Air Tight PC-1 Supreme x Lyra Atlas x ZYZ Universe II x Clearaudio Goldfinder v2

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I agree with your experiences. I heard Anna in a different system, it had a very detailed presentation with good dynamics and extention as if it is a refined digital while musically a bit lean compared to Kondo and Air Tight (at the same setup). In case of Zyx vs Ikeda, I have both and again agree with you. They are both extremely musical. That being said, Zyx excels on the neutrality and realism camp as well as excellent resolution especially on the highs. Zyx is also faster in transient response. Both have similar 3-d layering and wide and deep soundstage. Compared to ZYX, Ikeda sounds like a more tuned cartridge which the cartridge maker wants you to get the musical joy and preferences he enjoys. Kai masters on timbres and liquidity. I would give Zyx the priority in terms realism, neutrality, speed, dynamic range, so to me it is the more realistic (or read as better) cartridge. Kai has a more emotional contact with the listener and it goes better in some recordings, it is also relatively more forgiving with less than perfect records. On the other hand, Zyx reminds me that it is build not to exist, ie passing all the information in the groove to the phono stage, no less no more, without a distinctive character. Isn't it the reason to have more than one cartridge?! :D

Number 95, this is an excellent summary. Extremely well written and descriptive. I've not heard these cartridges, but this could have been written about any number of components as it very well communicates your experience in understandable terms to the reader. If only professional reviewers could write with such directness, honesty and clarity.

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
Number 95, this is an excellent summary. Extremely well written and descriptive. I've not heard these cartridges, but this could have been written about any number of components as it very well communicates your experience in understandable terms to the reader. If only professional reviewers could write with such directness, honesty and clarity.

Getting a little off topic, sorry. But see Number95, it's not just me.

number95

May 14, 2014

Thank you Peter.

number95

May 14, 2014

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Number95,

Based on your descriptions, reading all your posts in this thread, it seems that the zyx universe II is a wonderful cartridge, perhaps standing between the Air Tight Supreme and the Lyra Atlas in the spectrum. If I understood correctly, it possibly shows the best characteristics of both Lyra and AT, it seems the ZYX uni II is fast, neutral, detailed and extended without being lean, has body and musicality in addition to top soundstage. Is my understanding correct?

VPN

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Not to muddy the waters but at this level another worthy contender is the Transfiguration Proteus. I have an Atlas and a Proteus and if I had to choose one, it would be the Atlas. I reckon , however, that the Proteus would compare favorably with many of the carts mentioned in this thread. I obviously have not heard ALL the carts.
Best
Pradeep

number95

May 14, 2014
Number95,

Based on your descriptions, reading all your posts in this thread, it seems that the zyx universe II is a wonderful cartridge, perhaps standing between the Air Tight Supreme and the Lyra Atlas in the spectrum. If I understood correctly, it possibly shows the best characteristics of both Lyra and AT, it seems the ZYX uni II is fast, neutral, detailed and extended without being lean, has body and musicality in addition to top soundstage. Is my understanding correct?

VPN

That is right VPN.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

For those who have speakers that extend comfortably down to 20hz, how do these cartridges compare in the 20hz to 40hz range? Especially interested in Lyra Atlas vs ZYX Uni II vs. AT Supreme.
Thanks,

VPN

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Well, it is clear to me that it is not an easy decision. Considering what I read here, private emails, and other sources, some people who have heard the Air Tight Supreme and the Lyra Atlas strongly prefer the AT Supreme and some prefer the Lyra Atlas... Some other prefer the My Sonic Labs Gold Signature vs the AT Supreme and some prefer the ZYX II. Certainly no consensus.

Looking in terms of actual systems listed, I have seen lots of people with the Lyra Atlas, many with the AT Supreme (fewer than Lyra Atlas), and very few with My Sonic Labs Signature gold and ZYX Universe II.

Regarding tonearm combinations for the two that are most popular, I have identified:

1) Lyra Atlas with Schroder LT (3 systems), SME V-12, Reed, Fidelity Research FR-64S, TW Acoustic Raven,

2) Air Tight Supreme with SME V-12 (2 systems), SME V, SME 312s, Durand Talea II (2 systems), Reed 3Q, Triplanar VII Ultimate, Da Vinci 12"

It seems that the Lyra Atlas combines well with the Schroder LT and the AT Supreme combines well with the SME V-12 and Durand Talea II.

Has anyone heard the Air Tight Supreme with the Schroder Linear Tracking?

Last edited:

number95

May 14, 2014
Well, it is clear to me that it is not an easy decision. Considering what I read here, private emails, and other sources, some people who have heard the Air Tight Supreme and the Lyra Atlas strongly prefer the AT Supreme and some prefer the Lyra Atlas... Some other prefer the My Sonic Labs Gold Signature vs the AT Supreme and some prefer the ZYX II. Certainly no consensus.

Looking in terms of actual systems listed, I have seen lots of people with the Lyra Atlas, many with the AT Supreme (fewer than Lyra Atlas), and very few with My Sonic Labs Signature gold and ZYX Universe II.

Regarding tonearm combinations for the two that are most popular, I have identified:

1) Lyra Atlas with Schroder LT (3 systems), SME V-12, Reed, Fidelity Research FR-64S, TW Acoustic Raven,

2) Air Tight Supreme with SME V-12 (2 systems), SME V, SME 312s, Durand Talea II (2 systems), Reed 3Q, Triplanar VII Ultimate, Da Vinci 12"

It seems that the Lyra Atlas combines well with the Schroder LT and the AT Supreme combines well with the SME V-12 and Durand Talea II.

Has anyone heard the Air Tight Supreme with the Schroder Linear Tracking?

Dear VPN,

I presume there is not a single cartridge which makes everything better from the rest. Also, not everyone has the same unique musical tastes and expectations from a cartridge to perform accordingly. Last but not the least, cartridge performances vary greatly due to different tonearms, tonearm cable, phono stage and turntable combinations which make the evaluation of the cartridge harder. So, one should not expect a different case for selecting a cartridge than selecting an amplifier or a speaker. Is there a consensus on speakers? Why should there be for cartridges? Finally, the mentioned cartridges here recommended by the users and/or listeners represent best ones which one can not make a mistake with any of them. That said, only you can choose the right cartridge for you as this is your preferences, your ears, your setup which cartridge will be part of. My two cents...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Unlike speakers or amps, which can be auditioned in the home in numerous setups, cartridges (and even Tonearms to a certain extent) must be evaluated by extrapolating the information gathered by other users. It's a crap shoot a best!

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Based on the views that ocurred more often, and actual systems, If I had a turntable and a phono pre that could take two ams/cartridges, and I had enough money to spare, probably best would be an air tight supreme in a sme v-12 plus a lyra atlas in a schroder LT. However, my turntable can use only one arm and the phono pre too. I have a steve dobbins Technics sp10 mk3 and a Tom Evans mastergroove mk2.

I am sure based on what Number95 and PeterA said, that ZYX Universe II and My Sonic Labs Sig Gold are great optios too, just less known options.

Based on what I read, I have been leaning towards the schroder LT for tonearm, and the Air Tight Supreme for cartridge, so I wonder if they work well together. Has anyone heard this combination?

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Based on the views that ocurred more often, and actual systems, If I had a turntable and a phono pre that could take two ams/cartridges, and I had enough money to spare, probably best would be an air tight supreme in a sme v-12 plus a lyra atlas in a schroder LT. However, my turntable can use only one arm and the phono pre too. I have a steve dobbins Technics sp10 mk3 and a Tom Evans mastergroove mk2.

I am sure based on what Number95 and PeterA said, that ZYX Universe II and My Sonic Labs Sig Gold are great optios too, just less known options.

Based on what I read, I have been leaning towards the schroder LT for tonearm, and the Air Tight Supreme for cartridge, so I wonder if they work well together. Has anyone heard this combination?

VPN, curious of you've made a decision or still thinking...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Unlike speakers or amps, which can be auditioned in the home in numerous setups, cartridges (and even Tonearms to a certain extent) must be evaluated by extrapolating the information gathered by other users. It's a crap shoot a best!

This is not always the case. I auditioned a MySonicLab Signature Gold in my system at length before I decided to buy it. I've also been to friend's houses where others brought cartridges to audition. If a dealer does not have a cartridge for a home evaluation, one can often borrow cartridges from friends to try in one's own system.

It may be more difficult than a home audition of an amp or DAC, but not impossible.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't have the exact carts except for the Atlas. I have 3 Airtight PC-1 Supreme cousins, a MY Sonic Ultra Eminent BC, TD COI and TD Ti, a lower model Zyx (Airy 3 S) and a Gold Finger Statement. Matsudaira's carts share an evenness to presentations particularly when it comes to stage layout for orchestras. The boron cantilevered ones I fined are a little bit more refined and the duralumin ones a little bit more driving. I love the Atlas for its propulsive power and image density, I love it for Jazzzzzzzzzz. The Goldie is a departure from the old CA sound which was very transient focused. The GF v2 and GFS are now much richer harmonically while still maintaing the ability to dig, dig, dig out small details. It is VERY finicky with VTF so have a good scale at hand at all times. The Airy is not in the same class I'm afraid but I would like to hear the Universe which very well might be.

In all as stated by someone earlier, these are all excellent carts that play everything except banged up LPs well. Choosing between them would best be done with one's personal sonic priorities in mind.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

Thank you everyone for your input, both here and by PM! Greatly appreciated!

I decided to go with the Lyra Atlas. The main reason is that I just bought a Schroder LT and the Atlas is known to work well with it. I expect to buy a Lyra Atlas during March or April.

At some point in the future, maybe I will be able to try in my system some other great cartridges such as the Air Tight Supreme, MSL sig gold, ZYX Universe Premium, Lyra Etna, Clearaudio Goldfinger, and Koetsu Coralstone.

Cheers,

VPN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing