Air Tight PC-1 Supreme x Lyra Atlas x ZYZ Universe II x Clearaudio Goldfinder v2

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Has anyone compared some of these cartridges? Impressions and preferences? Thanks

I have a friend with a Lyra Atlas and a Air Tight supreme both on SME V-12 arm (his table takes two arms...uses Purist tone arm cabling and Allnic H5000 phono stage. So as close to a equal a b test as you can get really in vinyl).

The Airtight has a better sense of flow and more beauty in the kids. The Lyra is faster, more transparent, digs out a bit more resolution. Honestly, they are both very close and my preference seems to be by the recording...if the recording is a little dry, I'd take the Air Tight. If the recording has some natural warmth ...the Lyra.

I personally own a Lyra Atlas and love it. Not sure you'll really go wrong with either of these...system matching is always key in vinyl

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Jfrech,

Thank you for the informative comparison! You have an incredible system, congrats! It is quite impressive that your friend has these two cartridges. Both seem great, but I am still not sure which one to pick.

Regarding system matching, I am trying to decide which cartridge to pick, probably between Lyra Atlas and AT Supreme (I will not be able to listen to them in my system prior to purchasing). Remaining of analog front end will be Tom Evans Master Groove mkII (only one input), most likely a Technics SP10mkIII (Steve Dobbins) - only one arm, deciding on arm (most likely Schroder LT, Kuzma 4point or SME V-12 - suggestions are welcome), and have not decided about phono cable. After the analog front end, Krell phantom preamp, Pass XVR-1, two pairs of Krell FPB 750mcx (biamped), custom passive Duelund crossovers and modded Dunlavy SC-VI speakers. Cables are Echole obsession/signature and NBS black label II, and PS P10 power for front end. I listen mostly to rock, pop, jazz, techno, and some classical.

Cheers,

VPN

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Jfrech, I know your friend and he is not on WBF. As he was a long time owner of Dunlavy speakers, has an Sp10 mk3 and V-12 arm and two of the cartridges under discussion here, perhaps you could forward his contact information to VPN.

I own the Airtight Supreme and a My Sonics Labs Signature Gold. The difference between the two is very much as Jfrech describes the Supreme and Atlas. Here is a link to read my thoughts on these two cartridges:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?10183-My-Sonic-Labs-Gold-Signature-VS-Air-Tight-Supreme

There is another member here, Frank750 who owns the Goldfinger on a V-12 arm. I know of one guy who compared the Kuzma 4P to the V-12 and he preferred the latter. If I did not own an SME table and the V-12, I would certainly consider the Schroder LT arm. The SP10 3 would also be my choice of table. You will end up having a great analog front end with any of these choices, IMO.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Peter,

Thank you. I read your review of the AT Supreme and MSL Gold. Very informative!

I suppose you are talking about Albert Porter, I will send him an email.

Based on all the threads and reviews I read so far, it seems the major alternatives are:

1. Schroder LT + Lyra Atlas (a few people with this combination)
2. SME V-12 + AT Supreme (a few people with this combination)
3. SME V-12 + Lyra Atlas
4. Triplanar VII + ZYX Universe II (a few people)
5. Kuzma 4p + (Lyra Atlas or AT Supreme)

Cheers,

VPN

Last edited:

number95

May 14, 2014
Has anyone compared some of these cartridges? Impressions and preferences? Thanks

I have had Lyra Atlas for a couple of weeks to test with my setup. It was mounted to Graham Phantom B-44 and then to Graham Elite (both 9 inch armwands). Then I got Zyx Uni II to try with same set up (this time both on Ikeda 407 12" tonearm and then Graham Elite 9"). I did not have both of the cartridges at the same time but Zyx came right after Lyra so I believe I can make a fair comparison at least to my ears. Atlas is extremely fast, also transparent and analytical (similar to Jfech's feedback) while Zyx Uni excels on flow, neutrality and a soundstage and air hence a realism to hear to believe. I thought of having Atlas but I also had Ikeda Kai which is another excellent sounding cartridge and even tough they had different virtues, I decided that I can live w/o Atlas even if I knew I would miss it. When Zyx arrived and after hours of listening against Kai, to me it was obvious that I needed to keep Zyx, no ifs no buts. I have learned thru many examples that cartridge performance and evaluating different cartridges are very system dependent. For my system and to my musical preferences I have found Zyx upgrading the system to a higher level while providing sheer musicality such that first time since I have been testing cartridges I stopped thinking about audio jargon and I keep listening to vinyl over vinyl.

I think no one can make a mistake to have Atlas or Uni, both are examples of finest cartridges over the planet. I think it depends on personal tastes and rest of the system to decide.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello Number95,

Thank you for your comparison. From what you said, it seems that the ZYX Universe II is similar to the Air Tight Supreme (more flow and musicality) vs. Lyra Atlas (faster, with more detail and extension).

What do you usually listen to?

Cheers,

VPN

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Given your phono stage, amps and speaker - the Atlas may be too revealing?. The Air Tight may be the better choice.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
XV-1,

This is a good question. Is there a point where a system becomes too revealing?

If there is one, maybe AT Supreme or ZYX Universe II are better choices.

I do know that I like bottom octave extension and control, detail, solid soundstage, macrodynamics, and realistic sounds (Humm, I did not leave many attributes out).

VPN

Last edited:

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I have the Lyra Atlas and it is the best Cartridge I have ever owned .
I have not heard the others you are thinking of so I can not help you there. I considered the Anna and the Clearaudio Statement. I bought the Atlas on these reasons be they good or bad in your mind. The Clearaudio the needle sticks out like a sore thumb and I thought it might be a lot easier to damage and it was 5 grand more. The Anna had no faults that I could find thou Ortofon is a sound you like or do not like I had a Blue Royal N SPU and I liked it a lot. The Atlas had this going for it the review from mike Fermer the sound of other Lyras people I new had and the fact people were telling me Lyras have a long life. For better or worse that is why I picked Atlas.

number95

May 14, 2014
Hello Number95,

Thank you for your comparison. From what you said, it seems that the ZYX Universe II is similar to the Air Tight Supreme (more flow and musicality) vs. Lyra Atlas (faster, with more detail and extension).

What do you usually listen to?

Cheers,

VPN

A rough idea may be 50% jazz, 30% classical and 20% rock&other.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
My pick would be the Kuzma 4Point with a Lyra Etna. Both products perform way above their price range.

alexandre

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear from you. As you can see, I decided to put together an analog front end.
It is going to take a few months, but I want to put together set that I won't be changing soon or wishing I had something else (two difficult objectives...).

VPN

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Vicente :)

You're on the right track with the brands/products you've chosen so far!
If you really don't want to be upgrading any time soon, change my recommendation to a Lyra Atlas then! I've only heard the Etna, which is supposed to be "almost an Atlas", for a lot less money. So if you don't want to have the "upgrade bug" after a while, go for the top :)

alexandre

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I have had Lyra Atlas for a couple of weeks to test with my setup. It was mounted to Graham Phantom B-44 and then to Graham Elite (both 9 inch armwands). Then I got Zyx Uni II to try with same set up (this time both on Ikeda 407 12" tonearm and then Graham Elite 9"). I did not have both of the cartridges at the same time but Zyx came right after Lyra so I believe I can make a fair comparison at least to my ears. Atlas is extremely fast, also transparent and analytical (similar to Jfech's feedback) while Zyx Uni excels on flow, neutrality and a soundstage and air hence a realism to hear to believe. I thought of having Atlas but I also had Ikeda Kai which is another excellent sounding cartridge and even tough they had different virtues, I decided that I can live w/o Atlas even if I knew I would miss it. When Zyx arrived and after hours of listening against Kai, to me it was obvious that I needed to keep Zyx, no ifs no buts. I have learned thru many examples that cartridge performance and evaluating different cartridges are very system dependent. For my system and to my musical preferences I have found Zyx upgrading the system to a higher level while providing sheer musicality such that first time since I have been testing cartridges I stopped thinking about audio jargon and I keep listening to vinyl over vinyl.

I think no one can make a mistake to have Atlas or Uni, both are examples of finest cartridges over the planet. I think it depends on personal tastes and rest of the system to decide.

Number 95: How would you say your Miyajima Kansui compares with your ZYX Universe and the ones in the original post? I have been looking at the Kansui and ZYX and have the Triplanar VII arm.

Thanks, Barry

number95

May 14, 2014
Number 95: How would you say your Miyajima Kansui compares with your ZYX Universe and the ones in the original post? I have been looking at the Kansui and ZYX and have the Triplanar VII arm.

Thanks, Barry

Hello Barry,

Kansui is a good performer for the price, it has its own musical soul. Soundstage is bold, timbres are nicely presented with a lovely midrange and good low end texture. I would say it has a bit lush sound compared to Zyx for instance. In terms of resolution, detail, top end texture, speed it lacks the performances of both Uni and Kai. I would say with all due respect to Kansui, it is not at the same league of the other two, but so is the price. I tried it on several tonearms including Graham and decided to use with the heavier Ikeda tonearm which soundstage, air and musical easiness bettered. Its soundstage and imaging gets better when used at 200 ohms with ARC Ref phono 10 at my system compared to 100 ohms for Ikeda and Zyx. At 500 ohms, presentation becomes more vivid but upper end becomes slightly edgy while you start losing some bottom end grip. Hope these help.

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
I have not listened to the Air Tight or the Atlas in my system, so I do not know how they compare to the ZYX. But... the ZYX is a strange cartridge. I hate the way it looks and feels. The Atlas looks like its a million bucks the ZYX 400 bucks. The ZYX does not do anything sonically that really stands out for me, but what it does do is lets me enjoy my records more than anything I have heard before. I just melt into my chair as the music flows through my body. I think very highly of Ortofon's MC Anna, I have one of those too. The Anna sounds like digital done right, a great cartridge but seems to lack some of the soul I hear with the ZYX. The ZYX reminds me of the Ikeda 9TT, just a fair bit better.

Last edited:
Reactions: hongkongfoufou

number95

May 14, 2014
I have not listened to the Air Tight or the Atlas in my system, so I do not know how they compare to the ZYX. But... the ZYX is a strange cartridge. I hate the way it looks and feels. The Atlas looks like its a million bucks the ZYX 400 bucks. The ZYX does not do anything sonically that really stands out for me, but what it does do is lets me enjoy my records more than anything I have heard before. I just melt into my chair as the music flows through my body. I think very highly of Ortofon's MC Anna, I have one of those too. The Anna sounds like digital done right, a great cartridge but seems to lack some of the soul I hear with the ZYX. The ZYX reminds me of the Ikeda 9TT, just a fair bit better.

I agree with your experiences. I heard Anna in a different system, it had a very detailed presentation with good dynamics and extention as if it is a refined digital while musically a bit lean compared to Kondo and Air Tight (at the same setup). In case of Zyx vs Ikeda, I have both and again agree with you. They are both extremely musical. That being said, Zyx excels on the neutrality and realism camp as well as excellent resolution especially on the highs. Zyx is also faster in transient response. Both have similar 3-d layering and wide and deep soundstage. Compared to ZYX, Ikeda sounds like a more tuned cartridge which the cartridge maker wants you to get the musical joy and preferences he enjoys. Kai masters on timbres and liquidity. I would give Zyx the priority in terms realism, neutrality, speed, dynamic range, so to me it is the more realistic (or read as better) cartridge. Kai has a more emotional contact with the listener and it goes better in some recordings, it is also relatively more forgiving with less than perfect records. On the other hand, Zyx reminds me that it is build not to exist, ie passing all the information in the groove to the phono stage, no less no more, without a distinctive character. Isn't it the reason to have more than one cartridge?! :D

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
Wow, yes, right on the nose number95. Well said, I wish I had a way with words like you. I was an A student in math and D student in english!

number95

May 14, 2014
Wow, yes, right on the nose number95. Well said, I wish I had a way with words like you. I was an A student in math and D student in english!

Thanks Mark. I am nobody in English, it is not even my native language btw ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing