stylus, that’s why the older stereo records had a notice not to play this stereo record on record players with mono cartridges also those old mono cartridges had a VTF of 2 to 8 grams, now the new mono cartridges have .03 conical stylus and a VTF < 2 grams so this leave me to think the new mono records are cut with finer groove than the older microgroove LP’s, now the styli specs are basic and can vary with different manufactures, and I think if you have a good stereo cartridge and your amp/preamp has a mono button the new mono records should sound very good.

jdza

May 3, 2010
hi folks
Im picking up an EMT938/929 combo tonight and besides using it as a second TT for my Rowland Complement, I thought it might be a good chance to test out mono cartridges for my mostly jazz mono LPs
any suggestions for this combo?
the 938 has onboard riaa...not sure if its a mm or mc version, but that can be rectified
best
Leif

If you can still get one and considering your table , I would say the EMT OFD25.I have had great success with it on my EMT 948 ,though it really shines on a massive idler wheel table. I also prefer an offboard phono to the EMT although that still sounds fine. The 929 arm will only just accommodate the weight,although Fabtech may have heavier counterweights. The OFD will run straight into a mm stage but prefers a 1:1 transformer. Sound is huge and bold -an awesome cartridge.

Mine

DSCN0078 by jdza, on Flickr

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
The older 1940/50’s mono microgroove LP’s used a 1 mill conical stylus and stereo records use a .03x.007 mill elliptical stylus, that’s why the older stereo records had a notice not to play this stereo record on record players with mono cartridges also those old mono cartridges had a VTF of 2 to 8 grams, now the new mono cartridges have .03 conical stylus and a VTF < 2 grams so this leave me to think the new mono records are cut with finer groove than the older microgroove LP’s, now the styli specs are basic and can vary with different manufactures, and I think if you have a good stereo cartridge and your amp/preamp has a mono button the new mono records should sound very good.

The actual reason older stereo records had a notice not to play using a mono pickup was the compliance, not the stylus size or shape - stereo pickups also usually had conical stylii.
Mono records only have lateral modulation and mono pickups only had to be compliant in the horizontal plane, whereas stereo uses both vertical and horizontal modulation so mono pickups caused serious groove wear.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
The actual reason older stereo records had a notice not to play using a mono pickup was the compliance, not the stylus size or shape - stereo pickups also usually had conical stylii.
Mono records only have lateral modulation and mono pickups only had to be compliant in the horizontal plane, whereas stereo uses both vertical and horizontal modulation so mono pickups caused serious groove wear.

Further to this, a word of warning - DO NOT play modern mono reissues with a true mono cartridge such as the Miyajima which lacks any vertical compliance. This is because most mono reissues are cut on a stereo lathe, and therefore will not have constant groove depth. Using a cartridge with no vertical compliance risks irreparable damage by literally shaving the peaks off the vertical modulations. This why Jonathan Carr only recommends mono cartridges with at least some vertical compliance.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Further to this, a word of warning - DO NOT play modern mono reissues with a true mono cartridge such as the Miyajima which lacks any vertical compliance. This is because most mono reissues are cut on a stereo lathe, and therefore will not have constant groove depth. Using a cartridge with no vertical compliance risks irreparable damage by literally shaving the peaks off the vertical modulations. This why Jonathan Carr only recommends mono cartridges with at least some vertical compliance.
I know this is a really old thread, but I’m surprised no one responded to this. Is there any additional consensus on this?

Lynnot

Dec 30, 2022
Tremonia
Hi,

just like XV-1 I use one of these AT33Mono cartridges for my mono LPs .

Best buy for the buck.

Nevertheless I'm interested in an Ortofon SPU mono (which is a contradiction in terminis).

Best regards, Tony

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I know it’s not true but latched mono but I’ve had an A-T VM610MONO on order for half a year now. A nice thing with this cart is that I could use a VMN40ML stylus if I want to. Why should styli for mono be spherical only?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing