Technics Reborn

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lots of SL-1200 fans are hoping for the same Valerio! I have to believe that unit will eventually be a part of it.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are really audiophiles who like the SL-1200? or did we have that discussion before? (I'm not talking about any of the SP-10 models, they are a different beast)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are really audiophiles who like the SL-1200? or did we have that discussion before? (I'm not talking about any of the SP-10 models, they are a different beast)

The SL-1200 was probably their most successful product (40 + years in production), so I'm actually quite surprised this wasn't part of this new rebirth.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well yeah, but AFAIK it was as a DJ and budget table without audiophile aspirations. Back in the '80's and early '90's, when 'tables were the only or at least main game in town, the only people I knew of who used them were high school kids and DJ's. In any reasonable system they sounded grungy (for lack of a better word), and few good cartridges were even usable in its tonearm.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well yeah, but AFAIK it was as a DJ and budget table without audiophile aspirations. Back in the '80's and early '90's, when 'tables were the only or at least main game in town, the only people I knew of who used them were high school kids and DJ's. In any reasonable system they sounded grungy (for lack of a better word), and few good cartridges were even usable in its tonearm.

I don't disagree, but to be fair...it's a workhorse of a table and Technics has never promoted it as an audiophile table.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't disagree, but to be fair...it's a workhorse of a table and Technics has never promoted it as an audiophile table.
Right! So if Technics is being reborn as an audiophile-oriented brand (as it appears) I'm not surprised there is no SL-1200 equivalent. OTOH, even back when both Technics and turntables were going concerns there were many who bemoaned the difficulty of getting an SP-10.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned a Techics SL1210 more than thirty years ago - and sorry it did not sound "audiophile" at all. I remember that the plinth was highly resonant and acoustic feedback was very high. One day we compared it with a friend Thorens TD 160 fitted wit an SME3009 and the difference was enormous - as soon as I could I moved to a better turntable.

Much later I got I SP10 mk2. Unfortunately it was fitted with a standard Technics plinth and also sounded poor - it did not last for long in my system. Today I know that the problem was the plinth, not the motor unit, and that I never listened to the full potential of the great SP10.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
The SL-1200 was probably their most successful product (40 + years in production), so I'm actually quite surprised this wasn't part of this new rebirth.

I'm not, it's all about digital:

"Panasonic today announced the return of the iconic 'Technics' audio brand at the 2014 IFA Consumer Electronics Unlimited Show in Berlin, Germany. The first new Technics Hi-fi products in six years will debut in Europe in December expanding to other regions across the globe, including the US market, in 2015.

The announcement was made by Michiko Ogawa, director of the Technics project. Ogawa, a former Technics audio engineer herself and also a popular, well known jazz pianist in Japan, explained that the new products are based on a concept called the 'Technics Definitive Sound' which builds upon decades of audio technology development and knowhow. The concept is comprised of three major technical elements:

'Accurate Digital Technology': which ensures signal transmission with precise phase and gain characteristics, and ideal power conversion, 'Noiseless Signal Technology': which thoroughly reduces noise to realize equipment ideal for digital audio, 'Emotive Acoustic Technology': which realizes a clear sound image and spacious soundstage with an ultra-wide bandwidth and high dynamic range.

Furthermore, according to Ogawa, the most important mission of the new Technics is to deliver emotionally-engaging musical experiences which are unique to each of us.

"We grow up repeatedly discovering and being moved by new types of music. However as we get older we get distracted by all the things going on in our lives and perhaps misplace the pure love of music. Through the new Technics products we are striving to offer listeners the feeling of 'rediscovering music', by helping them to have such uniquely emotionally-engaging experiences – ones that we seem to have lost", said Ogawa explaining the meaning behind the new slogan of 'Rediscover Music'."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like Panasonic is making a move on Pioneer's TAD. Good luck with that. TAD's got a serious head start and a genius in Andrew.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like sights on Sony's EX digital and SIT amps as well. GaN Mosfets :)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Way more than any sort of 'table I'd love to see an updated RS-1520 (or 1800)!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Way more than any sort of 'table I'd love to see an updated RS-1520 (or 1800)!

Back in the '80's the RS-1500's were my dream machines. It is the most amazing looking machine with its oval center closed loop capstan! Five years ago I finally got one, the first complete renovation by Bottlehead including the BH Prepro. Doubt if Panasonic will go back to R2R. They are doing batteries in a really big way. I have 7104 Panasonic batteries in my Tesla. And Panasonic is Tesla's big partner in their new gigafactory, announced today to be built near Reno. Maybe all the electronics will be battery powered - rechargable like those in my car.

Larry

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
My first real hi-fi was Technics. So many beautiful memories ...

I love the look of the new line. It seems that they decided to follow the steps of Sony, Yamaha and Pioneer, who also after 15+ years of absence, have succesfully returned with stereo separates.

Good luck to them !

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Very good memories of Technics.
Sp-11 Turntable w/Shure cartridge
- loved the turntable
- knowing what I know today I should have changed the tone arm but that was then

SB-7000 Speakers
- we also (my military buddies) had Bose 901s and AR3s and LSTs
- the Techics speakers where super fine playing Linda Ronstadt and Grahm Central Station :)

I had a Technics cassette player but can't remember the model. It got replaced by by a Nakamichi 600 - what a nice player that was.

Good to see Panasonic has brought the line back. It will be interesting to see who it appeals to?

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Wow, I didn't expect that many concerns regarding the SL-1200... maybe that's the piece of equipment that divides the listener community most!
Personally, I doubt it was conceived as an audiophile piece of equipment (while the SP10 was) but it makes/made many not-rich music lovers happy :)

I was anyway pointing on the possibility to have a novel hi-end design of a DD turntable. This new reference series is going to be close to $40k for a system including DAC/Pre, power amp and speakers... no cheap stuff, I'd say. And, also, an ambitious concept, considering the tough competition in the cost bracket.

My first personal piece of equipment was a Technics discman, that I mostly used connected to the old Lenco integrated that my father stopped using. Definitely I'm curious to see what good things would come!

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
BTW, there's an official website: http://www.technics.com/global/

Based on the preliminary specs, it looks like these products will be mostly digitally oriented (as someone has already posted). Only the DAC/integrated amp from the lower profile series has a phono MM input. Thus, I doubt they'll invest on high profile analog anytime soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing