DS Audio's Optical phono cartridge

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

theophile

In as much the same way that Soundsmith's Strain Gauge cartridge is interesting as a Displacement vs Velocity device not needing an RIAA stage to process the signal from the cartridge, There seems to be a dearth of information about this cartridge. I'm sure there would be many audiophiles who would like to know more about its real world performance.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
It still uses a stylus, but optically derives the signal instead of using wire and a magnet, to eliminate the electromagnetic force in the cartridge. Isn't by far the largest force exerted by the stylus moving through the groove, and inertia etc. from the tone arm and centripetal forces? Just how much benefit can there be with this scheme? The optical interface must be interesting... I wonder how much weight the optical sensor(s) add? And what the noise and distortion looks like (all their website says is that it offers the "upmost" in SNR)?

Hate me if you must, but I'd really like to see some specs on this one...

Analog Kid

Sep 17, 2014
It still uses a stylus, but optically derives the signal instead of using wire and a magnet, to eliminate the electromagnetic force in the cartridge. Isn't by far the largest force exerted by the stylus moving through the groove, and inertia etc. from the tone arm and centripetal forces? Just how much benefit can there be with this scheme? The optical interface must be interesting... I wonder how much weight the optical sensor(s) add? And what the noise and distortion looks like (all their website says is that it offers the "upmost" in SNR)?

Hate me if you must, but I'd really like to see some specs on this one...

There is no centripetal (or centrifugal) force involved in playing a record. The arm is not spinning, (other than the negligible rotation of the pivot as the arm traverses the record), the record is. The fact that the record groove is passing the stylus is not related any acceleration-based forces.

theophile

There is no centripetal (or centrifugal) force involved in playing a record. The arm is not spinning, (other than the negligible rotation of the pivot as the arm traverses the record), the record is. The fact that the record groove is passing the stylus is not related any acceleration-based forces.

The force on the stylus is the groove itself having been cut to traverse from perimeter to center of the record. Thus giving a 'push' to one side of the groove and not the other. If the record was cut from center to perimeter(as the rare novelty one is) the 'push' switches to the other wall of the groove.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
All about the new cartridge...

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I love the idea of this (I am a new technology magpie) but most importantly how does it sound - especially compared to the Soundsmith.

Does it allow for replaceable styli at a reasonable cost lie the strain guage?

Is the manufacturer going to give out a warranty?

I am in the mood for a few bits and bobs for a forthcoming turntable project including an mm cartridge - I am overdue a good cartridge and phono stage - this is an intriguing all in one solution.

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
If my memory serves me right this is not new. I think there was a optical cartridge at 80s. Maybe this one is different, i am not sure. Also, finding the needle of old optical cartridge was a problem that i remember.

theophile

If my memory serves me right this is not new. I think there was a optical cartridge at 80s. Maybe this one is different, i am not sure. Also, finding the needle of old optical cartridge was a problem that i remember.

Toshiba OPTI C 100P

Mounted on Toshiba OPTI SR 50 turntable.

Charly

Dec 20, 2015
Hi Peter:

Just joined Whatsbestforum. Noticed you have a video about the DS Audio Cartridge.
Being a non member it would not play for me........However after joining, it still will not play. Says Video is private
Is there a way one can play the video?

Thanks

Charly

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Charly - The problem is with the source of the video on youtube. I copied the linked URL and tried to access it outside of this forum directly on youtube and the video is unavailable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing